News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

April 17, 2010 Baltimore meet - OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

Started by Alps, February 28, 2010, 12:56:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

The Baltimore meet will commence at 11:00 AM with food and (for some of us) drinks at:

Red Brick Station
8149 Honeygo Blvd
White Marsh, MD 21236
410-931-7827

http://www.redbrickstation.com/pages/directions.html

From there we will leave to tour the I-695/I-95 and I-895/95 interchange rebuilds, the I-395 aerial wye, abandoned I-170, and other goodies to be revealed at the meet.  Even if you've already indicated an interest, please RSVP to me at webmaster@alpsroads.net by April 10 so I can confirm an accurate headcount at the restaurant.  I look forward to seeing you all there!

[It already WAS added to the calendar. -S.]

Ian

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

MDRoads

Same here... pans out very nice for me; I'll have an epic journey of 3 miles. :sombrero:

yanksfan6129

Yeah I sent my response too...looking forward to it

treichard

Red Brick is a great choice.

Some things to check out on the way in or out:

Those driving in from the NE might like to check out the US 1 Conowingo hydroelectric dam over the Susquehanna River and the custom-built US 1/MD 24 Bel Air bypass.

From the SW, if you look for them, you can see the I-70 ghost ramp stubs along the way-too-long I-95 C/D lanes at Caton Ave., not too far west of I-395.  Heading NB, take the Caton Ave. exit (C/D lane) from I-95, but continue in that lane without exiting to Caton Ave. 

From the N, the I-83 "Dead Man's Curve" south of York is long gone, and there's the high-speed I-83BL interchange in its place.

From the W, there's a new configuration of the interchanges near MD 355 and MD 85 on I-70 near Frederick, including a new N-S connection from I-70 & MD 85 to MD 144 downtown.
Map your cumulative highway travel
Clinched Highway Mapping
http://cmap.m-plex.com/

Ian

JW, is it possible to invite people to the meet? I know there are some people who may be interested in coming.
Youtube l Flickr

hbelkins

Quote from: PennDOTFan on March 07, 2010, 08:15:07 PM
JW, is it possible to invite people to the meet? I know there are some people who may be interested in coming.

These are usually open to anyone and everyone who wants to attend. You don't actually have to already know the host or other attendees to come. Heck, most of us who know others first met at a road meet.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Ian

Quote from: hbelkins on March 08, 2010, 10:27:43 PM
Quote from: PennDOTFan on March 07, 2010, 08:15:07 PM

These are usually open to anyone and everyone who wants to attend. You don't actually have to already know the host or other attendees to come. Heck, most of us who know others first met at a road meet.

Alright, thanks for the info. I'll send out an invite.
Youtube l Flickr

Alps

Just have them email me so I can keep a head count going.  (So far, we're aiming for the record!)

Ian

Quote from: AlpsROADS on March 09, 2010, 07:03:12 PM
Just have them email me so I can keep a head count going.  (So far, we're aiming for the record!)

Will do!
Youtube l Flickr

Alps

Meet recap:  At around 10:20 I took a leisurely jaunt across Baltimore via MD 133 and 134, ending up at the restaurant at 11:05.  There was a crowd of people outside as I pulled around to park (about 15), so I assumed the doors hadn't quite opened yet and maybe half of them belonged to our group.  Turns out that no, in fact, we already had that many people.  The official meet tally is 26 enthusiasts of all ages and even genders, with a few people accompanying for the lunch portion.  [Attendee list to be included when I write up the meet page!]
I handed out all of my itineraries and partitioned off cars.  Given the size of the meet, I said "We'll just get together at stops, don't even try to follow each other."  Turns out that may have been ideal, because everyone showed up at every stop.  The meet headed down new (as of 2006 or so) MD 43 eastward to its end at MD 150, back up MD 702 through the partially incomplete interchange with I-695 (Windlass Freeway), and over to the first meet stop on the north side of the I-695/I-95 interchange.  There are some good views off of Gum Tree Rd. as the last phase of construction begins: untangling the I-695 EB/WB lanes from each other.
From there, the motley crew proceeded back onto I-695, flying over construction to I-95 and then through construction to US 40.  When all is said and done, I-95 will have toll lanes down the median, but no connections to I-695 for the time being (though there are provisions).  I-895 was recently untangled from I-95 so that it's a right exit/entrance, and there is still plenty of new construction and old remnants.  The second stop was on the far side of the city at former I-170, which never came close to connecting to any other Interstate and so was ultimately decommissioned.  26 pale but energetic road enthusiasts were witnessed clambering over the never-connected EB ramp to US 1, gathering many curious looks from local residents.
Rounding up the troops, we then proceeded to MLK Blvd. (the last remnant of any I-170 shield is there on the corner in the form of an outline on a BGS background), down I-395, over the water to I-95, and up I-695 to the final stop in the I-70 Park and Ride.  For those not in the know, I-70 was supposed to head east through Leakin and Gwynns Falls Parks, connecting with the west end of I-170, and then into stub ramps along I-95.  There's plenty of information at the trailhead at the east end of the park, including a diagram of the proposed freeway.
From there, we headed back through Leakin Park to the restaurant, also checking out Hilton Parkway (signed as Truck 1/40 from US 40, although at least one meet attendee says that Truck 1 does not exist now) and certifying I-170 (driving completely in both directions).  The last bits of geeky goodness were a drive all the way up the Jones Falls Expressway and a chance to clinch MD 43 (one car took the initiative to check out more I-95/695 construction via the other flyover, which was a fine alternative).
Amazingly, almost all of the meet dispersed at this point, leaving us with a nice-sized party for the after meet.  Those who stuck around (Jason Ilyes, his wife and nephew, Oscar Voss, Mike Pruett, Laura, and myself) drove through the Harbor Tunnel - while Jason went to BWI to drop Seth off, Mike and Oscar followed the B-W Parkway, and Laura and I diverted briefly via "895B", one of the Harbor Tunnel spurs, before returning to the B-W.  We all met up along MD 198 and toured the under-construction Inter-County Connector.  Thanks to Mike, we got to see a few more interchanges than I had planned for, since I have less familiarity with the area than he does.  We saw the road at I-95, US 29, old 29, MD 91 and several cross roads west to Shady Grove Road.  Finally, we clinched I-370 from east to west, driving through the newly opened trumpet at the ICC.  Once the ICC opens, I-370 will end at the trumpet instead of following its old route to the Park and Ride.
To all those who showed up and made this one for the record books, once again thank you for an excellent meet!  To all those who didn't show up, hope to see you at one soon!

hbelkins

Sounds like a really fun time. I am truly sorry I missed this one, but my absence was unavoidable. I was needed at home.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.