News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

A Little US-50 History in Southern Illinois -- Interesting Article

Started by roadgeek, February 04, 2009, 10:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Life in Paradise

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 14, 2021, 11:13:47 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on March 14, 2021, 01:57:57 PM
Quote from: 3467 on March 14, 2021, 11:48:08 AM
I should add that long before the supplemental freeway system Illinois was working on the 50 corridor and in basically the same location 64 was proposed.
Sometimes I wonder if it would not have been better for I-64 to have taken the US 50/IL and US 150/IN route between St Louis and Louisville, as originally proposed. Of course, had it taken that route, better chances I-24 between Marion and St Louis (at least the Metro East/I-255) would have been built

I still like the one BGS in E St Louis that gives EB I-64 the control of Salem...what could have been...
If I-64 used US 50/US 150 in Indiana, I have a feeling that US 50 between the eastern 50/150 split and the I-275 interchange in Lawrenceburg would be at least a 4 lane expressway. Without an expressway US 50 between those two points, the I-64 routing wouldn't be as competitive in terms of time to the northern I-70/74 routing between St Louis and Cincy.

But with the roads they are today, I think IN 46 between I-69 in Bloomington and I-74 in Greensburg need an upgrade more than US 50 in Indiana, possibly even further west to Terre Haute. Columbus and Bloomington are larger cities than whatever is on US 50.
I wouldn't be against that idea, except that improving IN 46 from Bloomington to Columbus would be like pounding sand.  It was hard enough to get I-69 around Bloomington; you would be taking on the Nashville, IN community for IN 46.

Kniwt

I think IN 46 between I-69 in Bloomington and I-74 in Greensburg need an upgrade more than US 50 in Indiana, possibly even further west to Terre Haute.

I last drove IN 46 from TH to Bloomington in the Before Times, but I definitely noticed an increase in truck traffic. The hills around Spencer desperately need more climbing lanes in addition to the old old one near McCormick's Creek -- not just to get around trucks, but all the locals driving their 1959 Ramblers at 32mph. :)

The alignment through the hills just isn't very good, mostly the original lines. But I agree: Getting any meaningful improvements in the rural areas seems next to impossible now. (Ellettsville to Bloomington is nice now, but that mostly serves commuters.)

edwaleni

Quote from: Kniwt on March 21, 2021, 12:45:45 PM
I think IN 46 between I-69 in Bloomington and I-74 in Greensburg need an upgrade more than US 50 in Indiana, possibly even further west to Terre Haute.

I last drove IN 46 from TH to Bloomington in the Before Times, but I definitely noticed an increase in truck traffic. The hills around Spencer desperately need more climbing lanes in addition to the old old one near McCormick's Creek -- not just to get around trucks, but all the locals driving their 1959 Ramblers at 32mph. :)

The alignment through the hills just isn't very good, mostly the original lines. But I agree: Getting any meaningful improvements in the rural areas seems next to impossible now. (Ellettsville to Bloomington is nice now, but that mostly serves commuters.)

I like that road out of Spencer. Take my motorcycle out and romp on that baby on early Sunday mornings. It's a hoot!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.