News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Interstate 885 in Durham

Started by bob7374, August 19, 2014, 11:55:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ghostbuster

Maybe the Interstate 885 designation won't need to be approved by AASTHO, since it is already signposted and marked in the picture that accompanies the Twitter tweet.

LM117

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 23, 2022, 12:09:16 PM
Maybe the Interstate 885 designation won't need to be approved by AASTHO, since it is already signposted and marked in the picture that accompanies the Twittert tweet.

If I-87 signs on the Knightdale Bypass are any indication, then that may well be true (assuming no request for I-885 was sent to AASHTO last month). AASHTO never got a request for I-87, either.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

froggie

A reminder to all that FHWA has final approval on Interstate designation, signage, and when segments actually become part of the Interstate system.  Though they usually defer to AASHTO for what the actual number would be.

Strider

Quote from: froggie on June 23, 2022, 01:07:12 PM
A reminder to all that FHWA has final approval on Interstate designation, signage, and when segments actually become part of the Interstate system.  Though they usually defer to AASHTO for what the actual number would be.

I am pretty sure NCDOT either got an approval or a pending approval with conditions (improving US 70, etc.). I do know that they would not have signed I-885 all over if they do not get an approval. I just reached out to the NCDOT representative in Durham County. Hope to hear back soon.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: LM117 on June 23, 2022, 12:14:14 PM
If I-87 signs on the Knightdale Bypass are any indication, then that may well be true (assuming no request for I-885 was sent to AASHTO last month). AASHTO never got a request for I-87, either.

LOL, it was AASHTO that assigned the number 87 on the route.

I am sure AASHTO approved I-885, we just don't have the 2022 Spring Minutes yet is all.

LM117

Quote from: WashuOtaku on June 23, 2022, 02:45:38 PM

They approved "Future I-87" in May 2016, but they never gave approval to slap I-87 shields on the Knightdale Bypass afterward because NCDOT never submitted an application to them to do so. They just went straight to FHWA.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: LM117 on June 23, 2022, 03:13:05 PM

They approved "Future I-87" in May 2016, but they never gave approval to slap I-87 shields on the Knightdale Bypass afterward because NCDOT never submitted an application to them to do so. They just went straight to FHWA.

Part of the package when they eliminated I-495 in the 2017 Spring Meeting.

Mapmikey

Quote from: WashuOtaku on June 23, 2022, 03:56:40 PM

I-87 was approved to be signed in December 2016.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: WashuOtaku on June 23, 2022, 03:56:40 PM

Quote from: Mapmikey on June 23, 2022, 04:01:09 PM
I-87 was approved to be signed in December 2016.

I-87 falls into a different category.  The entire route between Raleigh and Norfolk has Congressional authorization as part of the Interstate system, and when NCDOT requested I-46 it got slapped down by AASHTO who handed them a weird number to use.  Part of that route was already in the Interstate system, so they didn't need FHWA approval to slap up signs (as long as FHWA funding wasn't in play) and they didn't need further AASHTO approval (because they already said so).  So there is still the question about slapping up I-87 signs of that section of US-64/US-264 Knightdale Bypass east of I-540, which had not been signed as I-495.  Not sure why I-495 was truncated to I-540 in the first place, since the Knightdale Bypass was designed as part of the Interstate system to begin with, but I don't see where FHWA or AASHTO needs to be involved when NCDOT is spending its own moneys on signage.

froggie

Quote from: Dirt Roads on June 23, 2022, 04:49:56 PM
but I don't see where FHWA or AASHTO needs to be involved when NCDOT is spending its own moneys on signage.

FHWA is still involved because it's a project on the Interstate system, even if it's not funded by Federal funds distributed by FHWA.  A lot of FHWA-state DOT correspondence happens that is not often made public.

Dirt Roads

kevinb1994

Strider

Well, there you go. Looks like we got an approval for I-885 which seemed to be done behind the closed doors. I reached out to one of the reps, and here is what I was told:

Sent By: Contact Us AdministratorDate/Time: 6/24/2022 1:02:26 PM
Comment:This is in reference to your contact us inquiry concerning Interstate 885 and if approved by FHWA or AASHTO. The proposed route of I-885 is considered a loop. Connecting Interstate routes and full or partial circumferential beltways around or within urban areas carry a three-digit number. These routes are designated with the number of the main route (in this case I-85) and an even-numbered prefix. Since the proposed segment connects to an interstate on both ends it is considered a loop with an even-numbered prefix (I-885). AASHTO has the approving authority on Interstate and US route numbers. This is done through an application process. AASHTO route numbering committee meets twice a year to review and approve Interstate and US route changes for the United States. AASHTO has approved the route number of I-885 and FHWA has approved the roadway addition to the Interstate system.

Thank you,
(I do not put who responded to my email due to security reasons)
State Signing and Delineation Engineer
Mobility and Safety Division, Signing and Delineation Unit
North Carolina Department of Transportation

The Ghostbuster

It took them long enough to both approve the 885 designation and to complete the East End Connector.

bob7374

ahj2000

1995hoo

Google has an I-885 shield on the tolled portion between I-40 and NC-540. Is that correct?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

froggie

^ That would be incorrect.  Should be NC 885 south of I-40.

LM117

BlueRidge

Quote from: froggie on June 30, 2022, 09:25:27 AM
^ That would be incorrect.  Should be NC 885 south of I-40.
Already submitted a change ticket, though who knows how seriously they take such input from the general public.

english si

Quote from: BlueRidge on June 30, 2022, 03:45:25 PMAlready submitted a change ticket, though who knows how seriously they take such input from the general public.
I'm not sure the issue is that you are general public (perhaps you don't have enough edit-credit compared to the original change suggester?). It's google maps, which is terrible at the cartography side and they don't care enough about it to have highly competent people dealing with corrections.

I've done a few corrections that haven't stuck because they've fallen for some pedant's joke and haven't the knowledge to understand what's wrong. Something like "no it's NC885 not I-885" is likely going to be similar - if a human checks it, they aren't going to have the understanding enough to think its a mistake enough to not have the status quo (or worse, not see the difference).

fillup420

I clinched I-885 North today; it was pretty underwhelming. Considering most of the route is on existing roadway... The new section is nice, I can't believe it took 6 years to build it.

Mileage Mike

I'll be checking it out this weekend.

The Ghostbuster

There are some stubs at NC 885/old NC 147's southern terminus at NC 540. If I remember the NC 147 Wikipedia page correctly (it has been altered, with no exit information on Interstate/NC 885 south of the East End Connector), the stubs will become a connector road to McCrimmon Parkway. Does this connector road have a construction date, and will it be part of NC 885?

BlueRidge

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 01, 2022, 01:09:59 PM
There are some stubs at NC 885/old NC 147's southern terminus at NC 540. If I remember the NC 147 Wikipedia page correctly (it has been altered, with no exit information on Interstate/NC 885 south of the East End Connector), the stubs will become a connector road to McCrimmon Parkway. Does this connector road have a construction date, and will it be part of NC 885?
May be of little help, but here's NCDOT's page on this very project: https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/nc-147-extension/Pages/project-history.aspx

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.