News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Modest, Surprising, or Otherwise Indistinguishable Borders

Started by AlexandriaVA, April 27, 2020, 11:15:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

These US/Canadian border communities should have a special arrangement similar to the fronterizo zone of Mexico.  There, as long as you're within that zone, even though you still need a passport, you don't need any other papers.  You can, for example, drive from Laredo into Nuevo Laredo with a passport and short-term Mexican car insurance policy, and not have to stop at the customs office at all when crossing the border (unless you get a red light for search, but in that case the only document they ask for is your passport).  It's only if you drive farther south that you and your car have to have papers.

(Crossing back northbound, of course, is a different deal, but that's just because CBP stops every person every time.  If they didn't do that, would a person still be required to check in of his own accord?  I think that might be true, as that's my understanding of how the Boquillas crossing works.)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheHighwayMan3561

What bugs me more about this is how closely they watch the Estcourt Station scenarios, more like CBP wants "gotchas"  over common sense.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kphoger

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 15, 2020, 01:48:29 PM
What bugs me more about this is how closely they watch the Estcourt Station scenarios, more like CBP wants "gotchas"  over common sense.

The counter-argument, I suppose...

In a town where people are allowed to freely come and go across the border, it would be especially easy for non-residents to sneak across the border as well.  Places like Escourt Station would therefore need closer monitoring.

Of course, I say that's baloney, because where would one even go from there into Maine?  It's... ummm... rather remote.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Brandon

Quote from: Hwy 61 Revisited on May 15, 2020, 12:55:56 PM
Quote from: Brandon on May 15, 2020, 12:46:59 PM
Quote from: Hwy 61 Revisited on May 15, 2020, 12:40:22 PM
This is not about highways.

And your problem with this is....

Doesn't belong in General Highway Talk. And even if it were about highways in the beginning, it has since strayed into international politics.

You do realize that this comes with the territory of "borders"?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kphoger

Quote from: Hwy 61 Revisited on May 15, 2020, 12:55:56 PM

Quote from: Brandon on May 15, 2020, 12:46:59 PM

Quote from: Hwy 61 Revisited on May 15, 2020, 12:40:22 PM
This is not about highways.

And your problem with this is....

Doesn't belong in General Highway Talk. And even if it were about highways in the beginning, it has since strayed into international politics.

OK, let's get back to the main question, then:

What's the best place to get cheap American gas when driving QC-289 through Pohenegamook?
Male pronouns, please.

renegade

Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

KEVIN_224

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on April 27, 2020, 03:00:39 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on April 27, 2020, 02:50:50 PM
Quote from: AlexandriaVA on April 27, 2020, 02:31:54 PM
@Hoo-

Virginia into DC is a case of a geographic feature being a plausible boundary crossing, since a major river is involved.

But there is one area where the river is not really a "plausible geographic" thing–the crossings between Virginia and Columbia Island. None of those are marked as to DC/Virginia and for a couple of them you don't even notice you're crossing a waterway (Boundary Channel).

That's a real good one actually. You can tell from my previous post that I sort-of overlooked it myself (and I'm a lifer).

At least on the Key Bride, the signage is correct, insofar as the "Welcome to DC" sign is on the Rosslyn side of the bridge, not Georgetown.

The DC sign from the Key Bridge, as it looked on May 29, 2015:

Rothman

I liked my stay at the Border Inn at the NV/UT border on US 6/US 50.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ghYHZ

The Aroostook Valley Golf & Country Club and Pro-shop are in New Brunswick but the access road and parking lot are in the State of Maine....... and with the US/Canada border remaining closed until the end of June at least.... it's causing a conundrum for those who want to golf now that New Brunswick is starting to reopen.

https://goo.gl/maps/B4QrrAip9BXWzeLk9

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/aroostook-golf-course-covid-19-border-restrictions-1.5576311

But I don't think New Brunswick is in any rush to reopen its borders. They were early to lock down even the inter-provincial borders with Quebec, Nova Scotia and PEI.....and it seems to have paid off as they only had 120 Covid cases total (all now resolved) and no deaths.

JCinSummerfield

Between Monroe County, MI & Lucas County, OH, the only roads marked with state signs are state & Federal Hwys like I-75, US-24 & M-125.  On local roads, the only way you would know is the Toledo or Sylvania city limit signs driving southbound.

kphoger

I've hardly ever crossed a state line on a county road where there was a sign.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.