News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Fatal Accident Involving Bridge Collapse at US-90 and TX-36

Started by AlexandriaVA, July 07, 2016, 06:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexandriaVA

http://www.sealynews.com/breaking_news/article_9ef717a2-4465-11e6-ade2-17c93b4342d3.html

QuoteAt approximately 9:50 a.m., the U.S. Hwy 90 bridge in Sealy collapsed onto Hwy 36 crushing a white Chevrolet vehicle by tons of concrete killing an 11-year-old passenger, one of three in the car.

Chris

jeffandnicole

I don't think the height restrictions were the issue...it was a driver who didn't realize his boom was raised.

QuoteA Texas Disposal Systems garbage truck was travelling southbound on Hwy 36 with its boom raised. The truck hit the warning markers at Hwy 36 and 10th Street, which caution the bridge height at 13 feet 9 inches, according to a driver who was following close behind and recording the incident with a Go Pro camera.

8.Lug

This is actually a fairly common thing for that to happen (driving with a raised boom and subsequently hitting a bridge) but I don't think its very common for it to take out the entire bridge...

Honestly, I blame Texas infrastructure for this one. That bridge was clearly on its last leg.
Contrary to popular belief, things are exactly as they seem.

dfwmapper

The entire bridge wasn't taken out, just the beams that got hit and the part of the deck they supported. I place the blame where it belongs, on the apparently mentally unfit old man driving the garbage truck with the boom up who didn't notice when he hit the overheight warning sign. Maybe a little on the company that was employing a 72 year old man to operate heavy machinery.

US71

Quote from: dfwmapper on July 10, 2016, 12:04:01 AM
The entire bridge wasn't taken out, just the beams that got hit and the part of the deck they supported. I place the blame where it belongs, on the apparently mentally unfit old man driving the garbage truck with the boom up who didn't notice when he hit the overheight warning sign. Maybe a little on the company that was employing a 72 year old man to operate heavy machinery.

The whole bridge is now being removed.
http://www.click2houston.com/news/engineers-decide-to-demolish-sealy-bridge-after-deadly-accident
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.