News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

A "Freeway" Level At-Grade Rail Crossing In Louisiana (While It Lasts)

Started by Anthony_JK, June 22, 2016, 12:17:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony_JK

This is in reference to this particular thread:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=18159.msg2153152;topicseen#msg2153152

I'll leave it to the Wisconsin folks to debate whether those are true freeways, but the example here in Louisiana might be a bit closer to what they are discussing.

This is the US 90 crossing of a Louisiana & Delta RR spur that serves a cane processing plant near Jeanerette, Louisiana, just south of the LA 85 interchange.

The interchanges on both sides of this crossing were built as part of the I-49 South project.

The original plans might have been to abandon the railroad or build a connection to other L&DRR spurs that have grade separations with US 90, such as the ones at LA 327 in New Iberia or LA 83 near Baldwin. However, the plans now are to keep the spur as-is and build an overpass on the US 90 mainline over this spur and grade separate it.

I assume that this is the only case of a "freeway" at-grade rail crossing in Louisiana...but y'all can correct me.

Also...according to the Google, there are some at-grade crossings of US 90 still open in the section between LA 95 and LA 83, including the LA 318 intersection. That will change as well soon, since construction on the long awaited US 90/LA 318 interchange is now underway. Once that is done along with the railroad overpass; all that will be needed to officially dub US 90 into I-49 within St. Mary and Iberia parishes between LA 88 and Ricohoc would be to sever the at-grade crossings.

brad2971

Before LADOTD decides to build that overpass, I hope they study how much traffic is on that spur. If it's once a day or less, proper traffic management devices may be more cost effective than that overpass at this time.

ethanhopkin14

Almost the exact same scenario as in Austin, TX back in the 60s when they built I-35.  There was an at-grade rail road crossing just south of Airport Blvd. because word at the time was that line would be abandoned.  They eventually built an overpass in the late 70's, and that line here in 2016 is still active.

longhorn

I have crossed that railroad a couple of times, I believe the speed limit is 70 a that crossing. Do not know how much traffic is on that line, I be surprised if its one train a day.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: brad2971 on June 22, 2016, 09:19:18 AM
Before LADOTD decides to build that overpass, I hope they study how much traffic is on that spur. If it's once a day or less, proper traffic management devices may be more cost effective than that overpass at this time.

The spur is mostly used in the fall for sugar cane processing, so it's not really in use until that time.

Since this will ultimately be an Interstate highway, there is no option other than an overpass. Plus, it's already funded, with letting and construction set for 2017 at the latest.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.