News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Standard Road Signs That Are Rare In Certain States

Started by thenetwork, September 16, 2020, 07:56:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

Quote from: tdindy88 on September 16, 2020, 09:18:13 PM
Michigan had a lot of "Pass with care" signs when I recently traveled that way designating stretches of roadway where you could pass along with the normal yellow arrow-shaped No Passing Zone signs. I don't think I've seen "Pass with care" signs in other states but I haven't noticed much so it could be more common. Certainly not in Indiana though.

Minnesota had "Bypass lane" signs for where through traffic can move around left-turning vehicles at various intersections. In Michigan and Indiana these lanes had no signage. Again maybe the sign is used elsewhere.
Michigan still does have a lot of "Pass with care" signs, they are at the start of a passing zone. Then you have the "Do not pass" signs going the other way. These Do Not Pass signs are on the right on a white sign with black lettering and directly across the street is a triangle sign saying, "No passing zone"

I pass those Pass with Care signs all the time in Michigan but haven't seen them in other states.

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: jakeroot on September 18, 2020, 08:00:19 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on September 18, 2020, 06:57:08 PM
There are no "RUNAWAY TRUCK RAMP" signs in Indiana.

I'm going to also assume, then, that there are no actual runaway truck ramps either.

By your logic, we could also say that Hawaii has no "BRIDGE ICES BEFORE ROAD" signs, but then neither Mauna Loa or Mauna Kea have any bridges where it regularly gets below freezing (the peaks), and the vast majority of Hawaii never gets anywhere near freezing temperatures (Honolulu's record low is 52).

I'm not trying to be a dick, but I don't think we need to point out the obvious ones.

The obvious ones are the most fun!

No runaway trucks signs in Florida either...

roadman65

How about PA in rural areas with 55 mph  speed limits? They are rare because of default 55 into law for no postings.

I believe MI lacks 55 mph signs too as US 31 is hardly signed in 55 zones. However since Michigan upped the two lane rural arteries to 60 mph that may be changed.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

GaryV

Quote from: roadman65 on September 19, 2020, 12:14:57 PM
I believe MI lacks 55 mph signs too as US 31 is hardly signed in 55 zones. However since Michigan upped the two lane rural arteries to 60 mph that may be changed.

Michigan has plenty of 55 mph signs. It just may seem like we don't, because no one pays any attention to them.

And some highways in the northern part of the state have been changed from the old Nixon 55 mph to 65 mph.  But it requires an engineering study to determine where the no passing zones go.  (Except for the Seney Stretch, that was easy.)

Flint1979

Quote from: roadman65 on September 19, 2020, 12:14:57 PM
How about PA in rural areas with 55 mph  speed limits? They are rare because of default 55 into law for no postings.

Michigan certainly does not lack any 55 mph speed limit signs. There are a ton of them all over the state.

tdindy88

Bickendan

I'm hard pressed to think of any Yield signs here in Oregon.

US 89

Quote from: Bickendan on September 19, 2020, 11:48:32 PM

Surely you have at least one roundabout...

STLmapboy

Just drove from St Louis to Waterloo IL for a camping trip. I seem to notice that IL doesn't have many distance signs on their roads, or at least in Monroe County.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Bickendan

Quote from: US 89 on September 20, 2020, 12:35:52 PM

39th and Glisan uses full on stop signs.
I'll have to take a drive out toward Forest Grove to check the ones there.

CNGL-Leudimin

The sign above (Priority road) is common all over Europe, but exceedingly rare in Spain. I've only seen a handful in my entire life, and one of them was replaced with this strange thing some time between November 2016 (when I drove that road) and June 2019.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

ethanhopkin14

What about "No Left Turn" at a freeway on-ramp.  This one is the "No Turns" variety.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4172621,-71.2564954,3a,16.4y,322.46h,88.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sKoIjSGXt4ZQ6FuRmEMBMqw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Some states are religious about it, others don't care.  I always found the sign quite odd because it's a completely unnatural turn, but I guess people do turn there. 

Yield signs at freeway entrance ramps.  https://www.google.com/maps/@37.0373986,-77.3888205,3a,34.2y,11.66h,92.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s13NDRDJtqBPegZzOpyalIg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Some states do, others give you the merging arrow implying the ramp must yield.

In states with freeway service roads, a Yield sign on for the through service road traffic is present at freeway on and off ramps, but sometimes it is accompanied with a small sign underneath, black writing on a white field, "To Ramp" .  In Texas, this is very inconsistent.

jakeroot

Quote from: Bickendan on September 20, 2020, 05:05:39 PM
Quote from: US 89 on September 20, 2020, 12:35:52 PM

39th and Glisan uses full on stop signs.
I'll have to take a drive out toward Forest Grove to check the ones there.

Ever heard of a slip lane? Pretty much always used at them: https://goo.gl/maps/iUEq7PAfxXVnaRoP7

Best I've seen, Oregon reserved zebra markings for slip lanes that have a yield for the pedestrian crossing (as opposed to continental lines for signalized crossings). If you see a right turn slip lane with zebra markings, damn good chance it'll have a yield sign. Otherwise it's an add-lane, and those aren't quite as common.

wanderer2575

Quote from: Flint1979 on September 19, 2020, 10:39:31 AM
Quote from: tdindy88 on September 16, 2020, 09:18:13 PM
Michigan had a lot of "Pass with care" signs when I recently traveled that way designating stretches of roadway where you could pass along with the normal yellow arrow-shaped No Passing Zone signs. I don't think I've seen "Pass with care" signs in other states but I haven't noticed much so it could be more common. Certainly not in Indiana though.

Minnesota had "Bypass lane" signs for where through traffic can move around left-turning vehicles at various intersections. In Michigan and Indiana these lanes had no signage. Again maybe the sign is used elsewhere.
Michigan still does have a lot of "Pass with care" signs, they are at the start of a passing zone. Then you have the "Do not pass" signs going the other way. These Do Not Pass signs are on the right on a white sign with black lettering and directly across the street is a triangle sign saying, "No passing zone"

I pass those Pass with Care signs all the time in Michigan but haven't seen them in other states.

Michigan also posts "Do Not Pass When Opposing Traffic Present" signs on rural trunklines where there is a passing lane in the other direction.  I haven't seen that in other states.

renegade

Indiana has a lot of "CHURCH" warning signs on state highways and local roads.  I guess we need to be warned about those. :bigass:
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: renegade on November 04, 2020, 02:18:15 PM
Indiana has a lot of "CHURCH" warning signs on state highways and local roads.  I guess we need to be warned about those. :bigass:

Churches tend to have a lot of traffic entering and exiting the road at one time, so it's more of a traffic warning than about the nature of the facility. "FACTORY ENTRANCE" signs are also common.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

jakeroot

I recently read that WA's WAC (Washington Administrative Code) bans both "BRIDGE ICES BEFORE ROAD" and "HILL BLOCKS VIEW" signs. So don't look for those in WA.

Also, "RAMP METER AHEAD" "RAMP METERED WHEN FLASHING" are not permitted. WA uses "RAMP METERED AHEAD WHEN FLASHING" instead.

thefraze_1020

Quote from: jakeroot on November 04, 2020, 07:01:59 PM
I recently read that WA's WAC (Washington Administrative Code) bans both "BRIDGE ICES BEFORE ROAD" and "HILL BLOCKS VIEW" signs. So don't look for those in WA.

Also, "RAMP METER AHEAD" "RAMP METERED WHEN FLASHING" are not permitted. WA uses "RAMP METERED AHEAD WHEN FLASHING" instead.

I know I have seen "hill blocks view" in Washington multiple times. I just can't remember where.
Alright, this is how it's gonna be!

cwf1701

I seen a few in Alabama also.

thenetwork

Quote from: cwf1701 on November 07, 2020, 08:33:23 PM

I seen a few in Alabama also.

Ohio used to have yellow THEATER  ENTRANCE signs for Drive-In's

rarnold

Quote from: kphoger on September 18, 2020, 02:22:19 PM
Having neither a DO NOT PASS white sign nor a NO PASSING ZONE yellow pennant really annoys me.  It's not always feasible to go by the yellow lines.  As just one example of how it can be difficult, check out the beginning of this no-passing zone, where the lines are half-obscured by crack sealing.

Agreed. I don't need the DO NOT PASS and PASS WITH CARE signs, but the yellow pentagon should be required in all jurisdictions. Not just in hilly terrain, or areas with a lot of turns, but I travel in places that I am not familiar with. Would be nice to have a second indicator besides the faded lane lines.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: jakeroot on September 17, 2020, 04:20:18 PM
The king of links strikes again!!

Also a bit surprised that no one has brought up the "FREEWAY ENTRANCE" sign. Probably since it has its own thread, but it is a standard road sign and is rare in the vast majority of states.

since you mention it... i always wondered about those signs.  i remember seeing on at an entrance to i-80 somewhere in nevada, and thinking to myself why would they even need this sign..

bumping along random county road in nevada 'gee, whats this thing over my head with all the cars whizzing by?'

they do make sense more in urban areas where you never know when some street is going to unceremoniously dump you onto i-whatever with little or no warning. i have seen two in colorado (there's probably more...) - one where us 85 dumps onto i-76 in denver, and one where us 40 dumps onto i-70 eb near empire.. those sort of make sense
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

US71

Quote from: Bickendan on September 17, 2020, 09:38:27 PM
No Passing Zone pendants are non-existent here in Oregon and I haven't seen them in Washington; cant recall seeing them in Idaho.
As far as I can tell, only Douglas County uses the blue pentagon, usually only on street name blades or mile markers.

Arkansas doesn't use pennants at all (except occasionally on a county road, but not posted on the left). Only Do Not Pass signs.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

cpzilliacus

Maryland could, but never uses county route number signs (they are struck from the state MUTCD supplement and as such may not appear on any state-maintained road).  That effectively means that they cannot be used on roads under county maintenance or municipal maintenance either.  Nor does Maryland have a secondary highway system like Virginia and West Virginia do.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

hbelkins

It's rare to see the M2-1 "JCT" banner in Virginia.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.