News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Distance between Interstate lanes

Started by andrewkbrown, February 16, 2010, 08:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewkbrown

Does anyone know where the greatest distance between opposing lanes on the Interstate Highways? Any out there 1-2 or more miles apart?
Also, what is the longest distance on the interstate where the opposing lanes are far enough to not be seen?
Firefighter/Paramedic
Washington DC Fire & EMS

mightyace

According to a book I have on the construction of I-80, some parts of I-80 have the EB and WB lanes separated by a mile or so.

One that's big enough to show on most maps is I-24 over Monteagle Mtn. in SE Tennessee.  The EB and WB lanes take completely different paths on the southeast side of the summit.

EDIT:
A rough guesstimate via Google Maps is 1.5 to 1.7 miles at its widest point.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=monteagle+tn&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=50.111473,44.033203&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Monteagle,+Marion,+Tennessee&ll=35.207758,-85.748634&spn=0.103511,0.222988&t=h&z=13
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

yanksfan6129

Sir, I give you the east and westbound lanes on I-8 in California. I measured them to be, at their widest point, approximately 1.4 miles apart, via google earth.

Bickendan

What about I-5 north of Santa Clarita, where it crosses over itself? Suddenly, the median is virtually the circumference of the planet...

luokou

Interstate 84 east of Pendleton, OR: at the Cabbage Hill pass, the east and westbound lanes are separated approximately 2 miles apart at its furthest.

Chris

Quote from: yanksfan6129 on February 16, 2010, 09:30:47 PM
Sir, I give you the east and westbound lanes on I-8 in California. I measured them to be, at their widest point, approximately 1.4 miles apart, via google earth.

Just across the border into Mexico, the lanes of the Tijuana - Mexicali toll highway are over 2.6 miles apart.

froggie

From the MTR FAQ, I-24 at Monteagle takes the honors in the US.  The aforementioned I-84, depending on how you measure it, is only about a mile, and even at a stretch isn't more than a mile-and-a-half apart (and that's only if you include the U-shaped curve on WB I-84).

andrewkbrown

Thank you for all the answers. I've even read the MTR FAQ before, and must have missed it.

Now does anyone know where the longest split may be? Where could I drive for the longest and not see the opposing lanes?
Firefighter/Paramedic
Washington DC Fire & EMS

yanksfan6129

Quote from: froggie on February 17, 2010, 07:49:29 AM
From the MTR FAQ, I-24 at Monteagle takes the honors in the US.  The aforementioned I-84, depending on how you measure it, is only about a mile, and even at a stretch isn't more than a mile-and-a-half apart (and that's only if you include the U-shaped curve on WB I-84).

Wow. I just measured Monteagle at its widest point...a full 1.8 miles

Bickendan

Quote from: luokou on February 17, 2010, 04:12:12 AM
Interstate 84 east of Pendleton, OR: at the Cabbage Hill pass, the east and westbound lanes are separated approximately 2 miles apart at its furthest.
Emigrant Hill. Where did the term Cabbage Hill pop up?

mightyace

Quote from: froggie on February 17, 2010, 07:49:29 AM
From the MTR FAQ

When I click on this link, I get a "Reported Attack Site" warning!

EDIT:
This is with Firefox 3.5.7

Here's the diagnostic page:
http://safebrowsing.clients.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?client=Firefox&hl=en-US&site=http://www.roadfan.com/mtrfaq.html#a126
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

deathtopumpkins

Same here, and it won't even let me around it.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

andytom

Quote from: Bickendan on February 17, 2010, 09:33:11 PM
Quote from: luokou on February 17, 2010, 04:12:12 AM
Emigrant Hill. Where did the term Cabbage Hill pop up?
It comes up a creek that splits Emigrant Hill and Cabbage Hill.  I've always heard it referred to as Cabbage Hill or the Pendleton Grade, never Emigrant Hill.  Probably to differentiate it from the grade that the emigrant trail actually used farther to the NE (and the fact that so many other things are referred to as Emigrant X).

--Andy

xonhulu

Quote from: andytom on February 18, 2010, 12:20:34 AM
It comes up a creek that splits Emigrant Hill and Cabbage Hill.  I've always heard it referred to as Cabbage Hill or the Pendleton Grade, never Emigrant Hill.  Probably to differentiate it from the grade that the emigrant trail actually used farther to the NE (and the fact that so many other things are referred to as Emigrant X).

--Andy

I agree: pretty much all the references (traffic cams, ODOT, etc.) are for Cabbage Hill.  It might also be to differentiate the freeway's routing from the older Emigrant Hill Road (former US 30), to the NE like Andy said.

Bickendan

Mmm. Makes sense that old US 30 and not I-84 would be Emigrant Hill. Though I don't care for the name 'Cabbage Hill'.

Sykotyk

I'm surprised "Dead Man's Pass" never caught on more. All I've ever heard it called was "Cabbage", or in joking, "Cabbage Patch".

Sykotyk

andytom

Quote from: Sykotyk on February 18, 2010, 12:42:50 PM
I'm surprised "Dead Man's Pass" never caught on more. All I've ever heard it called was "Cabbage", or in joking, "Cabbage Patch".

It's not really a pass.  At the top, the freeway stays on top of the ridge for 15 or 20 miles before dropping into the valley that it follows into La Grande.

--Andy

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.