News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Crumbling Infrastructure

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 30, 2009, 08:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

On History International there is a special on America's crumbling infrastructure, the first segment was on brdiges.  I-35 was mentioned along with the I-95 Mianus Bridge in CT was mentioned.  The Tappan Zee was also examined.

Interestingly enough, all these roads weren't here 50 years ago, so this is the FIRST time we are experiencing the decay of our roads and bridges.  I never really think about it.  They said most bridges and roads weren't built to last more than 50 years.  What were they thinking back then?!?!?  Society today would collapse with out them today.

Say waht you want about CT, but ever since the Mianus Bridge collapse in 1983, they are on top of their bridges!  It may be annoying sitting in traffic but at least they are fixing them. 

We have several bridge expansion or replacement projects undereway (such as the Q-Bridge on I-91 in New Haven and the Moses Wheeler Bridge also on I-95 in Milford)  plus studies on replacements such as the proposalto replace the I-84/CT-8 interchange with a four level stack in Waterbury. 
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Bryant5493

S.R. 166/Duncan Memorial Hwy. over the Anneewakee Creek in Douglas County, Ga. is falling apart, due to the flood waters from the Atlanta flood. GDOT has closed S.R. 166 at this point due to this. It was built in 1957, so it was pretty much at the end of its life anyway.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

deathtopumpkins

We have a lot of old bridges around here that are getting really bad. Recently they even closed one it ranked so poorly (Jordan Bridge on VA 337), and others aren't too far behind. Namely the Gilmerton (Military Hwy./US-13 - if you get a chance, you really should drive this one before it closes), High-Rise (I-64), and James River (US-17 & 258) Bridges. All are, to the best of my knowledge anyway, at least 50 years old, and I believe the Jordan Bridge even dated to the 1920s.
And then you have the tunnels...  :ded: the HRBT was built in 1957, widened in 1972, and not touched since.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

froggie

17/258 JRB was built in the early '80s.  And aside from not having shoulders, it's really not that bad.

HRBT was widened in '76.  And the westbound side (the original side) had shoulders added to the bridge spans in 2000-01.  Believe it or not, they've done a fair bit of internal work to the HRBT, though they can't raise the ceiling on it of course.  Which is why we continue to have the overheight truck problem...

One notable old bridge you left out:  Lessner Bridge on US 60/Shore Drive (east of US 13).

leifvanderwall

When you drive in Michigan, especially on I-94, you always see a piece of concrete missing from a bridge or the structure having cracks. Michigan has tried mightily to keep up with the removal and replacements of bridges and repairing the ones they can't remove- like the new Lover's Lane and the reconstructed I-196 overpasses on I-94. In the future, it will only get worse; that is why we have to find new ways to fund our highways. The gas tax and federal stimulus programs just are not enough. Also it will help if we can get some of our citizens back to work as well. You want to know of a real bad looking bridge: the I-94 St Joesph River bridge in Berrien County, MI. There is just hardly any of the concrete railing left on that baby.

akotchi

The Pulaski Skyway in New Jersey is a crumbling structure that comes to mind.  I recall doing traffic counts early in my career at one of the circles underneath and seeing chunks of concrete from the mainline and ramp structure on the pavement.  Condition is (somewhat) better now with a few rehab projects done, but it is still a structure showing its septuagenerian age.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: froggie on October 01, 2009, 06:58:03 AM
17/258 JRB was built in the early '80s.  And aside from not having shoulders, it's really not that bad.

HRBT was widened in '76.  And the westbound side (the original side) had shoulders added to the bridge spans in 2000-01.  Believe it or not, they've done a fair bit of internal work to the HRBT, though they can't raise the ceiling on it of course.  Which is why we continue to have the overheight truck problem...

One notable old bridge you left out:  Lessner Bridge on US 60/Shore Drive (east of US 13).

Oh really?  :wow: Never would have believed the JRB was that new... and it may not be that bad, but the lifts are a pain, as I drive over it at least 4 times a week, and it is really bumpy.

And as for the HRBT, close enough. ;) Construction was started in '72, finished in '76. I got the dates mixed up. And trust me, I can tell they've done work on it, I meant that it has had no MAJOR improvements since (except for the shoulder addition, but that was back when I lived in Yorktown and never really had a reason to cross it so didn't notice).

And I've driven over the Lessner... wasn't aware of how old it is though.

akotchi: I don't care how crumbling it is, just keep restoring it! Things like that are a work of art.  :nod:
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

74/171FAN

Huguenot Bridge(VA 147) in Richmond.  They've been closing one lane of this for years due to its horrible condition and the replacement bridge project still hasn't started  :confused:
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Hellfighter

Many bridges over I-275 in Wayne County are in horrible condition. In some cases, MDOT has erected makeshift walls along the shoulder to hold back falling dirt and concrete. They were supposed to get fixed next year, unfortunately, they lost the funds to do that.

akotchi

Quoteakotchi: I don't care how crumbling it is, just keep restoring it! Things like that are a work of art.

I'm with you, DTP!  I'm glad to see that the State is looking to take steps to restore it.  My office is involved in a contract for feasibility assessment of rehab measures, though I am not actively involved in it.  Some emergency measures have been taken over the last year or so as well.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

myosh_tino

Two examples of crumbling roads in the S.F. Bay Area...

* The High Street bridge on Interstate 880 in Oakland.  On more than one occasion, Caltrans has had to close 1-2 lanes on this overpass during the morning commute because of holes in the roadway so large that you can look down through the hole and clearly see the ground.  Fortunately there are plans to retrofit and/or replace several overpasses that carry 880 traffic through Oakland over the next few years.

*Doyle Drive/U.S. 101 in San Francisco.  Roadway was built at the same time as the Golden Gate Bridge in the 1930's.  Enough said.  Fortunately again, Dolye Drive is also in the process of being replaced.  Construction of the replacement started earlier this year.

Outside the Bay Area, try driving in the slow lane of Interstate 80 as you ascend Donner Summit outside of Truckee.  The pavement is original to when the highway was built and has developed deep ruts caused by decades of use by trucks and autos (with tire chains during the winter).  The good news is most of I-80 through the Sierras is being rehabilitated which includes laying down new pavement.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

agentsteel53

the fact that the concrete has lasted, in passable condition, since 1958, is a testament to how good a material it is.

now why on earth do highway departments use asphalt that lasts five years?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

myosh_tino

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 03, 2009, 11:09:59 PM
the fact that the concrete has lasted, in passable condition, since 1958, is a testament to how good a material it is.

As I understand the I-80 rehabilitation project, they replacing the original concrete with new concrete between Gold Run to east of Truckee.  I-80 around Colfax was originally concrete but since it's lower in elevation, it was repaved with asphalt.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

wytout

QuoteSay waht you want about CT, but ever since the Mianus Bridge collapse in 1983, they are on top of their bridges!  It may be annoying sitting in traffic but at least they are fixing them.

We have several bridge expansion or replacement projects undereway (such as the Q-Bridge on I-91 in New Haven and the Moses Wheeler Bridge also on I-95 in Milford)  plus studies on replacements such as the proposalto replace the I-84/CT-8 interchange with a four level stack in Waterbury.

Another major current bridge project in CT is well underway, rebuilding the SR190 CT River bridge between Enfield and Suffield, the only river crossing between Windsor Locks and the MA state line.
ConnDOT in general annoys the heck out of me, but I must say we are one state that seems seriously committed to fixing it's bridges anyway.
-Chris

Hellfighter

On M-85/Fort St, there's an old bridge that crosses a railyard north of I-75 on the Southwest Side that was built in the '20. As such, it's in deplorable condition and has pieces of crumbling concrete everywhere. There's acually a section where a whole foot and a half of guardrail (or concrete barrier) missing, posing a pedestrian hazard.

leifvanderwall

You would think the stimulus package would have helped Michigan with its roads, but apparently its not even making a dent. I don't like to point fingers but Michigan is going to have find new ways to fund the roads. I was making such a fuss about US 23 not being an interstate , but Michigan has much more problems than just labeling roads. I also think the state of the roads is keeping Michigan from getting jobs. I mean a prospective company would look at our crumbling roads covered with potholes and ask "Do I want my delivery trucks to lose a tire on these highways?" Other states in the midwest have their problems too, but Michigan is in trouble.

roadfro

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 03, 2009, 11:09:59 PM

Well, that stretch of I-80 concrete pavement been passable, but it sure has been far from a smooth ride.  It's certain that use of chains has had a detrimental effect on the ride quality, but I think there's other factors at work as well.  That concrete seems to have aggregate of an unusually large size, which might also be a contributing factor to deteriorating ride quality.

Asphalt pavements are generally designed to last ~8 years before preventative maintenance (overlays, mill & fill, etc.) is scheduled--at least, this was what I learned was fairly typical NDOT practice in pavement design courses I've taken. Such maintenance activities are usually factored in to a long-term (i.e. 30 year) life cycle cost/benefit analysis before the decision to use asphalt or concrete is made.  Other considerations (traffic, weather patterns, etc.) are also weighed in on that decision.  The pros and cons of the asphalt vs. pavement argument were discussed at length in another thread, so I'll leave that issue alone here...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

njroadhorse

When you think crumbling in New Jersey, a few things come to mind:

- NJ 495 freeway: Built between 1937 and 1952, and the section in Hoboken hasn't been touched since.

- US 46 bridge in Dover, although this has been recently redone

- The US 1/9/46 expressway in Ridgefield/Fort Lee, especially at the NJ 93 interchange.

- On the subject of US 1/9, Tonnelle Avenue in general.

- I-80 in Paterson between Exit 57 and Exit 61.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

hm insulators

Many of the freeways in the Los Angeles area.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

WISFreeways

All of the freeways in the Milwaukee area (well, except of the new Marquette Interchange project :-P)
2009-era me chose this generic username...

leifvanderwall

I haven't been to Milwaukee for awhile , how is I-94 holding up ?

WISFreeways

Last time I saw the Zoo Interchange, it was really bad. They really need to repave that part.
2009-era me chose this generic username...

leifvanderwall

I think the government should come up with a stimulus package just for I-94 from the Twin Cities to Port Huron

Stephane Dumas

We could include some Canadian highways in the mix, Quebec roads aren't alll great either and the Turcot interchage in Montreal is very scary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77BVfVplmIM

hm insulators

Switch the location some 3000 miles to the southwest and you could almost be describing some of the infrastructure in Los Angeles!
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.