What is it with highways numbered 74?

Started by Scott5114, January 21, 2010, 09:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

I-74 has two segments... one running from Iowa through Indiana, and then one in NC.

OK-74 has two segments... one running from Tatums through Goldsby, and then one running from Oklahoma City to OK-11 in Grant County.

AR-74 has eight segments.

Anyone know of other messed-up Highway 74s?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

corco

Wyoming Highway 74 is the shortest state highway in Wyoming at .22 miles long

xonhulu

Nothing to note about OR 74.  Sorry!

joseph1723

Ontario Highway 74 was decommissioned in 1997, the only thing odd about it that I read about it was that it ended at a county road instead of another provincial highway.

xcellntbuy

Forty years ago, NY 74 from the Adirondack Northway east to Ticonderoga was actually signed as NY 73 and aptly passes through the town and lake named Paradox. :-D

Bryant5493

Nothing extraordinary about Georgia State Route 74 that I can think of off hand.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

mightyace

Quote from: xcellntbuy on January 21, 2010, 10:14:42 PM
passes through the ... lake named Paradox.

Now, that would be a sight to see.  What did you need one of those amphibious cars?   :sombrero:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

jdb1234

AL 74 is only signed from Exit 7 on Corridor X to US 43/278 in downtown Hamilton.

mightyace

I didn't see anything unusual about either TN SSR 74 or PA 74.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Bickendan

CA 74 is technically discontinuous because of I-215 and CA 79...

Roadgeek Adam

New Jersey Route 74 was never built but is still in state legislature.

Quote from: xcellntbuy on January 21, 2010, 10:14:42 PM
Forty years ago, NY 74 from the Adirondack Northway east to Ticonderoga was actually signed as NY 73 and aptly passes through the town and lake named Paradox. :-D

Well, current NY 74's been that. Also, NY 74's short portion to the ferry was once NY 347.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

kurumi

CT 74 was truncated in 1948 in favor of a rerouted US 44; but then restored to its original eastern terminus in 1982 ("ah, never mind.")

I remember circa 1977 that PGA Blvd in North Palm Beach was marked "S-74" at the time (it's now SR 786).

For number geeks, 74 is two times 37, which figures in all sorts of numbering fun (try 7 x 11 x 13 x 27 x 37)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

WillWeaverRVA

VA 74 begins and ends at bannered US routes (US 23 BUS and US 58 ALT), used to be part of US 58 ALT, and is signed as OLD US 58 ALT (with cutouts!) in a few parts of Norton.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

TheStranger

Quote from: Bickendan on January 21, 2010, 10:53:23 PM
CA 74 is technically discontinuous because of I-215 and CA 79...

Don't forget the unbuilt segment north of Route 111.  And the segment east of I-215 was originally, many decades ago, Route 740...
Chris Sampang

shoptb1

Route 74 in Ohio (I-74) is the shortest 2di in the state at 19 miles in length.  Also the only 2di in Ohio to be entirely contained within a single county (Hamilton).  Of course, it's strange that it STOPS in Hamilton county as well, but that's a story that we're all familiar with. :)

codyg1985

Quote from: jdb1234 on January 21, 2010, 10:31:16 PM
AL 74 is only signed from Exit 7 on Corridor X to US 43/278 in downtown Hamilton.

It's also signed along US 278 in Winston County as well, but disappears once into Cullman County (another ALDOT division).
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

agentsteel53

as far as I know, the only cutout US route marker left in North Carolina is a 74.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

froggie

Part of MN 74 is the last remaining segment of gravel state highway in Minnesota.

As for US 74, not only is it generally north of US 72 as Jake noted, but its western terminus is unsigned...according to both TDOT and AASHTO, it ends at the I-24/I-75 interchange, but it's unsigned along its duplex with I-75.

hm insulators

Arizona 74 is a scenic road I sometimes drive between Wickenberg and I-17.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

roadfro

Nothing crazy about Nevada 74...except that it was renumbered to SR 488 in Nevada's great renumbering in the late 1970s.

This route is the main road into the Lehman Caves Nat'l Monument and Great Basin Nat'l Park.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

mefailenglish

Maryland 74 was decommissioned in 1956 per mdroads.com.   :sleep:

Alps

Quote from: kurumi on January 21, 2010, 11:22:17 PM
CT 74 was truncated in 1948 in favor of a rerouted US 44; but then restored to its original eastern terminus in 1982 ("ah, never mind.")

I remember circa 1977 that PGA Blvd in North Palm Beach was marked "S-74" at the time (it's now SR 786).

For number geeks, 74 is two times 37, which figures in all sorts of numbering fun (try 7 x 11 x 13 x 27 x 37)
There are two locations where this is evident, on US 44 WB approaching CT 74.  The signs saying 74 to I-84 (1 mile and at the split) are patched over US 44 to I-84.  (The middle advance sign was replaced.)  It actually appears that the I-84 shields are patched as well - could be over an old I-84 shield, could be over an I-86 shield!  I gotta get there at night...

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: shoptb1 on January 22, 2010, 07:42:52 AM
Route 74 in Ohio (I-74) is the shortest 2di in the state at 19 miles in length.  Also the only 2di in Ohio to be entirely contained within a single county (Hamilton).  Of course, it's strange that it STOPS in Hamilton county as well, but that's a story that we're all familiar with. :)

It's not strange that I-74 stops in Cincinnati (not just Hamilton Co).  That was it's original destination going back to 1956. This eastern extension has only been on the books for two decades now. 
Now if you are looking irony,  Oh 74 (pre interstate era) extended from Cincinnati on east some 40 miles (or so).  It later became Oh 32 and was 4 laned as part of the Apalachain Highway, which has now been considered for I-74's eastern extension.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

shoptb1

Quote from: osu-lsu on January 23, 2010, 03:46:32 PM
It later became Oh 32 and was 4 laned as part of the Apalachain Highway, which has now been considered for I-74's eastern extension.

Really?  I thought the whole thing had pretty much been written off by ODOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.