News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Joliet, IL Road Meet - April 2012

Started by Brandon, January 07, 2012, 09:58:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpi

Its a done deal, Steph and I are going! She got the time off and I just need to request of the Friday, I booked our room at the Super 8 in East Hazel Crest, IL off I-80\294 it is about 20 miles away but works out good since we will be coming from I-65 north and plan to spend the day in Chicago on Sunday. Plus I am cashing in some Wyndham rewards points so lodgeing is taken care of but we are renting a car. See you all in a month!
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

okroads

I'm hoping to make the trek from Oklahoma City to this road meet. I need to clinch I-55 in Illinois to clinch the entire interstate and I figure this would be as good an excuse as any.

brianreynolds

Sad to say, I'll have to miss this.  Out-of-town visitors (originally scheduled for St. Pat's Day) are here that weekend.

--
Brian Reynolds
Hastings Michigan

jpi

Now Steph and I are definently coming, we both have the Friday before off and will be getting into town that evening.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

okroads

Quote from: okroads on March 26, 2012, 03:45:05 PM
I'm hoping to make the trek from Oklahoma City to this road meet. I need to clinch I-55 in Illinois to clinch the entire interstate and I figure this would be as good an excuse as any.

For a few hours today, it appeared I would not be able to make it to this meet, but now it's looking like a high possibility I will be able to go. Looking forward to it!

hbelkins

I know we are just a week out from this meet, but at this point I am still uncertain. My mother-in-law's recovery from knee replacement surgery has not gone as well as her hip replacement did earlier this year, so my wife is still having to tend to her every day. If my MIL still requires a lot of my wife's attention next week, I may have to put off the trip.

I have mapped out a route that will take me across the southern part of Kentucky to check out the new Natcher and Pennyrile Parkway extensions on Thursday, then across the Cave-In-Rock Ferry and up IL 1, US 45 and I-57 to hopefully the Champaign/Urbana area on Thursday night. Friday I have mapped out an ambitious route that will clinch all the counties north of a Stark-Marshall-Livingston-Ford-Iroquois line. I hope to make it to the Joliet-Bolingbrook area for the night Friday, but if I don't I can stay somewhere near La Salle or Peru and that will be an easy drive over to Joliet on Saturday morning.

After the meet I'm going to head over to Michigan City, Ind. to spend the night, then on Sunday clinch US 421 (I have everything between Indy and the Kentucky state line) and then US 52 between Indy and the Ohio state line.

But that all depends on my mother-in-law's condition and if nothing else comes up. This will literally be a Wednesday night-Thursday morning decision.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

A strong suggestion to those who are coming, bring along a video camera if you have it.  We may get lucky enough to watch a bridge raise and lower, and a barge go through a lock.  These things have no schedule, so they can happen at any time.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kharvey10

I regret that I will have to miss it this year.  My mom has her birthday that day and she set this date for family photographs several weeks ago.  In addition, spring means I spend my weekends not at work umpiring in ASA-sanctioned fastpitch tourneys weather permitting. 

hbelkins

High in the mid-50s, low in the mid-30s. Not exactly going to be balmy in Joliet on Saturday.

Still unsure. Will decide tonight if I'm coming. If so, the journey begins after a doctor's appointment tomorrow morning.

okroads

Quote from: hbelkins on April 18, 2012, 09:49:54 AM
High in the mid-50s, low in the mid-30s. Not exactly going to be balmy in Joliet on Saturday.

That's about as warm as it was in May 2011 at the Lawrence, KS Road Meet. At least it won't be 107 like it was for the OKC Road Meet...

I'll be picking up my rental car tonight and will be headed out tomorrow morning. Should make it to Joliet on Friday late afternoon/early evening. I look forward to meeting everybody who's able to attend.

jpi

Just got to get through tonight and tomorrow at work then Steph and I are on the road Friday morning, plan on makeing a loop around north central IL to get some counties and new interstate milage on I-74, I-55 and I-155. It is supposed to get up to 80 here in middle TN on Friday but will pack and dress accordingly for the cooler weather in Chicago this weekend.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Brandon

Quote from: hbelkins on April 18, 2012, 09:49:54 AM

Still unsure. Will decide tonight if I'm coming. If so, the journey begins after a doctor's appointment tomorrow morning.

However, it's going to be mostly sunny.  That's part I worried most about.  Temperature's manageable as long as it's not sub-freezing or 85+ and humid.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hbelkins

I'm in. See you all Saturday -- if not Friday night, if there is a meet & greet or an impromptu gathering.

Alps

Friday is definitely a meetup at Metro Bar and Grill. I volunteered to coordinate - many of you have my number, I gave it to Brandon, if anyone else needs it, sorry, you should have been my friend ;) Kidding - find me on Facebook and will be happy to give it out. I'm expecting for people to show up in the 7-8 range and make a night of it.

Brandon

Got your number, Steve, and it's in my phone.  I usually go up to an Arthur Murray (yes, I take lessons and can dance better than Adam Carolla) in Schaumburg.  They have a dance party (pros and us amateurs) on Friday (9-10pm).  Typically, this entails driving all or most of the length of I-355.  Trying to decide whether to invite others to go, or to go to Metro.  :hmmm:

jpi

Steph and I should get into Joliet around 7 to 8 pm tomorrow evening depending on traffic (especailly Louisville) Just got to get through one more day of work today. Steve- you should have my #, I have yours.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

mgk920

I wonder if anyone will be bringing along one or more of their old 'Amish Sim Cities' to show off and compare?

:poke:

:nod:

Mike

A.J. Bertin

Who all is up for a pre-meet gathering to hang out on Friday night?
-A.J. from Michigan

mgk920

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on April 19, 2012, 11:25:12 PM
Who all is up for a pre-meet gathering to hang out on Friday night?

I wish that I could, but I likely won't be off from work until after 8pm or later.

:-(

Mike

okroads

Just wanted to say I had a great time meeting everybody at the Joliet meet today. We had just under 20 attendees so it was a great turnout. Thanks Brandon for hosting the meet; I had a great time and hope everyone else who attended did as well.

Brandon

Yes, the turnout was very good, and the weather was good as well.  We had, IIRC, 17 for the tour.  The tour included:

A very well coordinated signal at Essington, Ring, and Hennepin by the mall in Joliet (mall entrance, city owns the signal).

The One-Lane Renwick Road Bridge over the DuPage River and its replacement construction in Plainfield.

The Plainfield Tornado Memorial.

The Dixie Square of abandoned bridges, the Division Street Bridge over the Des Plaines River in Crest Hill/Lockport.  The meet photo was taken here.

Kicks on 66, a Joliet city park where the ice cream stand with Jake and Elwood is.

Jefferson Street Bridge, downtown Joliet.

Brandon Road Lock, Dam, and Bridge in Rockdale.

The new Arsenal Road Interchange construction in Elwood to replace an overburdened interchange a bit further north.

The new Brisbin Road Interchange between Morris and Minooka.

The eastbound Three River Rest Area on I-80 for maps.  All they had were the 2009-2010 editions.

Then a tour of I-80 to I-355 to I-55 and back to US-30.  A few button copy signs on I-55.

GeekJedi

You did a spectacular job, Brandon!  I lived there for many years and didn't even know about these hidden gems.  It was a fun day!

-Chris
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

Alps

Quote from: GeekJedi on April 22, 2012, 12:28:40 PM
You did a spectacular job, Brandon!  I lived there for many years and didn't even know about these hidden gems.  It was a fun day!

-Chris
Hey, since when did you start posting here? Welcome!

GeekJedi

Thanks!

I've been lurking around here for a long time.  I haven't said much since I think this internet thing is just a passing fad.  ;-)
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

mgk920

Quote from: Brandon on April 22, 2012, 10:10:38 AM
Yes, the turnout was very good, and the weather was good as well.  We had, IIRC, 17 for the tour.  The tour included:

A very well coordinated signal at Essington, Ring, and Hennepin by the mall in Joliet (mall entrance, city owns the signal).

The One-Lane Renwick Road Bridge over the DuPage River and its replacement construction in Plainfield.

Steve just couldn't wait for that bridge's conversion into a pvblic park trail!

Quote from: Brandon on April 22, 2012, 10:10:38 AMThe Plainfield Tornado Memorial.

Fascinating.  I can't believe that that was over 20 years ago now.

Quote from: Brandon on April 22, 2012, 10:10:38 AMThe Dixie Square of abandoned bridges, the Division Street Bridge over the Des Plaines River in Crest Hill/Lockport.  The meet photo was taken here.

Some of us probably are a little bit beyond help....

Quote from: Brandon on April 22, 2012, 10:10:38 AMKicks on 66, a Joliet city park where the ice cream stand with Jake and Elwood is.

Jefferson Street Bridge, downtown Joliet.

Brandon Road Lock, Dam, and Bridge in Rockdale.

Dam (and a lock)...

;-)

Quote from: Brandon on April 22, 2012, 10:10:38 AM

The new Arsenal Road Interchange construction in Elwood to replace an overburdened interchange a bit further north.

The new Brisbin Road Interchange between Morris and Minooka.

Yea, it was fun popping those sandbags!

(hehehehehehehe)

Quote from: Brandon on April 22, 2012, 10:10:38 AMThe eastbound Three River Rest Area on I-80 for maps.  All they had were the 2009-2010 editions.

Then a tour of I-80 to I-355 to I-55 and back to US-30.  A few button copy signs on I-55.

Fun time.  A quick night tour of Chicago and a few other places finished out the day for me before crashing for the night at a so-so motel in Joliet.

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.