News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Planned Freeways?

Started by Voyager, February 08, 2009, 06:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voyager

Are there currently any planned freeways in CA, OR, WA, or HI?
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

corco

In Washington State they are currently  working on converting US-395 into a freeway around East Spokane, hitting north around Lake Mead.  It's unclear if this will receive the Interstate 190 designation once completed but it seems like they are aiming that direction.

They're converting the final stretch of SR 167 from Puyallup to SR 509 in Tacoma into a freeway shortly.

They are planning on expanding the existing SR 509 freeway from I-5 to the current SR 509 freeway in Normandy Park. It is unclear what route designation this would take, the tentative numbering is SR 509, but that would leave it with a discontinuous segment unless they numbered the new construction SR 509 SPUR, which isn't totally out of the question.

Down in Tacoma they have been working for years on getting the State Route 704 freeway built, that would run as a freeway between Fort Lewis and McChord and connect I-5 to SR 7.

All of these are formally approved projects by WSDOT just waiting on funding (except the US-395 North Spokane Corridor project which is currently under construction). It will be interesting to see what happens once the stimulus package gets passed.

mapman

Here are some planned freeways in California (at least those to my knowledge):

CA 4 Bypass -- Brentwood (eastern Contra Costa County) -- will be built/upgraded as a freeway.

CA 52 -- Santee (San Diego County) -- the existing freeway will be extended eastward to CA 67.  May already be under construction.

US 101 -- Willits Bypass (Mendocino County) will be a freeway; Novato Narrows (northern Marin Co. and southern Sonoma Co.) will be upgraded to a freeway.

CA 152 -- US 101 to CA 156 (northern San Benito Co. and southern Santa Clara Co.) -- will be built/upgraded as a freeway (timing and funding unknown).

CA 156 -- Castroville to Prunedale (Monterey County) -- will be upgraded to a freeway.

CA 180 -- Within and west of Fresno (Fresno County) -- freeway extensions are proposed at each end of the existing CA 180 freeway.

CA 905 (future I-905) -- San Diego (San Diego County) -- will be upgraded to a freeway between I-805 and CA 125.

Various sections of CA 58, CA 99, and US 101 throughout California are also planned to eventually be upgraded to freeways.

Voyager

QuoteUS 101 -- Willits Bypass (Mendocino County) will be a freeway; Novato Narrows (northern Marin Co. and southern Sonoma Co.) will be upgraded to a freeway.

Of course now that I don't live up there...

DukeOfURL

They've been talking about that for years, but I see no indication that it's actually gonna happen, though it would be very welcome, it would also kill the economy of Willits.

DrZoidberg

I doubt Oregon even has any future freeways planned.  The state is so anti-freeway (our widest highway is the 6 lane I-5) that I doubt anything will happen in the near future. I'd personally like to see the US 97 corridor upgraded to an eventual I-7.
"By the way...I took the liberty of fertilizing your caviar."

Voyager

Quote from: DukeOfURL on February 09, 2009, 06:40:09 AM
They've been talking about that for years, but I see no indication that it's actually gonna happen, though it would be very welcome, it would also kill the economy of Willits.

Jack in the box can survive with one less store...

mapman

Well, according to the Caltrans web page for the project, http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist1/d1projects/willits/, they have funding for a two-lane highway on the proposed alignment, and construction is set to begin in 2010.  The ultimate plan is to upgrade it to a full four-lane freeway once additional funding is secured.  And Caltrans seems to think that it has the support of the residents and all the necessary politicos of the area.  Or maybe that's just spin.   :spin:

DukeOfURL

Well, like I said before, as someone who lives in a nearby town, it would be welcome, and if it has the support of the locals, great.

Voyager

Even if locals resist it, there is a huge traffic problem in downtown.

TheStranger

In California...I mentioned in another thread that there has been work to extend the Route 70 freeway south from Olivehurst, though not sure of the status of such construction.

Not sure what's the latest on the US 101/Route 156 bypass of Prunedale that has been bandied about for some time.

From Dan Faigin's site...the Route 33/152 bypass of Los Banos to the north is moving along though I don't know when construction will start.
Chris Sampang

Voyager

Doesn't Oroville have some kind of new CA-70 bypass north of the city? A year or two ago I saw parts of it under construction heading south from the Sierras.

TheStranger

That's the 149 upgrade from 2-lane road to full four-lane expressway with two freeway interchanges (at its termini). 
Chris Sampang

Tarkus

Well, Oregon-wise, the one big freeway project that had been planned, the West Eugene Parkway, got killed off a couple years ago, and I've recently read that ODOT no longer owns the land in the right-of-way.  They're supposedly going to widen OR-569 (Beltline Road in Eugene) here at some point, though.  Why they're not doing anything about OR-217 is beyond me.  They seem to be spending all their money in Eugene.

On the Washington front, I know they've been upgrading SR-18 and it's eventually planned to be freeway-grade between I-5 and I-90.  I've heard they've been throwing around the idea of having SR-18 become I-605 when the project is complete.

As far as US 97 goes, the only area where it's really heavily-duty traveled (enough to merit an interstate) is between Madras and the Sunriver area.  I think that making it freeway-grade in those areas makes sense, but elsewhere, not so much.  It's also too far out of the way if it were to be connected into I-82 (and I-82 were to be made into I-7).  US 395 is routed on I-82 at the I-84/I-82 terminus in Hermiston already.  The only larger cities that US 97 hits are Bend and Klamath Falls.  It'd make more sense to have something closer to US 395, which would serve Spokane, Tri-Cities and Reno.  Perhaps a 3di spur/loop of this route could then come off (I-107?) could then serve Bend/Redmond.

Of course, as I said in another thread, it might just make sense to make the existing I-82 into I-7 even now, without any expansion.  

-Alex (Tarkus)

mapman

Quote from: TheStranger on February 10, 2009, 04:11:30 PM
In California...I mentioned in another thread that there has been work to extend the Route 70 freeway south from Olivehurst, though not sure of the status of such construction.

Not sure what's the latest on the US 101/Route 156 bypass of Prunedale that has been bandied about for some time.

From Dan Faigin's site...the Route 33/152 bypass of Los Banos to the north is moving along though I don't know when construction will start.

Yes, I forgot about those, but not all of them will be built soon.  I don't know much about the status of CA 70, although I've heard of that project being proposed. 

US 101/CA 156 is pretty much on hold right now, due to funding problems.  Caltrans and Monterey County are instead focusing on upgrading the existing US 101 corridor, starting with a median closure through all of Prunedale and the addition of three new interchanges (at Russell/Espinosa Roads, at Blackie Road, and at Crazy Horse Canyon/Echo Valley Roads).  I believe that all of the funding has been secured, so construction should be starting within the next year or two.  In the longer term, Caltrans has developed a conceptual layout for a freeway-to-freeway interchange between US 101 and CA 156, which also involves an interchange at Berta Canyon Road.  No construction date is set for that.

While the Los Banos bypass (CA 152/CA 33) will be a freeway, due to funding problems, they won't built the whole thing in one shot.  My understanding is that they only plan to built half of it right away (the western half), and build the rest once more funding can be found.  The last I heard, construction should start in 2013.

DukeOfURL

I remember about a year and a half ago there was a big deal about some FedEx truck that fell through the then under-construction 149 portion.

Voyager

Yeah, part of the new construction collapsed onto 149 I believe.

Tarkus

I realized I actually forgot a freeway project in Oregon that actually hasn't been canceled--the Sunrise Corridor project, which is supposed to upgrade OR-212 to freeway status between I-205 and Damascus. 

It would kind of make sense to one day extend it up to I-84 and perhaps make it into "I-284" or something at some point--it would greatly alleviate things on the Gresham end.  The eastside of Portland, though, already has a good share of freeways compared to the western side.  I'd want to see the Westside Bypass go in first myself.

-Alex (Tarkus)

njroadhorse

That Westside Bypass would certainly ease things up.  Lord knowns what a nightmare 5 is at rush hour  :wow:
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Fcexpress80

As a road infrastructure enthusiast I have a deep interest in how the states of WA and OR will handle traffic design for the next 50 years.  Assuming that cars will become more "Green" and that most of us continue to agree that ones car equals ones freedom, then our two states need to plan and build freeways.  Not based on what we need now, but based on what we need for the future.  Since I live in WA, I am more biased towards WA road solutions.  This doesn't mean I care less about OR roads as I do not know the lay of the land there, so to speak.  My following posts will detail what I see as the next generation of roads and freeway projects this region should build to continue to provide infrastructure to a growing population.

Fcexpress80

Washington (and Oregon) Roads of the Future:

I-905: Bellingham, WA to Sumas border crossing into British Columbia.  Continues on the Canadian side to link with Trans-Canada Hwy 1, a freeway.  This freeway provides a more direct corridor to move goods and traffic from central BC and Alberta to ports in Bellingham and Seattle.

I-605: The Puget Sound Metro Loop.  McChord AFB, WA to Marysville, WA via the Maple and Snoqualmie Valleys.  This loop corridor follows many already established freeway/highway sections of WA-512, WA-18, WA-202, WA-203 and US-2.  Provides bypass alternative to the more urban I-5 and I-405.

I-505: Tacoma, WA to Hood Canal Bridge.  Combines already established freeway sections of WA-16 and WA-3.  Provides a federal highway to military interests on the Kitsap Peninsula.

Upgrade US-2 from Everett, WA to Wenatchee, WA.  Super 2 with expanded freeway options and town bypasses.  Current highway is a killer road.  New road provides another safe route over the Cascades.

I-9: Extend I-82 from Ellensburg, WA over Mission Ridge/Colockum Pass areas to Wenatchee, WA.  Although this makes I-82 more of a N/S freeway from its start in Hermiston, OR, maybe renumber this Interstate "I-9."  Would provide easy access to the current wind powered generators in the area.  Would provide a better connection to US-97 as it continues north up the Columbia River and the Okanogan Valley and British Columbia.

I-490: Redesignate US-395 between Ritzville, WA (I-90) and the Tri-Cities (current I-82) as I-490.  This road is nearing completion as a freeway and, to me, this is a "no-brainer."

Complete the North/South Freeway (US-395) in Spokane. 

I-290: Airway Heights to Idaho border.  Provides an E/W loop freeway around the northern areas of Spokane, WA.  Portions of corridor already signed as WA-290.

WA 410: Naches Pass Tunnel road.  Super 2 this road from Sumner, WA to its junction to US-12 west of Naches, WA.  Would bypass current alignment through Mount Rainier Park.  Would provide an easier winter access to Crystal Mountain Ski Area from the Yakima Valley. Would provide another safe Cascade Range crossing.

Puget Sound crossings:  Extend WA-518 to WA-16 via Vashon Island.  Don't like that?  How about a tunnel/sunken "floating" tube from Spokane Street viaduct in Seattle to Bainbridge Island connecting with WA-305.  Could be designated I-305. 

Whidbey Island crossing, WA-525: Suspension bridge from Mukilteo, WA to the Columbia Beach area on Whidbey Island.

This one will rile the environmentalists.  Inter-connect the four principal islands of the San Juan group with bridges.   

I-7:  The Oregon East Cascades Freeway.  Portland, OR to Bend, OR and beyond (Weed, CA?).  Would provide a faster and safer route for the yuppies and ski bums to "Oregon's Playground."  Fantastic views of volcanoes.  Follows US-26 and US-97 corridors.

Bickendan

Quote from: DrZoidberg on February 09, 2009, 10:39:23 AM
I doubt Oregon even has any future freeways planned.  The state is so anti-freeway (our widest highway is the 6 lane I-5) that I doubt anything will happen in the near future. I'd personally like to see the US 97 corridor upgraded to an eventual I-7.
Slight correction:
I-205 from Sunnyside Rd to Johnson Creek Blvd is 8 lanes; I-5 from Tualatin to OR 217 is also 8 lanes. It doesn't offset the fact that both I-5 and I-405 are 4 lanes each in the downtown area.

andytom

Quote from: Bickendan on June 27, 2009, 10:48:53 PM
Quote from: DrZoidberg on February 09, 2009, 10:39:23 AM
Slight correction:
I-205 from Sunnyside Rd to Johnson Creek Blvd is 8 lanes; I-5 from Tualatin to OR 217 is also 8 lanes. It doesn't offset the fact that both I-5 and I-405 are 4 lanes each in the downtown area.

The Fremont and Marquam Bridges are also 8 lanes across their main spans and the outflows/inflows are, for the most part, 7 or 8 lanes.

--Andy

Tarkus

There's a very brief stretch of US-26 just east of the OR-217 interchange that is 9 lanes wide.  It ranges from about 7-8 lanes for the 2 miles between Murray Blvd and OR-217 as well.  ODOT actually did a pretty good job fixing US-26 up back in 2006.  That section used to be a notorious bottleneck, but it's fantastic now--proof that investing in freeway infrastructure actually reduces congestion.  There's occasionally still issues between Cornelius Pass and 185th, though, as that stretch is only 4 lanes wide still.

-Alex (Tarkus)

Bickendan

That will eventually be widened. Key word: Eventually ;)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.