Thoughts on Providence Meet

Started by Alps, April 23, 2010, 11:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If I were to have a Providence (RI) meet, what weekend works for you?

July 17
5 (41.7%)
July 24
3 (25%)
July 31
6 (50%)
August 7
5 (41.7%)
August 14
9 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: May 07, 2010, 11:55:52 PM

Alps

Hopefully I can use this poll to help narrow it down.  I already know much of what would be in the meet, though I'm happy to field suggestions.

Dougtone

Schedule permitting, I should be able to make it any weekend.  While I don't anticipate having a pre-set summer schedule like I've had in other years, I do expect my summer to be busy, and I'll be happy to go to a Providence meet (or Philly meet for that matter) to keep myself busy.  The fellowship at the meets is important too, and I'd like to partake in that.

froggie

It's a tempting thought, since we're considering heading out to Cape Cod in July.  But Meaghan has already made it clear she's not interested in attending a road meet...

Alps

If it makes a difference to anyone, the PawSox have 6 PM games on the last three weekends (7/31, 8/7, 8/14).  Those appear to be the early leaders for dates anyway.

Ian

July 17th, a day before my birthday  :spin:. I wish I could go, but Providence is too far for me.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Duke87

I *might* be at a Rush concert on July 24th. And on August 21st I'm definitely going to be in Pittsburgh.

But otherwise, any of those weekends should work for me.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

mightyace

Too bad you're not considering June 26th or September 18th.  Those are the Saturday's before the NASCAR races in New Hampshire.  I'd be a definite on one of those dates.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

jon daly

Quote from: AlpsROADS on April 24, 2010, 05:30:00 PM
If it makes a difference to anyone, the PawSox have 6 PM games on the last three weekends (7/31, 8/7, 8/14).  Those appear to be the early leaders for dates anyway.

I'm interested (in the meet and perhaps the game.)  8/7 would be the least likely date for me.  I may be in Atlanta for a SABR function.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on April 24, 2010, 09:06:05 AM
It's a tempting thought, since we're considering heading out to Cape Cod in July.  But Meaghan has already made it clear she's not interested in attending a road meet...

She's a spoilsport. Other significant others have attended in the past.

The attractions for this meet for me would be new counties and a chance to drive some routes in the daylight that I had previously driven only in the dark. The negatives are, of course, distance and a dwindling number of vacation days and the desire to attend some already-planned meets (Philly, Iowa and Shreveport.)

I could foresee an I-84 clinch on this journey should I undertake it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bugo

Quote from: hbelkins on April 25, 2010, 10:43:17 PM
The attractions for this meet for me would be new counties and a chance to drive some routes in the daylight that I had previously driven only in the dark. The negatives are, of course, distance and a dwindling number of vacation days and the desire to attend some already-planned meets (Philly, Iowa and Shreveport.)

There's going to be a Shreveport meet?

Dougtone

Quote from: froggie on April 24, 2010, 09:06:05 AM

She's a spoilsport. Other significant others have attended in the past.

I could foresee an I-84 clinch on this journey should I undertake it.

Or some significant others may have joined us for lunch, then found other ways to entertain themselves during the tour portion of the meet (shopping, visiting friends, etc.).

hbelkins

Quote from: bugo on April 25, 2010, 11:18:13 PM

There's going to be a Shreveport meet?

Texarkana is what I meant, but there is a possibility the tour will head down Shreveport way, from what I understand. David Backlin has floated the idea of doing one in September.

CanesFan27

HB,

I wouldn't call Meaghan a spoilsport at all.

I can understand not wanting to do a side tour, as I've tailored my meet attendance on things outside of the lunch and looking at roads for some time now.  For the upcoming Philadelphia meet, Maggie and I are most likely going up.  But I suggested not taking the side tour.  After all, how many road construction or dead end projects do you see before it's monotonous. 

We're going to check out Valley Forge, Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, and other items after the lunch.  Main reason is I haven't been to Philadelphia proper since 1989 when I was 12.  We'll both enjoy the meet, but I don't know when the next time we'll be in Philadelphia - so why not explore/experience the city vs. just there for seeing roads.

It's just my point of view on it - but just because a significant other - or even an attendee - has no interest in the tour doesn't make them a spoilsport.   I wouldn't consider Mrs. Elkins a spoilsport for not going with you to any meets.

akotchi

When is the Philadelphia meet?  I live near there and have no excuse to miss it . . .
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Ian

I know this is starting to make its way off topic, but I know some other stops that would be worth stopping at the Philly meet.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

hbelkins

Quote from: CanesFan27 on April 26, 2010, 06:30:20 PM
HB,

I can understand not wanting to do a side tour, as I've tailored my meet attendance on things outside of the lunch and looking at roads for some time now.  For the upcoming Philadelphia meet, Maggie and I are most likely going up.  But I suggested not taking the side tour.  After all, how many road construction or dead end projects do you see before it's monotonous. 

We're going to check out Valley Forge, Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, and other items after the lunch.  Main reason is I haven't been to Philadelphia proper since 1989 when I was 12.  We'll both enjoy the meet, but I don't know when the next time we'll be in Philadelphia - so why not explore/experience the city vs. just there for seeing roads.

It's just my point of view on it - but just because a significant other - or even an attendee - has no interest in the tour doesn't make them a spoilsport.   I wouldn't consider Mrs. Elkins a spoilsport for not going with you to any meets.

I'm casting no aspersions on Meaghan. My point was made tongue in cheek, as it seemed to indicate that if Froggie and Meaghan are in the area at the time of the meet, that they might not be attending because she wouldn't want to. Even if either of them didn't do the tour, they could eat.

As for Mrs. Elkins, Melissa tolerates my crazy hobby. She thinks I'm crazy to jump in the truck and drive. Whenever she hits the road, it's for a concert somewhere by a band she likes (or the US 127 yard sale). She encourages me to go and do but she has no desire to join in, although if I ever did manage to have a meet in Lexington she might come by to meet all the people I talk about all the time.

If I make it to Philly, I may try to see some of those things as well.

bulldog1979

As for significant others, I drug mine to the Grand Rapids meet last fall. I think he was more interested in hanging out with AJ and I to see what it is that we do on these things. The other reason he came: we just brought our new puppy for me home from the breeders' the day before. I think he wanted to make sure that Max didn't spend too much time with one of us that wasn't me that first weekend, lest Max not bond to me properly.

Now, I did try to talk him into coming to Baltimore, even if he got left at or dropped back at the hotel during the afternoon. That didn't work though...

hbelkins

Quote from: bulldog1979 on April 27, 2010, 04:09:52 AM
As for significant others, I drug mine to the Grand Rapids meet last fall. I think he was more interested in hanging out with AJ and I to see what it is that we do on these things. The other reason he came: we just brought our new puppy for me home from the breeders' the day before. I think he wanted to make sure that Max didn't spend too much time with one of us that wasn't me that first weekend, lest Max not bond to me properly.

Now, I did try to talk him into coming to Baltimore, even if he got left at or dropped back at the hotel during the afternoon. That didn't work though...

Yeah, he had the "Geez I'm bored, what the $%&@ do you people get out of doing this crap?" look for much of the afternoon.  :-D

hbelkins

Quote from: akotchi on April 26, 2010, 07:41:04 PM
When is the Philadelphia meet?  I live near there and have no excuse to miss it . . .

The inimitable and estimable Mr. Kitsko should be the one to answer that, since he's hosting. He's told me privately, but it's not my place to say anything publicly.

Dougtone

Quote from: hbelkins on April 27, 2010, 03:21:22 PM
Quote from: akotchi on April 26, 2010, 07:41:04 PM

The inimitable and estimable Mr. Kitsko should be the one to answer that, since he's hosting. He's told me privately, but it's not my place to say anything publicly.

Nor should he have to spill the beans prematurely.

agentsteel53

anyone wanna explain the reason for the secrecy around this meeting? 

a) it happens on a certain date, because that is when some road is set to open, and the surprise is everyone gets to walk the new I-638 toll road.

b) roadgeek politics.  can't let Calrog get wind of this.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 27, 2010, 08:40:26 PM

a) it happens on a certain date, because that is when some road is set to open, and the surprise is everyone gets to walk the new I-638 toll road.

It could be that he doesn't have all the details nailed down yet and wants to get everything confirmed before he announces.

Given that person's stated dislike for road meets, it's doubtful that he'd travel all the way across the United States to attend. He could better spend that money paying PRWeb to put out a press release about some worthless "accomplishment" of his.

PAHighways

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 27, 2010, 08:40:26 PM

c) plans for the meet are still being finalized

I don't know what is so "secret" about this, considering I have always announced a meet no more than a month in advance of the date which is evident by the first post in this topic.  The only exception being the National in 2006.

The only reason Adam, Doug, and H.B. knew was from discussing with them doing a meet and/or letting them know for the sake of securing vacation time.  Then again, there was nothing secret about my planning another SEPA Meet when I made this post.

Alps

By the way, this is the Providence meet thread.  Have you voted?

ctsignguy

Quote from: hbelkins on April 26, 2010, 11:46:48 PM
Quote from: CanesFan27 on April 26, 2010, 06:30:20 PM
HB,

I'm casting no aspersions on Meaghan. My point was made tongue in cheek, as it seemed to indicate that if Froggie and Meaghan are in the area at the time of the meet, that they might not be attending because she wouldn't want to. Even if either of them didn't do the tour, they could eat.

As for Mrs. Elkins, Melissa tolerates my crazy hobby. She thinks I'm crazy to jump in the truck and drive. Whenever she hits the road, it's for a concert somewhere by a band she likes (or the US 127 yard sale). She encourages me to go and do but she has no desire to join in, although if I ever did manage to have a meet in Lexington she might come by to meet all the people I talk about all the time.

If I make it to Philly, I may try to see some of those things as well.

First off, i voted the weekends i would be most likely to be able to come up (you know, having a pay day just before DOES help!)  But right now, i am looking at a move to a new location so things are in a bit of flux for me at the moment.  Havent really been to Philly since 1970 (passing through headed to New England or back to Ohio doesnt really count) when i was 12 and my family took in a lot fo the sights (my main memory was the fog obscured the view of Veterans' Stadium (which was brand new then)

As for SO's and our little hobby, i have to admit that Rebecca (my SO) doesn't always understand MY fascination with, let alone collecting, signs.  She would be very bad to take on such a trip because i can easily see her (based upon the few trips we have taken together) stomping  a hole in my floorboard because she is impatient to leave while i am merrily busying myself in a sign pile looking for buried treasures...and coming back filthy/dusty/dirty/muddy...

(She is the sort who gets impatient in slow traffic...she gets that "HURRY UP DAMMIT" look on her face...)  But, she tolerates my hobby, so i accept her quirks as well...
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.