News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Official Announcement: ICC Meet Saturday, November 26th

Started by Laura, November 14, 2011, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laura

So here's the official announcement (finally!)

ICC Meet
Saturday, November 26th
Time: 10:00 AM
Meeting place: Growlers of Gaithersburg Brewpub
227 East Diamond Ave  Gaithersburg, MD 20877

Yes, please note that the time is at 10 am, which is earlier than most meets. This is part of why I've delayed in posting this, but I've come to the executive decision because it is almost winter and the lighting won't be as good if we wait.

The loose itinerary: Slightly different than most meets, we're going to meet at the restaurant at 10am, go on the tour, and then come back to Growler's for lunch. (Oddly enough, the ICC meet earlier this year also started at 10 am). The plan is then to go and check out the construction on 295 in DC after lunch. There might be some other surprises, we'll see ;)

There is a free garage next to the restaurant. My suggestion is to park in the garage and use the bridge to walk over the railroad tracks and to the back of the brewpub.

Please respond by Thanksgiving.

Do let me know if you plan to be in the area/free on Black Friday; I'm game for any on-the-fly premeet activities as well.

Ian

As I've mentioned on Facebook, I'll be up in Albany that weekend  :-(
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Janko Dialnice

Once again, I will not be able to attend this meet (Thanksgiving weekend, and all). But next time I get into Maryland, I can check this out on my own. Even if the tolls are in effect, I doubt they would be that much.

Beltway

I'll be making a round trip between the Bay Bridge and Frederick on Thanksgiving Day, and I will enjoy the toll-free ride on the ICC, and will take plenty of photos (already have photographed the first section opened).  Routing -- US-50, I-97, MD-3, I-95, ICC, I-270, which is only a little bit longer than the most optimum route (all Interstate via I-595 (unsigned), I-97, I-695 and I-70).

But I don't think I will be able to go to MD on that Saturday ... :-]
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Alps

If anyone's interested, I plan to be down there the following weekend and would check it out the morning of Sunday the 4th.

EDIT: Now it's official, at the Satanic link of https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=5666

Duke87

Quote from: Steve on November 15, 2011, 08:06:29 PM
If anyone's interested, I plan to be down there the following weekend and would check it out the morning of Sunday the 4th.

Outside chance I might be up in the area by then. I'll give you a ring if I'm around.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

froggie

For anyone catching this late, Growlers doesn't open until 4pm, so I'm waiting across the street at the Old Towne Cafe.

hbelkins

Shades of the Youngstown meet a few years ago, when the chosen restaurant wasn't open for lunch on Saturday and we had to find an alternate spot.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

Having the tour part first makes it less of an issue, as those who remained for lunch after the tour had plenty of other restaurants to choose from.

11 total today...more than expected.  Route was largely a reverse of the route we did back in early March.  I'll probably post a raw video of the westbound ICC to YouTube at some point, and I'm sure we'll see several photos before too long.

Alps

Where was the lunch after, and how was it? Planning ahead for part deux. (And yes, it's called that as a Hot Shots reference.)

froggie

Lunch was at Roy's Place.  Over 200 different sandwiches to choose from.

Laura

Thank you all so much for coming out to the meet. It was so much fun planning and was a blast :)

I still love that crotchety old man who yelled at us for hanging out on the road (Garrett Road) in front of his yard (while looking at the potential future MidCounty Highway/ICC interchange spot). And his docile old guard dog. Totally priceless.

yanksfan6129

froggie

To be fair, he had a valid point.  It WAS signed no parking there, after all.  Simple solution for the folks tomorrow if they stop:  park at Redland Park right across the road.  It's only about a 700ft walk.

yanksfan6129

But you don't think he'll still be all like "rah rah rah get off my lawn you whipper-snappers!!!" if he sees people there, regardless of car? I don't think it was the car so much as the people (not that that's adequate justification; living on a college campus...well, I know what a ruckus coming from outside really is and what we were doing was CERTAINLY not disturbing)

oscar

Here's a pair of group photos from the meet.  Both were taken with the ICC/US 29 interchange in the background. 

In both photos, from left to right: Brian Polidoro, Scott Davis' father, ____, Scott Davis, Adam Froehlig, Corey Dukes, Jason Ilyes, Mike Pruett, Laura Bianca, Seth Dunn, Oscar Voss (sorry for missing/incorrect names, wich I'll fix later)
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

froggie

Far left is Brian Polidoro.  Between me and Jason is Corey Dukes.  To my right is Scott Davis.  In the Hobart sweatshirt is Scott's father.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.