The 100 Questions Game for Roadgeeks

Started by Roadgeek Adam, August 19, 2009, 11:45:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeek Adam

Over the next four weeks, i will be debuting two road trivia questions for you to answer. This is no normal game as there are several rules.

RULES:

1. You may comment here, but your answers must be sent either to my e-mail at richardpetty43@msn.com or Private Message on the forum. I check my e-mail several dozen times a day, so it won't go unnoticed.

2. You must cite where you found the information, but to make it harder, I have chosen certain sites that you cannot use :|. They are my favorite site, Wikipedia, as well as Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, Mapquest and Google Maps. You may use paper maps, google books, DOT sites, searches, online sites, and of course, roadgeek sites.

3. You'll have two days to answer the debuted questions. Who ever gets it right will gain 1 point for each answer and we will see who wins when all 100 are used up.

4. When you message me via e-mail, please give me your username on the forum.

5. Have fun!

------------------------------------------------

Time for the first two debuted questions:

1) What is the longest state route in the state of New Jersey. How long is it? (Note, NJ 444, NJ 445, NJ 446, NJ 700 (the main highways) do not count)

2) How far is it on New Mexico State Road 6563 from US 82 to the Sunspot Solar Observatory?

--------------------------------------------------

You have 48 hours to answers these questions before I debut Qs 3 and 4. Good luck!
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Roadgeek Adam

With less than 24 hours, I am noticing a weird pattern in these two questions. At 11:45 AM tomorrow, I will post the two answers along the second pair of questions.
Adam Seth Moss

agentsteel53

in the questions themselves, or in the responses you have gotten?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Roadgeek Adam

Yeah, in responses to the questions.
Adam Seth Moss

Roadgeek Adam

If anyone else plans on submitting answers, they have 2 1/2 hours left
Adam Seth Moss

Roadgeek Adam

Anwyay. It is 11:45 EST, meaning the 48 hours have passed. Here are the answers to questions 1 and 2 of the 100Q Contest:

1) What is the longest state route in the state of New Jersey. How long is it? (Note, NJ 444, NJ 445, NJ 446, NJ 700 (the main highways) do not count)
        - The answer as cited by the SLDs and Steve Alpert's site, have detailed that NJ 47 in Southern Jersey at just over 75 miles long is the longest state highway in New Jersey.

2) How far is it on New Mexico State Road 6563 from US 82 to the Sunspot Solar Observatory?
        - The answer as cited by the New Mexico Department of Transportation is just over 15.5 miles long between US 82 and the Sunspot Solar Observatory.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Four people submitted answers for this contest and the standings fall as this:

1) Akotchi - 2 points (The only one to get the second question correct as well as the first)
2) Wytout - 1 point (Got the NJ one correct)
3) AlpsRoads - 1 Point (Got the NJ one correct)
4) NJRoadHorse - 1 point (Only answered the 1st question)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are the next two questions:

3) What route in Litchfield County, Connecticut starts where NY's Dutchess County Route 2 reaches the state line?

4) Exit 159 on Interstate 10 in Texas serves the community of Plateau, Texas. What is the official population for the community of Plateau?

You have another 48 hours. Good luck!
Adam Seth Moss

wytout

QuoteFour people submitted answers for this contest and the standings fall as this:

1) Akotchi - 2 points (The only one to get the second question correct as well as the first)
2) Ytout - 1 point (Got the NJ one correct)
3) AlpsRoads - 1 Point (Got the NJ one correct)
4) NJRoadHorse - 1 point (Only answered the 1st question)...

Would I be correct in assuming that Ytout means wytout?  :sombrero:
-Chris

Roadgeek Adam

Adam Seth Moss

Roadgeek Adam

Anwyay. It is 11:58 EST, meaning the 48 hours have passed. Here are the answers to questions 3 and 4 of the 100Q Contest:

3) What route in Litchfield County, Connecticut starts where NY's Dutchess County Route 2 reaches the state line?
           - Upon crossing the state line, Dutchess County Route 2 turns to the north, while the original right-of-way continues as Connecticut Route 41.
           - Steve Alpert's site is the cited source that I got the most.

4) Exit 159 on Interstate 10 in Texas serves the community of Plateau, Texas. What is the official population for the community of Plateau?

- As cited by The Handbook of Texas, the community of Plateau on Exit 159, which serves a railroad house, has an official population of 5.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This time around, no one gave me a wrong answer :)

Here are the standings for Round 2:

1st place: Akotchi - 4 points
2nd place: Wytout - 3 points
3rd place: AlpsRoads - 3 points
4th place: Dougtone - 1 point
5th place: NJRoadHorse - 1 point

Still a really close competition. These questions will get harder as we go on though, so its going to be harder to find these answers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here we are, questions 5 and 6 of the 100Q competition:

5) Washington has nine state routes that follow ferry routes. However, one does not accept cars, and the entire designation runs along this ferry. What route am I referring to?

6) Manitoba Provincial Road 290 connects drivers from Provincial Road 280 to the community of Sundace, which has since been abandoned. What was the reason for the incorporation of Sundance in the first place?

You have another 48 hours. Good luck!
Adam Seth Moss

Roadgeek Adam

Anwyay. It is 11:45 EST, meaning the 48 hours have passed. Here are the answers to questions 5 and 6 of the 100Q Contest:

5) Washington has nine state routes that follow ferry routes. However, one does not accept cars, and the entire designation runs along this ferry. What route am I referring to?
     - Thanks to AbsoluteAstronomy.com and the WADOT, the only State Route  that uses a passenger-only ferry is State Route 339.

6) Manitoba Provincial Road 290 connects drivers from Provincial Road 280 to the community of Sundace, which has since been abandoned. What was the reason for the incorporation of Sundance in the first place?
      - Although there seemed to be a plethora of different sources, the reason Sundance was incorporated in the first place was to serve as housing for the people who worked at the Limestone Hydro-Electric Dam.

Here are the standings after Round 3:

1st place: Akotchi - 6 points
2nd place: Wytout - 5 points
3rd place: AlpsRoads - 5 points
4th place: Agentsteel - 2 points
5th place: Dougtone - 1 point
6th place: NJRoadHorse - 1 point

This is really getting fun :)

Here are questions #7 and #8:

7)   One single unsigned route in Maryland has the honor of being maintained by the Maryland State Highway Administration in 14 different sections. The 14th designation is xxxAO. What route uses the three Xs?

8 )   New York State Route 330 was decommissioned in 1980. Its northern terminus was NY 79 in the community of Besemer. Where was its southern terminus? (NOTE: Mark Sinsabaugh's New York Routes is not correct)

Anyway, good luck!
Adam Seth Moss

Roadgeek Adam

Anwyay. It is 11:45 EST, meaning the 48 hours have passed. Here are the answers to questions 7 and 8 of the 100Q Contest:

7)   One single unsigned route in Maryland has the honor of being maintained by the Maryland State Highway Administration in 14 different sections. The 14th designation is xxxAO. What route uses the three Xs?
            - As sourced by Mike Pruett's MDRoads, the correct road is Route 948 - which means its 948AO

8 )   New York State Route 330 was decommissioned in 1980. Its northern terminus was NY 79 in the community of Besemer. Where was its southern terminus? (NOTE: Mark Sinsabaugh's New York Routes is not correct)
            - This was hard as there were only two correct sources, the USGS Topo of the area, and the NY Highway Law. The correct southern terminus of Route 330 was the community of Guide Board Corners, where 330 met Tompkins 115 (the old 76 Road).

Question 8 really shook things up, so there's been changes.

Here are the standings after Round 4:

1st place: Akotchi - 8 points
2nd place: AlpsRoads - 7 points
3rd place: Wytout - 6 points
4th place: Agentsteel - 3 points
5th place: Dougtone - 1 point
6th place: Florida - 1 point
7th place: NJRoadHorse - 1 point

Here are questions #9 and #10:

9)  Quebec Route 138 is over 500 miles long. It starts at the New York state line with NY 30. The route continued eastward for the long distance, becoming the easternmost provincial road in Quebec. What town is the eastern terminus?

10) Commonly, rapid transit systems will name stations after route numbers in the local area of the station. What Massachusetts state highway does Amtrak use as a major terminal on its lines?

You have another 48 go!

Adam Seth Moss

agentsteel53

Quote from: Roadgeek_Adam on August 27, 2009, 11:46:24 AM
The route continued eastward for the long distance, becoming the westernmost provincial road in Quebec.

Do you mean that it continues westward, or that it becomes the easternmost provincial road?  Otherwise this sentence implies that the road wraps around the earth.   :pan:

jake@aaroads.com

Roadgeek Adam

Adam Seth Moss

froggie

Also, for clarification, does your QC-138 question cover just the continuous portion through most of the province, or are you also including the segments where QC-138 "ferry hops" further east?

Roadgeek Adam

Adam Seth Moss

Roadgeek Adam

Anwyay. It is 1:22 EST, meaning the 48 hours have passed. Here are the answers to questions 9 and 10 of the 100Q Contest:

9)  Quebec Route 138 is over 500 miles long. It starts at the New York state line with NY 30. The route continued eastward for the long distance, becoming the easternmost provincial road in Quebec. What town is the eastern terminus?
        -The correct answer is the community of Natashquan.

10) Commonly, rapid transit systems will name stations after route numbers in the local area of the station. What Massachusetts state highway does Amtrak use as a major terminal on its lines?
       -This was rather simple, because all you had to do was look at the Amtrak site. The correct answer is Route 128 Station, in Westwood, Massachusetts.

Here are the standings after Round 5:

1st place: Akotchi - 10 points
2nd place: AlpsRoads - 9 points
3rd place: Wytout - 8 points
4th place: Agentsteel - 5 points
5th place: Jdb123 - 1 point
6th place: Dougtone - 1 point
7th place: Florida - 1 point
8th place: NJRoadHorse - 1 point

This is really getting fun

Here are questions #11 and #12:

11) The southern shores of Maine commonly have ferries connecting it from one area to another. What suffixed spur in the area of Wonderland, Maine is the route that serves the Bass Harbor ferries?

12)   Most of the routes on the western shore of Vermont along Lake Champlain used to be ferry connectors to New York. What was the previous designation to current day Vermont Route 129?

Anyway, good luck!
Adam Seth Moss

wytout

X-( is it still breathin' ?
-Chris

Roadgeek Adam

I am really sorry about the dead of this. I have restructured the competition for the same rules except for certain changes.

Changes:
If you get the two questions correct first, you will earn 4 points instead of 2. Everyone else will get 2 or 1 depending. You must have both questions correct for the extra 2.
If you send an incorrect answer, you lose 1 point.
Since it won't be fair, I am evening the other competitors scores for Qs 13 - 100 by using the score of the person who had the highest points prior to death.

-----------------
Standings:

1st place: Akotchi - 10 points
2nd place: AlpsRoads - 10 points
3rd place: Wytout - 10 points
4th place: Agentsteel - 10 points
5th place: Jdb123 - 10 points
6th place: Dougtone - 10 points
7th place: Florida - 10 points
8th place: NJRoadHorse - 10 points
--------------------------------------
Time to get the ball rolling with 3 different questions: (It will be 6 points if all 3 are answered correctly first)

13) Prior to the construction of the Allegheny Reservoir, PA 46 reached the NY state line and NY 280 ended at the now-underwater community of Quaker Bridge. How were these two routes connected?

14) Prior to the second use of U.S. Route 466, where was the original US 466?

15) Which of the following roads in Boca Raton and Delray Beach, Florida is not a current state route? The answer is also a former state road, for a bonus 1 point, give its designation.
      a) Linton Boulevard
      b) Glades Road
      c) Atlantic Avenue
      d) Yamato Road

You have 72 hours for the answers. Good luck!
Adam Seth Moss

wytout

Adam I have to admit that I haven't checked the welcome section in a while. Didn't even realize you revived this a couple weeks ago.  Maybe it should be in a different section?
-Chris

Roadgeek Adam

Figurable. I got one reply, so maybe a  mod can move it to the General talk?
Adam Seth Moss

Riverside Frwy

This would be easier for most people if it covered other areas besides Canada, the East Coast, and Texas.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Riverside Frwy on November 28, 2009, 05:20:42 PM
This would be easier for most people if it covered other areas besides Canada, the East Coast, and Texas.

and wherever the original US 466 was ;)

jake@aaroads.com

Roadgeek Adam

I've been doing different states, just coming on as they do.
Adam Seth Moss

wytout

I think this will get more visibility here in GHT!  So Adam... after a couple troubled starts, gunna give it ago again?  They do say that the third time is the charm! heheh.
-Chris

Roadgeek Adam

Wytout: Who knows

HighwayMaster: I am going to say no. I like trying to learn stuff on my own
Adam Seth Moss

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.