News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Nashville mini-meet, Sunday, Nov. 21

Started by kurumi, October 30, 2010, 07:55:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

Hi all,

I have a free night in Nashville on Sunday Nov. 21... unfortunately, a few weeks too late for the recent Nashville meet on Oct. 23.

But if anyone nearby is up for BBQ and beer, let's meet up for dinner. I'm thinking Calhoun's White Bridge location at 6 pm or so is a good option (open late, lots of space, lots of meat and beer), but the locals probably know something even better.

I'll bring some maps that could use good homes, and the story of how I found out I work two offices away from a contributing photographer to an infamous v*atologist  :-o

When I'm not visiting family during the week, I'll be sneaking around taking photos: Briley Pkwy, the 840, all the interstate and US routes; the Natchez Trace bridge over TN 96; and if there's time, run up to Mammoth Caves NP (with Kentucky photos), and if there's more time, race down I-65 the other way to Alabama and get a shot of I-565 in person.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

wriddle082

Sounds like a good idea, but I don't think I will be able to give a commitment until the last minute.  We are beginning the process of moving from the Nashville area to the Columbia, SC area, and I will be using a few Saturday-Sunday-Monday weekends to haul U-haul trailers of stuff down here to put in storage. (in SC now on vacation)

Calhoun's is really good, but it may be a pain to get to from I-40 since the White Bridge Rd. overpass is down to one through lane each direction.  It is finally being rebuilt from the ground up as part of the 40/Briley/White Bridge interchange reconstruction.

Another good BBQ option is Jim 'n Nick's, located off I-40 at Exit 201 (US 70, Charlotte Pike), just a few miles away from White Bridge.  They even have old photos of Nashville inside the place, notably an aerial photo from the 60s showing construction of the Silliman Evans Bridge over the Cumberland River and the adjacent I-24/I-40 western split interchange.  Back when it opened, it was the only three-legged interchange in the country that had three different multiplexes coming in and out of it (24/65 from the north, 40/65 from the west, and 24/40 from the east).  When I-65 was rerouted around the west side of the loop in 2000, this rerouted I-65 from that interchange.

Hope you have fun in the Nashville area!

hbelkins

Quote from: kurumi on October 30, 2010, 07:55:05 PM

I'll bring some maps that could use good homes, and the story of how I found out I work two offices away from a contributing photographer to an infamous v*atologist  :-o

I can't make it back to Nashville that soon after having just been there, but I want to hear this story.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

mightyace

Kurumi,

Are you still planning to be in the area starting this weekend?
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

codyg1985

Hmm, it is tempting...

I can vouch for Jim N' Nicks. They are awesome. Their bread is especially awesome.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

wriddle082

I am definitely out for this Sunday.  I will be travelling to Columbia, SC with another U-Haul trailer load of our stuff.

I might have time to meet up Monday afternoon or evening on my way back home, or even some time over Thanksgiving weekend, if you're still gonna be in town?

kurumi

Quote from: mightyace on November 18, 2010, 04:54:29 AM
Kurumi,

Are you still planning to be in the area starting this weekend?

Yes, still on for Sunday night, 6 pm. Jim N' Nicks sounds like a winner; let's make it there.

On Monday, some family arrives (including brand new niece), and I'll be spending time with them until I leave on Wednesday.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

mightyace

It was probably either a case of crossed wires, or nobody knew who to look for.

My brother and I arrived and Jim and Nick's about 6:10 last evening.

I don't know whether:
no one else showed
someone showed up and went elsewhere
we were both there but didn't know it

:confused: :confused:

It didn't help that I didn't get any details besides the time, or make a strong confirmation and for those things I apologize.

I'll be in town all week in case we can work something else out.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.