Dougtone

2011 Upstate New York Road Meet - Watertown

Time   
Saturday, September 10 · 12:00pm - 6:00pm

Fairground Inn - http://www.colemanrestaurants.com/fairgrounds/home.html
852 Coffeen St.
Watertown, New York

More Info   
Come one, come all, to Watertown! We'll start off with a lunch at the Fairground Inn, followed by a road tour of the Watertown area. The tour will be focused on the Fort Drum Connector (future I-781) construction as well as the recently reconstructed I-81/NY 3 interchange (ok, so I'm stretching here), Public Square and even a historic bridge or two.

An ice cream social may be held after the meet based on interest.

If you're planning to attend, please RSVP by Wednesday, September 7.  You can e-mail me directly at dougtone@gribblenation.net as well.

Also, check out our Facebook event page at http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=252115184813091

Dougtone

Just a note regarding the tour.  While I respect the opinion of others who suggested it may be a better idea to wait until after the Fort Drum Connector opens (in 2012 I believe) to have the Watertown meet, I've decided to go ahead with having the meet this year while construction is going on.  I recently scouted the area and felt the time was good enough to have the meet in September.

yanksfan6129

Can I get a ride from western/central NY? I'll be in Geneva.

cu2010

Yay! A North Country meet!

I might be in for this...I'm just an hour or so up the road. I'll let you know closer to the meet date.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

Roadgeek Adam

As I posted on the Facebook page. Big maybe considering if I can get a ride. I mean its 4 hours to Syracuse, probably what, another hour to Watertown from here?

My father can't drive 4 hours, and honestly, neither can I. (I can't drive period.)
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

vdeane

I'll be there.  Theoretically an hour and a half drive, but will be longer since I plan to clinch many roads "on the way".
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Dr Frankenstein

Closest meet to date (except the one in Montréal), it's a 50-50 for now. I have something the next day, but going to and back from this one in a single day is very feasible.

hbelkins

I've had this one on my radar screen for awhile. I hope to attend, unless the sick kitty takes a turn for the worse (she is holding on these days) or that ends up being the weekend we move.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

Won't be there. That's a Vermont weekend.

Duke87

Hmm... originally my excuse was "can't take a day off from work for this", but having punched it into Google maps, it's not quite as far away as I thought - so I could potentially do it without taking a day off, but I'd have to get up nice and early Saturday morning.

So, let's see, new excuses. "Not interesting enough to spend money on a hotel for" is one. "Don't want to make two major trips two weekends in a row" is another (yes, I hear you snickering). "Anthony needs to stop procrastinating and start actually spending some serious time looking for an apartment" is probably the best one, but let's see if I follow through with that.

Okay, you know what, I have a better idea. I'll be at the central Jersey meet next weekend. There's your chance to talk to me and convince me to go to this one.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Janko Dialnice

As I mentioned on the Facebook page, that I will be off work the week after this meet to do some housekeeping. I am trying to check with my boss, to see if I can reschedule that time off into October, when there are no meets, so I can attend this one.

And Anthony, I can probably counter your excuses for not coming (split a hotel room with another attendee, search for an apartment after work, or on the following weekend, etc.). :)

oscar

I'm a no-go on this one, as with all the meets since the Montreal meet.  I've had schedule conflicts most weekends this summer, and likely will well into October.  The Watertown meet is no exception, with a prior commitment in New Jersey that day.

I'll try to make it up to Watertown once I-781 is completed and open to traffic.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

froggie

QuoteI'll try to make it up to Watertown once I-781 is completed and open to traffic.

This is my plan as well.

PCLV10

I had a blast last weekend, getting to know everyone! 

Dougtone

Here's the all-important meet photo...

Watertown, New York Road Meet - September 10, 2011
From Left to Right
(Standing) - Doug Kerr, Brian Reynolds, Philip Cousin, Chris Jordan, Anthony Costanzo (with Send Help sign), John Housty, Jon Deane, H.B. Elkins, Mark Sinsabaugh
(Kneeling) - Steve Alpert, Scott Davis, Carl Tessier, John Krakoff

Highlights of the meet included Fort Drum Connector (future I-781) construction, the Black River Parkway, and an old stone arch bridge in Sackets Harbor (President James Monroe was treated to a 19 gun salute over this bridge in 1817).

Janko Dialnice

If Anthony had only lowered the Send Help sign slightly, my face wouldn't have been covered by his left bicep. Oh, well.

Dougtone

Quote from: JohnnyH1972 on September 29, 2011, 11:14:44 AM
If Anthony had only lowered the Send Help sign slightly, my face wouldn't have been covered by his left bicep. Oh, well.

The other picture I took was about the same, where your face was a bit shadowed.

Duke87

Quote from: JohnnyH1972 on September 29, 2011, 11:14:44 AM

Hey, I warned you about that. You said you thought you were fine. :-P
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Janko Dialnice

At least I am still recognizable in it, so it's no big deal.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.