News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Trip to Toronto

Started by hobsini2, March 12, 2011, 12:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobsini2

This is mainly for the Michigan/Ontario peeps.  I am going to Toronto in April but haven't decided which route to take specifically.  I will cross at Detroit going into Windsor but I need to know which crossing is better.  Ambassador Bridge or D-W Tunnel. I will be coming from Chicago on 94.  Suggestions please?
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

dfilpus

The connection to the Ambassador bridge is fairly direct on both sides, so it is faster. The tunnel requires maneuvering on surface streets on both ends.

MDOTFanFB

Quote from: dfilpus on March 12, 2011, 02:00:52 PM
The connection to the Ambassador bridge is fairly direct on both sides, so it is faster. The tunnel requires maneuvering on surface streets on both ends.

I agree with him. Take I-94 east to I-96 east, then take the exit to the bridge. Both I-96 and I-75 now have a direct connection to the bridge on the American side, this is fairly new as they weren't ten years ago.

cu2010

Alternately, you can take I-94 all the way to the end (or even 94 to 69 north to the end) and take the Blue Water Bridge at Port Huron into Sarnia, then 402 to 401...this saves both Detroit and Windsor traffic and is freeway all the way, unlike going through Windsor...

But if you want to go through Detroit, then I agree with the above...the Ambassador is faster.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

hobsini2

So the Ambassador is finished with the construction?  that was the reason i was considering the tunnel.  And i am not too worried about Detroit traffic to take 69 upto Port Hurn and cross there.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

vdeane

Personially I recommend the tunnel simply so you don't patronize Mouron.  I guess you have to decide if your time is worth more than not contributing $4 to opposing a direct interstate connection to ON 401.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hobsini2

well if it means that paying $4 is going to help get that connection to the 401, i can deal with giving the money to Mouron.

realjd

The tunnel blows. Don't take it. Traffic often backs up so bad that there's a traffic jam trying enter on the other side. If you must go through Detroit, take the bridge. There's traffic, but nowhere near as much. The tunnel is also poorly marked from the freeways. There are plenty of signs with a control of "CANADA" to follow to the bridge.

I'd recommend avoiding Detroit altogether though. Cross at the I-94/I-69 bridge. It doesn't add much distance but is a much calmer experience.

Have fun crossing into Canada. The CBSA agents can be nasty. For all the crap the USBP gets, they're much friendlier than the Canadian border guards. You'll get through, but expect to get grilled pretty hard. Even the nice ones tend to be pretty surly. Be sure to have the proper car documentation (including insurance cards valid in Canada - call your insurance company if you aren't sure!), passports, printouts of hotel reservations, etc. Once you get through that nastiness though, Canada is a wonderful country.

Dr Frankenstein

Quote from: realjd on March 18, 2011, 09:25:40 PMHave fun crossing into Canada. The CBSA agents can be nasty. For all the crap the USBP gets, they're much friendlier than the Canadian border guards. You'll get through, but expect to get grilled pretty hard. Even the nice ones tend to be pretty surly. Be sure to have the proper car documentation (including insurance cards valid in Canada - call your insurance company if you aren't sure!), passports, printouts of hotel reservations, etc. Once you get through that nastiness though, Canada is a wonderful country.

YMMV. I've had very annoying experiences with the US CBP. But again, I live in Canada.

cu2010

I've rarely had problems getting into Canada...usually a quick and easy process. Only once have we had any problems...we had a tieup at the Prescott crossing once, and got turned back by the CBSA agent...then we tried crossing north of Alex Bay and had no problems.  It's getting OUT of Canada that seems to be difficult (the last time we went through Canada, we got randomly selected for a search entering into Port Huron, then experienced an epic 2+ hour delay at Lewiston during the return trip!)

It's been several years, though (when we went to Michigan this week, we had to drive the long way because we don't have passports...on a route with entirely too little button copy and state-named shields and entirely too much damn Clearview, mind you), so, as Dr. Frankenstein stated, YMMV.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

vdeane

These days, it depends.  On a trip to Toronto in 2007 going in to Canada my family had to deal with an unfriendly customs agent (no issues... just intimidating).  Quite a change from the "Hi!  Welcome to Ontario!" that we used to get before 9/11.  On the other hand, on a class trip to Ottawa in 2009 the agent couldn't have been friendlier (he even made jokes).  That trip we did spend an hour at US customs while all of our passports were run through the system (Canada didn't even care).

Quote from: hobsini2 on March 13, 2011, 05:54:13 PM
well if it means that paying $4 is going to help get that connection to the 401, i can deal with giving the money to Mouron.
Actually the $4 goes to opposing a connection... all Mouron cares about is building his second bridge and making sure nobody else builds anything across the river.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.