News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

down facing pull through arrows

Started by Mergingtraffic, November 13, 2009, 02:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

Are down facing pull through arrows still part of the MUTCD manual or are they being faced out for arrows pointing up?
PS. I Like the down facing pull though arrows.

Also, CT has a habit of signing "This Lane Ends 500 Feet" or "Lane Ends Ahead" type signs without a pull through type arrow on it. 
I have seen cases with the arrow on it and it looks much clearer when there is an arrow on it.
See below:

Wouldn't the above "This Lane Ends" sign look better with a pull through type arrow on it?

LOL alert:  of course the lane is ending so where would you pull through to?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Alps

I like LANE ENDS with the arrow beneath.  The downward pointing arrow isn't going anywhere.  The only specification for an upward pointing arrow on the through route is going to be major diverges (replacing diagrammatic signs).

jjakucyk

As I understand the way the MUTCD reads, for your top photo, exit 40, the down-pointing arrows are correct for all signs up until the one right over the actual exit.  For the sign directly over the exit (as the lanes are starting to curve off to the right) then the up-right pointing arrows are to be used.

wytout

I'm not sure of any changes in the standard, but I still prefer down arrows.  To me, the down arrows say, "this lane, this lane and This lane are best for through traffic on I91".  UP arrows to me signify "something" ahead.  The down arrows say, this is where you want to be NOW if you are going through.
-Chris

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.