News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Does anyone have any pics of NY Thruway's blue signs?

Started by MisterSG1, June 21, 2016, 09:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MisterSG1

I've heard in the past that the New York Thruway once had blue guide signs, similar to how Hwy 407 both ETR and Toll have blue signs in my neck of the woods. Is there anyone who has any pictures of this? Because personally it seems kind of unusual myself.

On the same topic of blue signs, it's been speculated that the decision to use blue guide signs on Hwy 407 in Ontario was inspired by Autoroute 10 in Quebec using blue signs when it was a toll road.

This got me wondering, does anyone know when the blue NY thruway signs were phased out, and if this happened prior to the opening of Autoroute 10, because it could be possible that Transports Quebec took inspiration from the Thruway Authority in using blue signs, but again this is just a hypothesis.

So does any photo evidence exist of the blue Thruway signs?

machias

Quote from: MisterSG1 on June 21, 2016, 09:22:04 PM
I've heard in the past that the New York Thruway once had blue guide signs, similar to how Hwy 407 both ETR and Toll have blue signs in my neck of the woods. Is there anyone who has any pictures of this? Because personally it seems kind of unusual myself.

On the same topic of blue signs, it's been speculated that the decision to use blue guide signs on Hwy 407 in Ontario was inspired by Autoroute 10 in Quebec using blue signs when it was a toll road.

This got me wondering, does anyone know when the blue NY thruway signs were phased out, and if this happened prior to the opening of Autoroute 10, because it could be possible that Transports Quebec took inspiration from the Thruway Authority in using blue signs, but again this is just a hypothesis.

So does any photo evidence exist of the blue Thruway signs?

I can't speak to the last of the blue signs, but the last of the first green signs were phased around in the late 1980s. I believe they had the same format as the blue signs, but I don't know if they were the blue signs that were repainted green.  The format looked like this:

BENNETT ROAD
      Dunkirk
     Fredonia
EXIT 59      1 MILE

I'm thinking the old format green signs weren't the same as the blue signs because the Rochester / LeRoy sign had route shields for I-490 and NY 19 mounted above it that were from the late 1960s.

machias

storm2k

The story I always heard is that the engineer in charge of standards for the Thruway Authority was color blind and thought the blue signs showed up better than green ones.

SidS1045

Bertram Tallamy, superintendent of the NYS DPW while the Thruway was being built, thought blue would be the best background for white lettering on signs, and had all the signs on the Thruway done in blue.  Problem was, he was developing color-blindness.  He was named the Federal Highway Administrator in 1956 as the Interstate Highway System was being designed, and quite naturally he thought blue was the best background for Interstate signs as well.  The FHwA engineers thought green was the best background color, so they set up a soon-to-be-opened section of roadway with signs with blue, green and black backgrounds.  The road was driven on by hundreds of ordinary citizens, who were asked to give their impressions of which signs were most legible.  The test conclusively showed that green was the most favored color by about 2 to 1 over blue.  Black got only about 15% of the vote.  Blue signs are, of course, still in use to direct motorists to services and rest areas.

(Source:  "The Roads That Built America," by Dan McNichol.)
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

empirestate

Bertram Tallamy is best known, of course, for having his name at the top of old USGS topos. :D

iPhone

roadman65

What about that guy who has all the old colored US route shields in Florida?  I forget his name, but maybe he has  them just as he has the old black on white directional guides in some states. So maybe he has them as well as the old Connecticut Turnpike signs that were also blue.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

xcellntbuy

ATLRedSoxFan

I don't have any pictures, but do remember the blue signs as a child when my parents would drive from Cleveland, OH to Montreal to see my grandparents. Also, the I-90 shields had the directional banner below the shields instead of above them. The A-10 Autoroute originally had red signs when it opened and the A-15 had blue signs when it opened. The A-10 ran by the Eastern Townships where my grandparents farm was at near Cowansville.

Sam

I can remember in the early 1970s that the "free" section between Williamsville and Lackawanna had green signs where the toll sections had blue signs. 

cpzilliacus

Quote from: MisterSG1 on June 21, 2016, 09:22:04 PM

First time I rode on the New York State Thruway was in 1967, headed to Expo 67 in Montréal.  The signs on (what is now) the I-87 part of the Thruway were definitely buttoncopy white on blue  then. 

The Northway (I-87 north of the Thruway) was newly complete then (and spectacular, with white shimmering shoulders covered with some sort of crushed stone, possibly limestone). A15 north of the border was an equally spectacular toll road (I think they might  have accepted U.S. currency at the GSP-style toll barriers, not sure, as this was long before I was licensed). I do not remember what colors were used on the signs on A15, but I do recall the U.S.-style EXIT tabs, this being Québec, the tabs read SORTIE instead.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

MisterSG1

Ok, this is all interesting stuff from what people have from memory.

What has the most intrigue to me, is the person who claimed that the section of the Thruway in Greater Buffalo used green signs, while the rest used blue signs....if this is indeed true, what about the section of Thruway beyond the Woodbury toll barrier heading downstate? Assuming that all the tolled sections back then are still the same today.

This post here, if one could verify it, would lead me to believe that the Thruway Authority would use blue signs for toll roads and green signs for non tolled roads. If this indeed were the case, the New England Thruway would have had to use blue signs as well.

ALSO, the idea of red signs seems a bit far fetched to me but interesting nevertheless, A-15 originally had tolls so seeing blue signs there could have been seen as inspiration from what was going on down the road on the Thruway....the MTO years later would take inspiration from Quebec on Highway 407, or this is what is speculated, obviously we would never know for sure where the decisions came from in Quebec and Ontario for blue signs on toll roads. Although Quebec has since reintroduced toll roads, they have not brought back blue signs for these new roads and instead simply use green signs.

Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 24, 2016, 05:34:07 PM
First time I rode on the New York State Thruway was in 1967, headed to Expo 67 in Montréal.  The signs on (what is now) the I-87 part of the Thruway were definitely buttoncopy white on blue  then. 

The Northway (I-87 north of the Thruway) was newly complete then (and spectacular, with white shimmering shoulders covered with some sort of crushed stone, possibly limestone). A15 north of the border was an equally spectacular toll road (I think they might  have accepted U.S. currency at the GSP-style toll barriers, not sure, as this was long before I was licensed). I do not remember what colors were used on the signs on A15, but I do recall the U.S.-style EXIT tabs, this being Québec, the tabs read SORTIE instead.

So did the Northway have green signs back then? I would assume it did.

cl94

Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 24, 2016, 05:34:07 PM

I have seen the pictures of the Northway when it was new. FHWA has a bunch of historical imagery. Nice to see that it really was as nice as it looked. A bit shocking to see that it was asphalt through the mountains, given that New York typically used concrete for everything back then. Believe it or not, many of the bridges between Exits 21 and 24 still have their original decks and railings.

Quote from: MisterSG1 on June 24, 2016, 11:02:54 PM
What has the most intrigue to me, is the person who claimed that the section of the Thruway in Greater Buffalo used green signs, while the rest used blue signs....if this is indeed true, what about the section of Thruway beyond the Woodbury toll barrier heading downstate? Assuming that all the tolled sections back then are still the same today.

This post here, if one could verify it, would lead me to believe that the Thruway Authority would use blue signs for toll roads and green signs for non tolled roads. If this indeed were the case, the New England Thruway would have had to use blue signs as well.

Good question. I'll ask my parents the next time I speak with them if nobody else has an answer. My father's family is from Downstate and they remember those kind of things. Of course, that also raises this question: what color were the signs on I-190 in Buffalo?

Originally, the ticket system ended in Spring Valley with barrier tolls at Tappan Zee and Ardsley, so it was technically only toll-free south of Exit 6. 15 was a ticket exit.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

machias

I remember seeing a movie from the early 1960s with scenes on the Thruway and the exit signs were green. The name of the movie escapes me at the moment but the car being chased ends up in a near vertical position.

Sam

I remember blue signs on the Niagara section, but I was pretty young then, so maybe I'm not remembering right. I do think the Thruway used a slightly different typeface in the blue sign era. Speed limit and yellow diamond signs were just a little different on the Thruway than on other roads.

cpzilliacus

I believe that the signs were white buttoncopy on green.  Had they been some other color (like the Thruway) I would have remembered it, though I was only 8 years old at the time.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

machias

Quote from: cpzilliacus on June 25, 2016, 01:43:28 PM

I believe that the signs were white buttoncopy on green.  Had they been some other color (like the Thruway) I would have remembered it, though I was only 8 years old at the time.

I don't know that the interstates built in the early 60s by what is now NYSDOT had exit numbers. I've found newspaper articles on the building of 81 and there were never mentions of exit numbers.

Sam

This video has some nice stills of old Thruway signs. None in color, but a nice look back:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rlZAgxBrz08

machias

Quote from: Sam on June 25, 2016, 09:21:00 PM
This video has some nice stills of old Thruway signs. None in color, but a nice look back:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rlZAgxBrz08

I can easily remember the signs shown at 6:52 along I-81. They were replaced in 1983 when the roadway was widened and the "bell shaped curve" at exit 24 was bypassed with the new bridge.

AMLNet49

Quote from: Sam on June 25, 2016, 01:29:41 PM
I remember blue signs on the Niagara section, but I was pretty young then, so maybe I'm not remembering right. I do think the Thruway used a slightly different typeface in the blue sign era. Speed limit and yellow diamond signs were just a little different on the Thruway than on other roads.

I've brought this up before in the Clearview thread but didn't get an answer, but I believe the thruway did indeed use a slightly different version of the FHWA font. This font can still be seen on some signs, one that stands out being the Pattersonville Service Area signage, with the most notable different being the "S". In my opinion the Thruway version looks better than the modern version, but I doubt we'll see any new signs with this font. Other places where it can currently be seen are on some of the square-cornered advisory signs approaching toll plazas.

Sam

roadman65

I remember the old Exit 15, before I-287 changed that into Exit 15 and 15A, there was an old blue sign there even in the early 80's.  Then they had one button copy green and one of them referred to NY-NJ as Route 17, most likely because of the two states using that particular route number, but the exit guide from the Thruway itself showed NY 17 going south into NJ on a later added sign. 

Those older blue and one button copy green were either on NY 17 SB at the ramp leading to that former flyover that used to let SB NY 17 onto the toll road and Exit 15 traffic off onto NY 17 NB.  The original Exit 15 as some might of remembered was a trumpet which defaulted into the NJ 17 expressway and movements into Hillburn or from Hillburn used a common loop flyover ramp.  Prior to the Woodbury Plaza further north Spring Valley used to be the southern ticket terminus and Exit 15 had a toll plaza which was why that awkward interchange was there.

Also the NE Thruway had one at US 1 near New Rochelle even in the 80's.  It used "Route 1" instead of US 1 as I guess the NYSTA used "NY" for its own state routes and "ROUTE" for the US routes opposite of what the PA Turnpike did prior to the 1984 button copy change in PA.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

machias

Quote from: roadman65 on June 26, 2016, 04:15:34 PM
I remember the old Exit 15, before I-287 changed that into Exit 15 and 15A, there was an old blue sign there even in the early 80's.  Then they had one button copy green and one of them referred to NY-NJ as Route 17, most likely because of the two states using that particular route number, but the exit guide from the Thruway itself showed NY 17 going south into NJ on a later added sign. 

Those older blue and one button copy green were either on NY 17 SB at the ramp leading to that former flyover that used to let SB NY 17 onto the toll road and Exit 15 traffic off onto NY 17 NB.  The original Exit 15 as some might of remembered was a trumpet which defaulted into the NJ 17 expressway and movements into Hillburn or from Hillburn used a common loop flyover ramp.  Prior to the Woodbury Plaza further north Spring Valley used to be the southern ticket terminus and Exit 15 had a toll plaza which was why that awkward interchange was there.

Also the NE Thruway had one at US 1 near New Rochelle even in the 80's.  It used "Route 1" instead of US 1 as I guess the NYSTA used "NY" for its own state routes and "ROUTE" for the US routes opposite of what the PA Turnpike did prior to the 1984 button copy change in PA.

The Thruway authority used Route for everything on the blue guide signs and the first run of green guide signs.  NYSDOT (and its predecessor) used N Y, U S, etc.

route17fan

Okay, for some fascinating films on YouTube for vintage NY Thruway signs, here are some tidbits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im_w1P7bQKs

Then, a movie called "BUtterfield8" which also has classic white-on-blue signs (with button copy, and general warning signs, like "merging traffic" all white-on-blue)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH1yqy35xbk

The top link's author also has other home movies with both upstate and downstate roads from 1950s and 1960s.
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.