News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Northwest / Re: What the hell is this?
Last post by pderocco - May 11, 2024, 11:11:31 PM
I see. So they show up with a little wrench, remove the nuts, turn the sign 90 degrees, put the nuts back, and then go to work? Sounds reasonable. Thanks for the quick answer.
General Highway Talk / Re: Reaching the End (or Begin...
Last post by pderocco - May 11, 2024, 11:05:43 PM
Back in the nineties, I drove all of I-70 from I-15 in Utah to I-695 west of Baltimore. Well, almost all. Last fall, I drove the last two miles out to the park-n-ride.

If, like many folks around here, you're interesting in clinching roads, you'll note that it often happens at one end of the road or another. But not always. In that same cross-country trip, I drove I-15 from Butte MT to Canada, clinching it. I also drove US-95 from Canada down to Fallon NV, clinching it. The satisfaction comes more from the clinching than from being at the end of it.

Heck, I can't count the number of times I've driven to the end of US-6 in Provincetown MA, the second longest highway in the country, without the fact crossing my mind. Of course, I've nowhere near clinched it.
Central States / Re: Missouri
Last post by Revive 755 - May 11, 2024, 11:04:44 PM
Quote from: PColumbus73 on May 11, 2024, 09:17:40 PMImprovements to the first DDI interchange? What kind of improvements are they proposing?

Based on https://www.modot.org/media/46859 from https://www.modot.org/interstate-44-corridor-upgrades-greene
  • A SB MO 13 to EB I-44 flyover
  • The north outer road for I-44 gets connected under MO 13 adjacent to I-44.  Access to the outer road is from a right in/right out where the existing signalized intersection is for NB MO 13, with a SB right in/right out closer to where Smith Road cuvers away from MO 13.

There should be a link to a previous study with more alternatives somewhere on the forum already.  Improvements are needed with SB MO 13 getting long backups prior to the interchange in the afternoon.

As much traffic as MO 13 gets north of I-44 IMHO there should at least be a feasibility/early stage planning study for bringing it up to a freeway probably to Bolivar.
Last post by m2tbone - May 11, 2024, 10:57:18 PM
^^The Warren County interchange on I-70 is likely for Stracks Church Road which is located between Warrenton and Wright City and currently contains an overpass only.

iPad Pro
General Highway Talk / Re: What's the Closest Interst...
Last post by dlsterner - May 11, 2024, 10:51:07 PM
Quote from: dlsterner on July 17, 2023, 11:22:23 PMFrom home base in Maryland, distance approximated as the crow flies:

2di:  I-86 (eastern), ~240 miles
3di:  I-676 (PA/NJ), ~110 miles

D'oh!!  Silly me, it slipped my mind that the eastern I-86 has a brief concurrency with I-81 near Binghamton NY.  So I've been on that stretch.  So here is the correct answer (as of now).

From home base in Maryland, approximate driving distance:

2di:  I-16 (Georgia), ~600 miles
3di:  I-676 (PA/NJ),  ~120 miles
Northwest / Re: What the hell is this?
Last post by xonhulu - May 11, 2024, 10:29:56 PM
Bickendan's right.  If you navigate down the on-ramp in your image, turn around and zoom in, you can see the back side of your sign:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/J7bnnBZ37qxjyPeP9

This is a pretty common practice for detour signage in Oregon, when the road closures are ongoing & intermittent because work is only done nights/weekends/other selected times.
Southeast / Re: US 74 in Shelby NC
Last post by ARMOURERERIC - May 11, 2024, 09:42:06 PM
Drove on down to look at progress today.  Switching to the new 180 alignment  is imminent, the south temporary tie in is fully paved and the north temporary tie is is 3/4 paved, through traffic on 150 travels the curved part of the 180/150 roundabout going both directions.  The Bidwell machine is gone from the Airport Road bridge and the temporary support brackets for the side jersey wall is in place, but no evidence of any forming yet.  There was aflat truck trailer on the westbound ramp to 18 that looked like it might be loaded with BGS'.
Southeast / Re: Interstate 42
Last post by sprjus4 - May 11, 2024, 09:40:33 PM
Quote from: vdeane on May 11, 2024, 04:42:54 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on May 11, 2024, 02:02:39 AMSince he's picky about a "100 mile" stretch... don't tell him about I-94 in Illinois / Wisconsin, I-81 in northeastern Tennessee / southwest Virginia, I-75 in southern Florida, I-79 east of Charleston... I could continue.
Those go on a different cardinal orientation for a piece of the route.  For the Southway, however, it's a solid majority.  West of I-95 is a diagonal, I-95 to Elizabeth city is solid east-west.  It's only Elizabeth City to I-64 that will be north-south.  It is, overall, very much an east-west corridor and could have been designated without duplicating any numbers if it had been signed as such.
I think you misunderstood my post... I was referring to this "100 mile" portion of I-40 he referenced, not I-87.

Quote from: Life in Paradise on May 10, 2024, 12:59:00 PMI still cringe every time I see I 40 take the south turn to Wilmington [...] An east/west interstate runs south for over 100 miles just to get to the Atlantic   :confused:
Sports / Re: Athletics President re: ke...
Last post by DTComposer - May 11, 2024, 09:23:48 PM
Quote from: epzik8 on May 11, 2024, 08:18:19 PM
Quote from: ZLoth on May 10, 2024, 05:51:43 PMFrom Sportico (posted May 7th):

NO A'S IN ATTENDANCE: OAKLAND TRAILS A WHOPPING 553 U.S. TEAMS
QuoteWhat do the Calgary Roughnecks of the National Lacrosse League and the Houston Roughnecks of the United Football League have in common besides the name?

They both outdraw the Oakland Athletics.

The A's are averaging 6,410 fans per game in what is expected to be their final season in Oakland. It would be the lowest home attendance figure for an MLB team in 45 years, and a total that would look more at home in leagues that you've likely never heard of.
FULL ARTICLE HERE

From KGO (posted May 9th):

Here's how empty the Coliseum is for A's last season in Oakland
QuoteAttendance for Oakland A's games at the Coliseum are much lower so far compared to last season, according to MLB data.

The peak attendance for the first 21 games this season was Opening Day at around 13,500 fans. The lowest attendance was Monday, when it was less than 2,900. Last season, opening day had over 25,000 fans.
FULL ARTICLE HERE

I feel like the city of Oakland had multiple chances to improve their stadium situation, and blew them all.

Oakland had some missteps, absolutely, but this is squarely on John Fisher. It's obvious that staying in Oakland was never his goal - otherwise the Howard Terminal project would be a reality by now (it had something like 90% of the funding already in place). He saw the potential dollars in Vegas and never seriously considered anything after that.

In spite of the A's not using the city name, I hope Sacramento makes every effort to make the A's feel welcome. I think there's a non-zero chance the Vegas deal falls apart, and if San Jose or Oakland are no longer options, Sacramento is a solid landing spot.
Last post by PColumbus73 - May 11, 2024, 09:17:40 PM
QuoteImprove I-44/MO 13 interchange

Improvements to the first DDI interchange? What kind of improvements are they proposing?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.