News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Does anyone else like to draw completely fictitious maps?

Started by Quillz, October 29, 2010, 12:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

Quote from: rte66man on January 11, 2011, 10:08:38 AM
When I was in grade school, I used to draw fictional maps on the inside covers of my notebooks. I even had a couple of kids PAY ME to draw ones on their notebooks. How nerdy is that?

Has anyone ever drawn their own highways on old road atlases? I did that a lot with some old Rand McNally atlases, back when they had lots of broken lines where the interstates were planned to be built!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Duke87

Quote from: Henry on January 25, 2011, 12:29:22 PM
Has anyone ever drawn their own highways on old road atlases? I did that a lot with some old Rand McNally atlases, back when they had lots of broken lines where the interstates were planned to be built!

Yup. Used to do that all the time.

...which I now regret having done, because what could have been some nice old maps were scribbled all over and abused to the point of falling apart. :no:
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

berberry

I can't remember whether I used to draw them on paper or not, but I used to carve them into the tops of my desks at Woodlawn High School in Baton Rouge.  They were old desks to begin with, but I made them look a lot worse by the time I was done with them. 

By comparing notes, a couple teachers figured out who was doing it, called me into a room and shouted at me for a while.  I never did it again and hadn't thought about it in decades until I saw this topic title. 

triplemultiplex

Got one sitting on the desk right now.
It's a 03 Rand Mac.
There's also a '00 Delorme atlas of Wisconsin that got the same treatment.  I've still got an non-fantasy one too. They're both from before Delorme downgraded their cartography to that pile of shit they have now.  :banghead: How am I supposed to correct the many errors now?  I can't even look at the highway shields without vomiting.   :pan: X-(
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

D-Dey65

Plenty of times. I've even done that with road maps that I knew needed to be corrected. I must admit that's one of the many regrets in my life.

Henry

Quote from: Duke87 on January 25, 2011, 07:41:52 PM
Yup. Used to do that all the time.

...which I now regret having done, because what could have been some nice old maps were scribbled all over and abused to the point of falling apart. :no:

Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 26, 2011, 04:50:21 PM
Got one sitting on the desk right now.
It's a 03 Rand Mac.
There's also a '00 Delorme atlas of Wisconsin that got the same treatment.  I've still got an non-fantasy one too. They're both from before Delorme downgraded their cartography to that pile of shit they have now.  :banghead: How am I supposed to correct the many errors now?  I can't even look at the highway shields without vomiting.   :pan: X-(

Quote from: D-Dey65 on February 08, 2011, 05:12:59 PM
Plenty of times. I've even done that with road maps that I knew needed to be corrected. I must admit that's one of the many regrets in my life.

Well, at least it's comforting to know that I'm not the only one! Although I do have one regret myself: not saving those maps so I could scan them for displaying in the Fictional Highways thread...  X-(
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

meestersam

I drew the maps like you guys and also used colored markers to draw the actual roads, paint lines, routes, intersections, signs and signals.  I have probably 10 or 15 notebooks full of these scenes.  They're a lot like the pictures burgess87 posted.  :)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.