News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

MA MV inspection now checks condition of license plates

Started by SidS1045, October 07, 2017, 01:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jardine

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 07, 2017, 10:44:23 PM
Quote from: kefkafloyd on October 07, 2017, 09:31:09 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 07, 2017, 09:20:38 PM
That sounds vaguely illegal to me.

Details:

snip

I guess maybe it feels odd to me because in the states I've lived in, it's mandatory that you get new plates every so often–in Iowa, for example, every ten years. On the other hand, we don't have mandatory vehicle inspections, much less yearly ones.

In my experience in rural Iowa, even 10 years can be quite a while for the front plate.  Back one holds up well enough, but the front takes quite a sandblasting from bugs and even the occasional deer.  And then scouring off the gunk and gore with the power washer doesn't help longevity either.

:-o

PHLBOS

Quote from: MASTERNC on October 12, 2017, 09:52:26 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 09, 2017, 12:11:05 PM
Are they doing this to prevent people from using plates that cannot be read on toll roads or at red light/speed camera stations?

In Washington, D.C. and nearby, some people purchase semi-opaque plastic license plate covers, presumably  to make it difficult for photo radar and red light  cameras to read their tags.  Probably also to prevent cameras on toll roads and toll lanes from reading the tags.

The plate covers are illegal, but that is seldom enforced.

I see a number of these in Pennsylvania and Delaware as well, mainly for license plate readers and red light cameras (and maybe toll evasion)
Worth noting:
1.  The legality of plate covers can vary from state to state.

2.  Plate covers have been sold in PA for at least two decades.   Such were, at least initially, marketed as a tool against plate sticker theft/vandalism that was running rampant in southeastern PA (especially in/around Philly) at that time.  Most of these plate cuttings were done quick-and-dirty.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Aerobird

Quote from: storm2k on October 09, 2017, 01:16:10 PMWelcome to the new "cost savings" plans for inspections in NJ. Combine that with the fact that new cars have a 5 year grace on inspections and there's a lot fewer people rolling out for inspections anymore.
The best cost savings, of course, would be to eliminate the inspections altogether.  :pan:
Rule 37. There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'.

NJRoadfan

NJ would have liked to end inspections, but the Clean Air Act requires them.

Aerobird

Quote from: NJRoadfan on October 14, 2017, 02:03:59 PM
Only in certani states, I'm assuming.
Rule 37. There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'.

MASTERNC

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 13, 2017, 08:52:50 AM
Quote from: MASTERNC on October 12, 2017, 09:52:26 PM
Are they doing this to prevent people from using plates that cannot be read on toll roads or at red light/speed camera stations?

In Washington, D.C. and nearby, some people purchase semi-opaque plastic license plate covers, presumably  to make it difficult for photo radar and red light  cameras to read their tags.  Probably also to prevent cameras on toll roads and toll lanes from reading the tags.

The plate covers are illegal, but that is seldom enforced.

I see a number of these in Pennsylvania and Delaware as well, mainly for license plate readers and red light cameras (and maybe toll evasion)
Worth noting:
1.  The legality of plate covers can vary from state to state.

2.  Plate covers have been sold in PA for at least two decades.   Such were, at least initially, marketed as a tool against plate sticker theft/vandalism that was running rampant in southeastern PA (especially in/around Philly) at that time.  Most of these plate cuttings were done quick-and-dirty.

Don't get me wrong.  I have a clear cover because I have a specialty plate.  However, the ones I see are smoke colored or clearly designed to obscure the plate.

cl94

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 09, 2017, 12:55:56 PM
Quote from: 1 on October 09, 2017, 12:33:49 PM

No red light/speed cameras in Massachusetts.
But all its tolled facilities are AET.

Ding ding ding! They've probably been having issues with plates not being read at the toll facilities.

And as far as the covers, they're illegal in New York and New Jersey regardless of color. Tinted ones are illegal in most states. Technically, those plate frames dealers put on are also illegal.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

roadman

Quote from: cl94 on October 16, 2017, 09:47:51 PM
Technically, those plate frames dealers put on are also illegal.
Plate frames are illegal only if they obscure the state name or plate number.  Some states will try to convince you that the frame cannot obscure the state motto as well, but the Supreme Court ruled in a New Hampshire case that people do not have to display the motto.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wooley_v._Maynard
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

cl94

Quote from: roadman on October 17, 2017, 09:49:36 AM
Plate frames are illegal only if they obscure the state name or plate number.  Some states will try to convince you that the frame cannot obscure the state motto as well, but the Supreme Court ruled in a New Hampshire case that people do not have to display the motto.

State names are often partially blocked, at least with the frames I see around here. Per NY law, at least, the frame cannot obscure any portion of a letter in the state name, nor a class designation if it is listed on the plate. Granted, it's generally only ticketed if they want to get you for something.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

southshore720

I would love to view hidden camera footage of an inspector telling a die-hard Greenie holder that they have to surrender their plates. Watch the fireworks fly!

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Aerobird on October 15, 2017, 07:10:20 PM

Certain states...and in some states, only certain counties.

NJ suffers also from pollutants directed easterly from the winds in PA and OH. It's been noted that even if NJ didn't put a single pollutant in the air, our clean air quality would fail from pollutants carried in from other states.

kalvado

Quote from: cl94 on October 17, 2017, 11:34:45 AM
Quote from: roadman on October 17, 2017, 09:49:36 AM

State names are often partially blocked, at least with the frames I see around here. Per NY law, at least, the frame cannot obscure any portion of a letter in the state name, nor a class designation if it is listed on the plate. Granted, it's generally only ticketed if they want to get you for something.

I wonder if that would change with more AET facilities coming up.
Sometimes the way plate looks is state-unique even if state name is hidden (NM, NJ, yellow NY and VT really stand out) , sometimes things are obvious from the format (CA), but some plates - especially special issue custom fancy ones - are impossible to attribute with state name obscured.  Manual processing may help, but then that is an added cost for AET...

cl94

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 17, 2017, 12:06:20 PM
Quote from: Aerobird on October 15, 2017, 07:10:20 PM

Certain states...and in some states, only certain counties.

NJ suffers also from pollutants directed easterly from the winds in PA and OH. It's been noted that even if NJ didn't put a single pollutant in the air, our clean air quality would fail from pollutants carried in from other states.

Yeah, a lot of the acid rain and pollution in all parts of NY comes from PA and OH. Not much will happen to make our air quality better until those states have more restrictions.

As far as certain counties in certain states, I think that, in IL, only the Chicago metro needs emissions inspections. NY emissions inspections are more in-depth in the NYC metro area, but an emissions inspection is a major part of the annual inspection statewide.

kphoger

Quote from: roadman on October 08, 2017, 01:18:07 AM
If the RMV really wants to get rid of greenies, they should allow people to transfer their registration number to the newer Spirit plates.  This is the number one (pardon the pun) reason I've heard as to why people will not give up those plates, even when the RMV was allowing transfer of old plates for free.

I just don't understand this mentality.  It's a serial number, that's it.  It's not like they have a vanity plate or anything.  I couldn't care less what serial number is on my license plate, and I'd get a vanity plate if I did.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SidS1045

Quote from: kphoger on October 17, 2017, 04:31:24 PMI just don't understand this mentality.  It's a serial number, that's it.  It's not like they have a vanity plate or anything.  I couldn't care less what serial number is on my license plate, and I'd get a vanity plate if I did.

No offense, but you don't understand it because you don't live here.  License plates in MA are, to a substantial segment of the population, a prestige item.  Lotteries are held periodically to distribute low-number plates, whose numbers do not change even when the Commonwealth decides to issue new plates.  Low-number (also known as reserved) plates can be left in wills and some such plate numbers have been in the same family for over 50 years.  Like other states, we have specialty plates, but the reserved plates are "worth"  much more.  I have a feeling the greenies are considered equivalent to reserved plates.  (They use a letter/number scheme, NNNLLL, which was not duplicated in the current series.)
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

hotdogPi

Quote from: SidS1045 on October 17, 2017, 09:41:22 PM
Quote from: kphoger on October 17, 2017, 04:31:24 PMI just don't understand this mentality.  It's a serial number, that's it.  It's not like they have a vanity plate or anything.  I couldn't care less what serial number is on my license plate, and I'd get a vanity plate if I did.

No offense, but you don't understand it because you don't live here.  License plates in MA are, to a substantial segment of the population, a prestige item.  Lotteries are held periodically to distribute low-number plates, whose numbers do not change even when the Commonwealth decides to issue new plates.  Low-number (also known as reserved) plates can be left in wills and some such plate numbers have been in the same family for over 50 years.  Like other states, we have specialty plates, but the reserved plates are "worth"  much more.  I have a feeling the greenies are considered equivalent to reserved plates.  (They use a letter/number scheme, NNNLLL, which was not duplicated in the current series.)

I thought the 6-digit greenies were more prestigious than the NNNLLL ones.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

kphoger

No offense taken, and thank you for the explanation.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

PHLBOS

Quote from: 1 on October 17, 2017, 09:59:54 PM

I've stated similar before in this thread & I'll restate/rephrase it again.  The reason for the increased sentimentality with the white/green plates IMHO, regardless of whether it contains a low or vanity number/phrases (such have long since been transferred onto the current design BTW), is the fact that these were the only design that (for standard issue) required just one plate... the rear.  No predecessor nor successor design called for just the rear plate; those designs always required front-and-rear plates.  Until recently, both plates (current design) required registration stickers.  Today, only the rear plate requires a current registration sticker.

Had the white/green plates been a 2-plate issue; I don't think one would be seeing a sentimental-attachment to these plates.

BTW, my last MA registration was a white/green containing 6 numerals (334-406) issued circa 1985.  It was retired in early 1991 when I changed my vehicle registration over to PA.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

kefkafloyd

Quote from: 1 on October 17, 2017, 09:59:54 PM

Indeed they are, but they are still PAN (Passenger normal) plates, which is the same type as normal Spirit plates. For those not in the know, the RMV had two number series when they were first issued green plates until retirement: 123•456 and 100•AAA. A lot of people who has the six digit numerical greenies were actually transfers from six-digit numerical red plates in the 70s. When the Spirit PAN plates were first issued, they started with a remainder of 100•ZZZ to somewhere in the 100•WAA series. So there are red Spirit plates that have a similar looking serial format, but they will never overlap, as no greenies were ever issued from 100•WAA to 100•ZZZ.

They also did very few 123•456 plates with leading zeroes that were omitted on the plate, so you wound up with 001•234 being stamped on the plate as 1•234. That's not the same serial as PAR 1234 so you could see the confusion. The RMV actually recalled these plates and gave people with them new serials.

The Mass RMV doesn't reissue plate serials on the current Spirit PAN plates, even if someone returns old plates. When they run out of serials in a format in Sprit, they switch to a new format. When the plate type changes (e.g. going from the red 1970s plates to the green late 70s/early 80s plates) the numbers are recalled and reused. However, those who had six-digit numerical red plates had the option of keeping those serials when the transition to green plates were made.

Since moving to Spirit plates, the state's gone through several serial formats for PAN plates.

100•ZZZ
123•4AA
1234 AA (yes, there is a difference)
12A A34
123 AA4 (retired due to confusion with October last digits)
1AAA 23 (currently used only on October plates as far as I've seen)
1AA 234

Last year I saw a guy with 666•666 who I am sure is clinging to that plate. But at some point, the state's going to run out of not-confusing alphanumeric serial formats and they're going to want to re-use the 123•456 and 123•ABC series. But I think when that happens, they'll retire both the Spirit and Green formats and introduce a new plate design entirely. I think 123•456 format should be rolled into the PAR type so they can be reiussed when returned, but that's just my opinion.

While PAR and lotto PAR plates are treated specially, it's not like Massachusetts hasn't recalled or "forced" new plates on people in the past. They've also transferred numbers to new designs in the past, and they're even doing it today. The RMV just introduced the new 5X Champions Patriots plates, and you can keep your same serial on the updated plate design if you choose to update your plates.

QuoteI've stated similar before in this thread & I'll restate/rephrase it again.  The reason for the increased sentimentality with the white/green plates IMHO, regardless of whether it contains a low or vanity number/phrases (such have long since been transferred onto the current design BTW), is the fact that these were the only design that (for standard issue) required just one plate... the rear.  No predecessor nor successor design called for just the rear plate; those designs always required front-and-rear plates.  Until recently, both plates (current design) required registration stickers.  Today, only the rear plate requires a current registration sticker.

Unless an actual survey of people with greenies are taken, we just won't know. But I think there's a split between people who care about just a rear plate versus people who wouldn't mind spirit plates if they didn't have to worry about new serials or having the issue come up at inspection time (e.g. if they were just mailed new plates at the time of their reg expiring).

I also see more and more people with Spirit plates simply forgoing their front plate and taking their chances.

But I don't recall ever putting a sticker on a front spirit plate, and I've had those for twenty years. The RMV's only ever given me one plate sticker.

PHLBOS

Quote from: kefkafloyd on October 18, 2017, 09:50:45 AMBut I don't recall ever putting a sticker on a front spirit plate, and I've had those for twenty years. The RMV's only ever given me one plate sticker.
The Spirit plates first rolled out in 1987 initially for commercial vehicles.  The vanity plates received the new design a year later.  IIRC, both of those plates had stickers placed on them.  Back then, the stickers contained the month and year (MM 'YY design).  I will have to ask my older brother (he still lives In MA) about when the RMV stopped issuing dual stickers for dual plates.  Such may have coincided with later-issued Sprit plates having the month listed on the upper-left corner (earlier-issued designs did not include such).  The stickers changed over to just listing the year ('YY) shortly thereafter.

My family's experience with Spirit plates has been very limited.  Prior to his moving to Ohio in the early 90s; my father's plates were still the white/green design.  My mother's latest (& final) registration dated back to the early 90s and was also of the white/green design; probably the final year for such.  Prior to her accident last year; the plate was still in decent shape & probably would've passed the current inspection standards.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 18, 2017, 10:03:17 AM
Quote from: kefkafloyd on October 18, 2017, 09:50:45 AMBut I don't recall ever putting a sticker on a front spirit plate, and I've had those for twenty years. The RMV's only ever given me one plate sticker.
The Spirit plates first rolled out in 1987 initially for commercial vehicles.  The vanity plates received the new design a year later.  IIRC, both of those plates had stickers placed on them.  Back then, the stickers contained the month and year (MM 'YY design).  I will have to ask my older brother (he still lives In MA) about when the RMV stopped issuing dual stickers for dual plates.  Such may have coincided with later-issued Sprit plates having the month listed on the upper-left corner (earlier-issued designs did not include such).  The stickers changed over to just listing the year ('YY) shortly thereafter.

My family's experience with Spirit plates has been very limited.  Prior to his moving to Ohio in the early 90s; my father's plates were still the white/green design.  My mother's latest (& final) registration dated back to the early 90s and was also of the white/green design; probably the final year for such.  Prior to her accident last year; the plate was still in decent shape & probably would've passed the current inspection standards.
The RMV stopped issuing dual stickers for dual Spirit plates when they began issuing Spirit plates for passenger vehicles.  They also simplified the design of the sticker at that time, removing the month notation.  Note that most Spirit plates do not have the month on them (JAN, FEB, etc.).  Rather, special plates are to be renewed by a certain month (my Spirit ham radio plates need to renewed by the end of November), and the renewal month for other plates is supposed to be based on the registration number (as an example, my original 'greenie' plate I got in September of 1987 was 349-MSD.  The '9' indicated the renewal date of September.

As a side note, I must say I am very impressed with the RMV's on-line registration renewal process.  Got the notice in the mail the first week of October.  Renewed on-line a couple of days later, and had my new registration and sticker two days later.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

spooky

I first moved to Massachusetts in summer 1997 and my first Mass plates were Spirit plates issued in early 1998 with the 1234 AB format. The plate faded badly and was rejected at inspection around 2012. I switched to PAS Red Sox plates at that time.

kefkafloyd

Quote from: roadman on October 18, 2017, 10:18:44 AM
The RMV stopped issuing dual stickers for dual Spirit plates when they began issuing Spirit plates for passenger vehicles.  They also simplified the design of the sticker at that time, removing the month notation.  Note that most Spirit plates do not have the month on them (JAN, FEB, etc.).  Rather, special plates are to be renewed by a certain month (my Spirit ham radio plates need to renewed by the end of November), and the renewal month for other plates is supposed to be based on the registration number (as an example, my original 'greenie' plate I got in September of 1987 was 349-MSD.  The '9' indicated the renewal date of September.

I see, and that general issue of Spirit plates for passenger use was around 1993-1994, if I remember correctly. So that would line up with dual stickers going away around then.

From what I've seen most Spirit plates do have months on them, at least for normal PAN, PAR, and at some point commercial plates got the month stamped/printed too, even though all commercial plates renew in December. Some plate types like Hams, vanity, antiques, trailers (usually the ones that renew in November) don't have months, but I'd wager those are the minority. I'm not sure why they don't stamp or print NOV on those plates. I'm at least OK with it since it makes my vanity plates look cleaner.

Brandon

Quote from: Jardine on October 12, 2017, 10:43:47 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 07, 2017, 10:44:23 PM
Quote from: kefkafloyd on October 07, 2017, 09:31:09 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 07, 2017, 09:20:38 PM
That sounds vaguely illegal to me.

Details:

snip

I guess maybe it feels odd to me because in the states I've lived in, it's mandatory that you get new plates every so often–in Iowa, for example, every ten years. On the other hand, we don't have mandatory vehicle inspections, much less yearly ones.

In my experience in rural Iowa, even 10 years can be quite a while for the front plate.  Back one holds up well enough, but the front takes quite a sandblasting from bugs and even the occasional deer.  And then scouring off the gunk and gore with the power washer doesn't help longevity either.

:-o

Of course, next door in Illinois, our last plate switch was in 2000-2001.  It's been 16-17 years since the last one (new, ugly plates have just come out this year).  Then, you have the plates from 2000 through 2002 that are still under a free replacement program due to a recall (that most don't seem to have taken advantage of, or care much about).  The plates would bubble and rust after a few years.  Thus, you have a lot of cars with Illinois plates, and you can't read the number worth a damn due to the bubbling and rusting.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kphoger

Quote from: Brandon on October 18, 2017, 11:42:28 AM
in Illinois ... you can't read the number worth a damn due to the bubbling and rusting.

You can't easily read the first digit of the new plates either, because Lincoln.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.