News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

DC-area meet in mid-May

Started by froggie, March 01, 2012, 06:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpi

Or in my case, girlfriend\ wife will come to road meets for lunch and socializing but will do her own thing whille the rest of us go on the tour:-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Alps

Quote from: jpi on April 07, 2012, 12:59:40 AM
Or in my case, girlfriend\ wife will come to road meets for lunch and socializing but will do her own thing whille the rest of us go on the tour:-)
That is all I ask.

Laura

Quote from: Steve on April 07, 2012, 01:08:54 AM
Quote from: jpi on April 07, 2012, 12:59:40 AM
That is all I ask.

Coming from the other side...agreed.

Anyway, I actually CANNOT come to the meet, and while I have no weddings or wedding activities scheduled, my mom and I are going to Scranton, PA that day for The Office Fan Tour!!! I bought us the tickets a while ago and it's my Mother's Day present to her.

If people are around on Sunday, I'll be around. Figures that too many awesome things happen on the same day...

CanesFan27

Quote from: Duke87 on April 06, 2012, 05:21:49 PM
Moving my attendance status from "maybe" to "probably not", given that 1) this is just far enough away to require devoting both saturday and sunday to it, and 2) my girlfriend has established that she will not be coming to any road meets with me.

Do you really blame her for not wanting to?

Duke87

Quote from: CanesFan27 on April 11, 2012, 03:19:06 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on April 06, 2012, 05:21:49 PM
Moving my attendance status from "maybe" to "probably not", given that 1) this is just far enough away to require devoting both saturday and sunday to it, and 2) my girlfriend has established that she will not be coming to any road meets with me.

Do you really blame her for not wanting to?

No, but do you really blame me for asking? :biggrin:

I do still on attending a few more meets this year. It's just that this one is two days, extra expense, and stuff I've seen before, so it isn't worth ditching her for. *ducks*
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

froggie

Quoteand stuff I've seen before

Unless you've been through town within the past couple months, I'd disagree on this part.  But I digress...

Duke87

Quote from: froggie on April 16, 2012, 07:50:59 AM
Unless you've been through town within the past couple months

December.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

hbelkins

Curious as to whether any decisions have been made on a meetup site and time yet. Reason I'm asking is, I have the opportunity to attend a professional development event in Frankfort on Friday, 5/18. The early registration deadline is May 4. If feasible, I could attend the conference and leave Frankfort in time to stay somewhere along the route but within an easy drive of the meet location the next morning. I don't want to be on the road much later than 9 p.m. so knowing where we're meeting, and the best route to use to approach that location, would aid me in deciding whether to attend the conference and head out afterwards, or to take a day off work and forego the conference.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

yanksfan6129

yeah remind me when is this meet again?

hbelkins

1995hoo

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 01, 2012, 12:46:40 PM
Can't answer until closer to then due to some probable family commitments.

Afraid I have to pass due to the family commitments I expected would interfere. Maybe next time.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

I'm questionable now. Went ahead and made a commitment to attend a professional development conference in Frankfort on the 18th, which will be over at 2:30. That gives me about 6 hours to drive east in daylight hours. If that can get me to a place where I can reach the meet site with a three-hour drive on Saturday morning, I'll probably be there. Otherwise, I'll have to scratch.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

Still waiting to hear the specifics of this, since it's a week from today.

oscar

I'm still on board for the meet, but would have to peel away around 4pm for another event.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

hbelkins

I'm in hopes that it will be over early enough to allow me to drive down to Richmond and then take US 250 west to Charlottesville during daylight hours, which would all but get me a clinch of that route in the Old Dominion. And since my plan is to take US 250 west from Staunton to Elkins on the way home Sunday, that would get me the clinch. (All I would need of 250 in VA after Saturday is the section from Staunton to Monterey.

froggie

Sorry, all.  I've been busy.  I have commitments of my own that day, so the idea is to skip a "lunch gathering" and do a direct tour.  Preliminary thinking is to meet at the Huntington Metro station at noon.

hbelkins

http://g.co/maps/cj7mr

The station at 2509 Huntington Avenue, or the Park & Ride lot at 5810 Biscayne Drive?

Also, any idea how long you expect the tour to last?

Beltway

Quote from: hbelkins on May 13, 2012, 02:07:04 PM
http://g.co/maps/cj7mr

The station at 2509 Huntington Avenue, or the Park & Ride lot at 5810 Biscayne Drive?

Also, any idea how long you expect the tour to last?

What date ?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

froggie

QuoteThe station at 2509 Huntington Avenue, or the Park & Ride lot at 5810 Biscayne Drive?

Neither.  Google screws up the garage addresses, which technically don't have addresses to begin with.  The idea is to meet in the north garage (accessed from the Huntington Ave/Fenwick Dr intersection).

QuoteAlso, any idea how long you expect the tour to last?

A few hours...depending on how much we want to see.  I'm leaving it open-ended for the time being.

QuoteWhat date ?

Next Saturday, the 19th.

74/171FAN

I don't think I'm going to make it now due to family friends being over this weekend but no matter what I would be questionable at best.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

froggie

I'd also like to mention that, for meet attendees, I'll have copies of the latest Vermont state map and the New Hampshire tourist map (same cartography as the NHDOT map).  I also have a few spare copies of the 2012 North Carolina state map (wound up ordering twice, inadvertantly).

hbelkins

I have 2012 Kentucky maps -- with "Highway" spelled "Highway" and not "Higway" on the front cover.

hbelkins

I attended this meet along with Seth Dunn, Michael Pruett, Oscar Voss and our host, Froggie.

I used Staunton, Va. as my overnight accommodations for Friday and Saturday night. Drove up from Frankfort Friday afternoon via I-64. Noticed the WV Turnpike emergency detour signs that were mentioned a couple of weeks ago. Also noted the 70 mph speed limit in Virginia. The section between Covington and Clifton Forge with the narrow median now has two sets of cable barriers, but the speed limit is 65 in that stretch.

On Saturday, drove to Alexandria via I-64, US 29, I-66 and I-495. US 29 was a pleasant drive north of Charlottesville, with some 60 mph stretches. Saw the construction to convert the intersection with VA 55 to a grade-separated interchange and bridging the railroad tracks south of I-66.

The meet tour itself was interesting. Got to see the 11th Street Bridge, clinched I-295 in DC and MD, and got plenty of vantage points for the HOT lanes on I-495.

Leaving the meet, I opted to drive US 1 south because of congestion on I-95, finally hitting the interstate at Dale Road near Occoquan. I-95 was busy but not terribly congested. Took I-295 to US 360 to Broad Street in Richmond, then headed west on US 250. US 360 is decently signed, but 250 and 33 are not.

As I headed west on 250, I intended to take it all the way to Charlottesville, but had been warned of a bridge closure just east of I-64 there. Suddenly I remembered that I had already been on that section. Returning from a family vacation when I was very young, we were forced off I-64 at US 522 and had to take US 250 west to Charlottesville. So I hopped off US 250 at Gum Springs and took I-64 west to US 250, where I took the bypass of Charlottesville and back around to I-64 to head back to Staunton.

Sunday morning I headed west on 250. Besides the cutouts in Staunton, there are still a few sets along the intersecting state secondary routes between Staunton and Monterey. There's also a cutout VA 42 shield still standing in Churchville. US 250's a pleasant drive but you have to cross several mountains between Staunton and the state line.

No new territory west of Monterey and nothing out of the way to report along US 250 to Elkins, or Corridor H west to I-79.

Got to see quite a bit of the tornado damage along the Mountain Parkway near Salyersville. The tornado touched down near the KY 30 interchange and there is a distinct path of damage that paralleled or crossed the Mountain Parkway several times. Many of the guide signs along that stretch were destroyed and still have not been replaced.

froggie

Thank you to those who came.  Wanted to let you all know that the local 11th St Bridge opened to traffic on Thursday...and that area on the bridge that was barricaded off is indeed being used as a bike/ped path.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.