News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

"Road turtles"

Started by corco, March 23, 2011, 02:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corco

I got a kick out of this article from the 8/6/1954 issue of the Deseret Times out of Salt Lake- thought others might as well.

agentsteel53

what is a "recording angel"?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

andrewkbrown

I'm guessing by the context, it has to do with a lot of swearing.
A recording angel records the actions of each individual, according to the Bible.
Firefighter/Paramedic
Washington DC Fire & EMS

NE2

I guess this is the "do as the bible says, not as I do" phase in Utah newspaper columns.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

english si

I'm not sure where recording angels that do that are in the Bible, I can see where the Medaeval church's idea came from in the Bible, but it's not 'according to the Bible', but going beyond what the Bible says on the issue.

Being Utah, the Book of Mormon comes into play, which might have recording angels, but I know it a lot less well. Failing that, official Mormon doctrine could have them.

Alps

What a wonderful trick. I'll have to try it next time.

mgk920

Quote from: english si on March 24, 2011, 08:05:07 AM
I'm not sure where recording angels that do that are in the Bible, I can see where the Medaeval church's idea came from in the Bible, but it's not 'according to the Bible', but going beyond what the Bible says on the issue.

Being Utah, the Book of Mormon comes into play, which might have recording angels, but I know it a lot less well. Failing that, official Mormon doctrine could have them.

Also, the Deseret News was and continues to be owned and operated by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, so I also assume that that is part of Mormon doctrine.  It is a very good newspaper, written in a style that appeals to Mormons.

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.