News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Wausau, Wisconsin meet - October 1 - Results

Started by SSOWorld, March 27, 2011, 09:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

This is the rescheduled meet from this summer.  This also gives the opportunity to explore the fall colors of the north half of the state.

The freeway that passes through the metro area was recently reconstructed to expand capacity on and over/under it and connect WIS 29 and US 51 at fly-overs replacing a tight trumpet at the south end and a signaled diamond at the north end.  The reconstruction has had relieved the congestion, but at the cost of moving businesses to build interchanges.  Also on the agenda is WIS 29 old and new, the reroute of a bridge over the Big Rib that was called the "Snake bridge", and more as time permits.

Timeline:

Date: October 1, 2011
Location: Lunch at Wausau Mine Company (http://www.wausaumine.com/) - 11:30 am CDT. Tour starts after will likely be between 3-4 hours.  Directions provided by website, click "Contact"

Please RSVP to onsons@ssoworld.com so i can get a head count.  I have also created an event through my Facebook page
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Alps

Since the location is TBA, make it about 500 miles closer and I'm in.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

JREwing78

There has been considerable work in and around the area within the past 10 years (US-10, Veterans' Parkway in Marshfield, Highway 29, etc).

I can make no commitments, but I'll keep that weekend open.

mightyace

Interesting, but I've already bought tickets to the inaugural Sprint Cup race at Kentucky Speedway on the 9th.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Raise your what?

hbelkins

Way too early to commit at this point, but definitely interested.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SSOWorld

Just a reminder that the meet is coming up in less than 3 weeks.  Please RSVP to onsons#ssoworld.com (as HB would say - remove the restrictor plate ;-) ) or commit here by July 2 so I can get an accurate head count in order to determine if a group reservation is required for the restauraunt.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

hbelkins

Quote from: Master son on June 20, 2011, 11:07:13 PM
Just a reminder that the meet is coming up in less than 3 weeks.  Please RSVP to onsons#ssoworld.com (as HB would say - remove the restrictor plate ;-) ) or commit here by July 2 so I can get an accurate head count in order to determine if a group reservation is required for the restauraunt.

At this point I am still planning on attending, but that is not set in stone. A lot depends on what happens with our sick feline and also with work on the property we are moving to.

agentsteel53

onsons#ssoworld.com

I haven't restrictor-plated my email address in years.  I figure these days the best defense is a competent, perpetually updated spam filter.  spam these days can get around a lot of anti-munging features - changing the @ sign to a string generally not allowed in an email address is one of the easier ones to bypass.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 20, 2011, 11:24:31 PM
onsons#ssoworld.com

I haven't restrictor-plated my email address in years.  I figure these days the best defense is a competent, perpetually updated spam filter.  spam these days can get around a lot of anti-munging features - changing the @ sign to a string generally not allowed in an email address is one of the easier ones to bypass.

The address I use in m.t.r. is @mis.net.restrictorplate. I learned a long time ago not to put the spam trap before the xxx.yyy (where xxx is the provider and yyy is the net, com, edu, etc., because if it's before any spam will actually go to your provider's server before it's rejected, causing trouble for the provider. Putting the spam trap after your domain means it heads off to /dev/null immediately.

For a long time I used the tag line "to reply by email, do what NASCAR won't" -- meaning, of course, remove the restrictor plate. ;-)

agentsteel53

Quote from: hbelkins on June 20, 2011, 11:43:31 PM

The address I use in m.t.r. is @mis.net.restrictorplate. I learned a long time ago not to put the spam trap before the xxx.yyy (where xxx is the provider and yyy is the net, com, edu, etc., because if it's before any spam will actually go to your provider's server before it's rejected, causing trouble for the provider. Putting the spam trap after your domain means it heads off to /dev/null immediately.

For a long time I used the tag line "to reply by email, do what NASCAR won't" -- meaning, of course, remove the restrictor plate. ;-)

it is quite an ad-hoc bit of trickery, with people coming up with new twists on the old rule, and spammers coming up with ways to defeat just that one precise occurrence. 

it is a mathematically difficult problem - humans are great at intuiting what "looks wrong" about an email address, but spammers have to come up with a seemingly arbitrary set of rules. 

but that doesn't seem to stop the spammers...

the only place I munge my email address is eBay, because I always have had this suspicion that "contact another member" messages that contain an email address are silently dropped, because they want all communication taking place on their terms, so that they can continue to rack up the fees.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

SSOWorld

Quote from: hbelkins on June 20, 2011, 11:24:09 PM

At this point I am still planning on attending, but that is not set in stone. A lot depends on what happens with our sick feline and also with work on the property we are moving to.
Oh noes on the cat. :(  Hope you can - but I understand the circumstances.

Afterthought: Anyone notice how "sadface" has a soul patch?  :-D
Scott O.

Raise your what?

hbelkins

Still iffy. Kitty has shown a surprising amount of improvement but at this point I don't know if she will be well enough for me to consider (or my wife to let me consider) going that far away for a weekend. She had gained some weight vet trip before last after several visits of gradual declines, and had stayed the same last Saturday when I took her in for a check. Her appetite is better and her demeanor is closer to normal. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed, for my travel plans and especially for her.

mgk920

I'll be able to make it.  I'll even volunteer for tour guide duties, especially if the tour includes a swing by the US 41 and US 45 construction-geek zones in the Green Bay and Neenah-Oshkosh areas (US 10 and WI 29 are very interesting drives along the way to and from, too).

:nod:

Mike

hbelkins

I'm officially OUT of this meet, unfortunately. Was looking forward to new roads and clinching some new interstates, but alas, it's not to be. The sick feline (who seems to be getting better, thankfully) plays a role in this decision but there's a bunch of other stuff going on, too, that preclude my attendance. Those of you who attend, have fun!

SSOWorld

I have decided to cancel the meet due to schedule conflicts and/or lack of interest.  Thank you to all of those who considered.  I will be considering the meet for a future date.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

hbelkins

Glad I already knew I wasn't going to be able to come. Otherwise I wouldn't have seen this until I was already on the road and halfway there!

I hope you can reschedule. I was looking forward to this trip and now maybe I'll get to take it after all, sometime in the future.

JREwing78

Count me in as well. Right now is just a terrible time for me to get away. Early fall - about when the colors are well underway, would be a great time to host this.

mgk920

Quote from: JREwing78 on July 07, 2011, 11:43:29 PM
Count me in as well. Right now is just a terrible time for me to get away. Early fall - about when the colors are well underway, would be a great time to host this.

I'd be open for that.

OTOH, if anyone still might want to informally get together and do some roadgeeking in the NE Wisconsin area, I'm open to that on Saturday, too.

Mike

SSOWorld

Quote from: JREwing78 on July 07, 2011, 11:43:29 PM
Hopefully I'm not competing with Michigan meets then ;).  That would certainly be a good idea.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

A.J. Bertin

I really, really wanted to attend this meet and was bummed that I wasn't able to make it. I hope it's rescheduled in a few months and that I'll be able to attend it then.   :D
-A.J. from Michigan

SSOWorld

I'm targeting late September early October, but that's a couple months out.  This way we can take a view of the fall colors along with the roads.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

rawmustard

I'm considering coming over to Middleton for National Mustard Day (:love:) which is on August 6. As far as any MI conflicts are concerned, I'm still aiming for 10/15 or 10/22 for Kalamazoo/Portage. But I may still make a rescheduled Wausau meet depending on what else comes up.

hbelkins

Quote from: rawmustard on July 11, 2011, 01:35:49 PM
I'm considering coming over to Middleton for National Mustard Day (:love:) which is on August 6. As far as any MI conflicts are concerned, I'm still aiming for 10/15 or 10/22 for Kalamazoo/Portage. But I may still make a rescheduled Wausau meet depending on what else comes up.

Oct. 15 is out for me for any meet unless it's within easy morning driving distance. Wife's going back to Atlanta to see Duran Duran the night prior.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.