News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

text-based guide signs instead of shields

Started by agentsteel53, December 14, 2009, 12:51:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wytout

As far as on mileage signs is concerned, there isn't much to say about CT as these are a real rarity to begin with, and I don't think one in the state except for i-91 north coming into hartford has Mileage to a route number (it is an assembly of distances to left exits in hartford... these types of signs are usually not used at all in CT).  The only exception being mileage to the I 84 west interchange (left exit) and that is depicted with a button copy I-84 shield.  In MA I see both.  On the Mass Pike there are Mileage signs that give the distance to "I-495" in text format.  Yet all the signs around the Springfield area use shields on the distance signage.
-Chris

SSOWorld

Quote from: Brandon on December 16, 2009, 05:35:03 PM
Quote from: realjd on December 16, 2009, 08:53:11 AM
Do any other states use shields on distance mileage signs?

The Illinois Tollway has been using them.  Many of theirs around Chicagoland also include the name of the expressway or tollway.  IDOT has only one that I know of on I-80 westbound between US-45 and I-355.
hmmm - Haven't seen those - what IL does last I checked is used BGS's to indicated mileage (having the next three exits on the sign bridge - both tollway and IDOT.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

deathtopumpkins

I've seen both in Virginia, though typically shields are used.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Brandon

Quote from: Master son on December 16, 2009, 06:39:00 PM
Quote from: Brandon on December 16, 2009, 05:35:03 PM
The Illinois Tollway has been using them.  Many of theirs around Chicagoland also include the name of the expressway or tollway.  IDOT has only one that I know of on I-80 westbound between US-45 and I-355.
hmmm - Haven't seen those - what IL does last I checked is used BGS's to indicated mileage (having the next three exits on the sign bridge - both tollway and IDOT.

They have a few.  This is one (please forgive the Google image),

I-355 North of the Spring Creek Toll Plaza: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=41.585144,-88.004855&spn=0,359.995505&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=41.584843,-88.00467&panoid=6S9Ql_0KlrvOrjYqgKANpA&cbp=12,8.92,,0,5.38 The shields are for I-55, I-88, and I-290, respectively.

I've also seen a few on the Tri-State Tollway and the East-West Tollway.  Those carry the name of the expressway or tollway as well as the shields.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SSOWorld

From the reconstruction - they're changing what they do then.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

TheStranger

Quote from: realjd on December 16, 2009, 08:53:11 AM

Do any other states use shields on distance mileage signs? I've only really noticed it in Florida, but I can't say I paid that much attention elsewhere.

California definitely does do that, the one example that comes to mind is I-280 southbound in Santa Clara County a few miles before the Route 85 interchange, in which "Jct 85" is on a distance sign, with shield.
Chris Sampang

LeftyJR

Quote from: PAHighways on December 15, 2009, 06:46:00 PM
Quote from: Truvelo on December 14, 2009, 11:32:01 AMI'm surprised no one's mentioned PA 60 near New Castle which is covered in them.

US 422 has them as well, but they are a dying breed.  US 220 had all text guide signs near Lock Haven before it was rehabilitated this past year.

Pennsylvania used all text guide signs for interchanges with state and US routes (Interstates always used shields) for a time in the 60s and 70s, then they briefly began to use US and PA shields with a black outline as had existed on former 279 at Saw Mill Run Boulevard until 2000.

And all of those signs on US 220 are now Clearview!  Talk about a drastic change.

TheStranger

Saw two NEW text-based signs on 101 southbound in San Mateo tonight...both approaching Highway 92.  "Junction 92" on two straight distance signs, no shield or anything.
Chris Sampang

agentsteel53

those must be extremely new, as I did not notice them when I was there on the 3rd of this month.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 14, 2009, 12:51:46 AM

Does anyone know what the rationale is to avoid shields and use the text-based number representation?  The idea shows up in the 1961 AASHO interstate signing guide, without explanation: on one page, a sign with a shield, and on the next one, a text-based sign.  So I am guessing the various states picked up the habit, but ... why?  Shields look so much better!

New Mexico used these before the mid-1970s. I think it was first-generation interstate signage and didn't survive the conversion to signs with exit tabs - I know of none today.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

joseph1723

Ontario used to use them for the QEW on some signs before the '90s. Now they use the letters "Q.E.W." inside a standard Ontario BGS crown. They're still used for some decommissioned highways where they never renamed the road after decommissioning them and on some VMS guide signs with the abbreviation HWY.

Here's a current picture of a guide sign for former Highway 27:

Here's a picture of a old style QEW guide pull through sign which used "Queen Elizabeth Way" instead of QEW inside a BGS crown like the one for Highway 2 there.

(picture from vintagekingshighways.com)

Sykotyk

mightyace

Near my Dad's house in Bloomsburg @ Exit 241 on I-80 intersecting US 11.  (Button copy, too!)

US 11 Northbound

US 11 Southbound

I-80 WB Exit 241 Ramp

Center tabbed as well!  If you look closely, you can see the where the old exit numbers 36S and 36N were removed.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Truvelo

Speed limits limit life

Brandon

Heh.  And if you'll notice ^^ that Wisconsin has a nasty habit of referring to everything as "Hwy" regardless of class.  16, 35, and 157 are state routes, and 53 is a US route.  Don't worry though, WisDOT does the same thing to interstates.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

shoptb1

Arkansas has started using shields on the clearview mileage signs in lieu of the previous spelled-out text for both listing urban exits, and also long-distance interstate junctions.  The following signs are on I-40 after the sign replacement.

TheStranger

Although one of the accidentally-all-text Route 92 references on US 101 in San Mateo has been given retoreflective greenout as of late, the other is still up:

Chris Sampang

Ian

In case no one has mentioned it yet, Massachusetts used to have all text on their paddle signs:
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

agentsteel53

a tradition that goes back at least 80 years.

1930 photo.  Note the classic Massachusetts font!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Ian

:wow: That paddle sign would look great in my bedroom!
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

WNYroadgeek

florida

As far as I can think, this is the only one I've come across down here.

So many roads...so little time.

kurumi

Connecticut did this in the late 1950s for the CT Turnpike; see Michael Summa's photos at Steve Alpert's site: http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/ct/i-95/s.html. Often the town name was above the "Conn ###" designation on the sign.

Florida also had these signs circa 1977 when I lived there, e.g. "FLA 704" signs on I-95.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Michael in Philly

Quote from: PennDOTFan on August 22, 2010, 11:13:40 PM
In case no one has mentioned it yet, Massachusetts used to have all text on their paddle signs:

Used to?  They don't do that any more?  That's too bad.  It was sort of endearlingly quirky.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.