News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 73/74

Started by Voyager, January 18, 2009, 08:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WashuOtaku

Quote from: Strider on January 16, 2014, 12:47:21 PM
I hope NCDOT will do something with the 74 mess after I-74 is being built in the state. It's a serious mess. Some routes should be reduced to state routes. Or they can move US 74 back to the old alignment and leave just I-74. Still a mess, but less messier.

Highly unlikely NCDOT will do anything with US 74, since its still considered a major highway that links the southern areas of the state, from the Mountains to the Beach.  Removing the entire route would mean changing EVERYTHING... and that's not in the budget.  And honestly, I believe most people know the difference between US 74 and Interstate 74.

Strider

Quote from: WashuOtaku on January 16, 2014, 06:11:22 PM
Quote from: Strider on January 16, 2014, 12:47:21 PM
I hope NCDOT will do something with the 74 mess after I-74 is being built in the state. It's a serious mess. Some routes should be reduced to state routes. Or they can move US 74 back to the old alignment and leave just I-74. Still a mess, but less messier.

Highly unlikely NCDOT will do anything with US 74, since its still considered a major highway that links the southern areas of the state, from the Mountains to the Beach.  Removing the entire route would mean changing EVERYTHING... and that's not in the budget.  And honestly, I believe most people know the difference between US 74 and Interstate 74.

Of course, NCDOT wouldn't. We know them too well. I am just saying there's a possibility but we can just dream. Either way, I am looking forward to the completion of the Rockingham bypass.

Strider

No updates on I-74 signage along US 311 between I-40 and High Point city line. However, while driving east on I-40, just before the US 311 interchange, I spotted a brand new I-74 signage that interprets "I-74 East exits here" like EAST I-74 RIGHT ARROW. That's pretty much it.

bob7374

Quote from: Strider on January 23, 2014, 07:13:50 PM
No updates on I-74 signage along US 311 between I-40 and High Point city line. However, while driving east on I-40, just before the US 311 interchange, I spotted a brand new I-74 signage that interprets "I-74 East exits here" like EAST I-74 RIGHT ARROW. That's pretty much it.
Well, I guess that's some progress. If you get back there with a camera sometime, I'd happily post a photo it on my site.
The contract for the first phase of the Rockingham Bypass was let Tuesday, hopefully construction will start by March.

jcarte29

Quote from: Strider on January 23, 2014, 07:13:50 PM

was it overhead? and was it a shield accompanied by text? or just text?
Interstates I've driven on (Complete and/or partial, no particular order)
------------------
40, 85, 95, 77, 277(NC), 485(NC), 440(NC), 540(NC), 795(NC), 140(NC), 73, 74, 840(NC), 26, 20, 75, 285(GA), 81, 64, 71, 275(OH), 465(IN), 65, 264(VA), 240(NC), 295(VA), 526(SC), 985(GA), 395(FL), 195(FL)

Strider

http://i.istockimg.com/file_thumbview_approve/12202954/2/stock-photo-12202954-interstate-40-east-highway-road-sign.jpg

Nope, it's just like the photo above.. except it is "74" instead of "40". The next time I am on this way, I will pull over and get a photo of it.

jcarte29

Spoke with Wesley Young of the Winston-Salem Journal a couple days ago. He spoke with Div 9 Engineer Pat Ivey recently, and found out the project to sign Forsyth County's portion of I-74 is still planned, just delayed. He did confirm they placed the I-74 sign as a short term fix. He will continue to monitor and write another article when he knows more.
Interstates I've driven on (Complete and/or partial, no particular order)
------------------
40, 85, 95, 77, 277(NC), 485(NC), 440(NC), 540(NC), 795(NC), 140(NC), 73, 74, 840(NC), 26, 20, 75, 285(GA), 81, 64, 71, 275(OH), 465(IN), 65, 264(VA), 240(NC), 295(VA), 526(SC), 985(GA), 395(FL), 195(FL)

Strider

Yeah that explains why i saw the I-74 ground sign out there.

rickmastfan67

Curious, but does anybody have photos showing US-220 being removed between Exits #25 and #41?  Just wanted to make sure that part of the signage upgrade has been done before I update it in OSM.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on March 05, 2014, 11:41:57 PM
Curious, but does anybody have photos showing US-220 being removed between Exits #25 and #41?  Just wanted to make sure that part of the signage upgrade has been done before I update it in OSM.

Yeeeep.  I can confirm that US 220 was moved back on its original alignment between exit 25-41.

NE2

Have I mentioned that NCDOT rules?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

rickmastfan67

Quote from: WashuOtaku on March 05, 2014, 11:53:57 PM

Yeeeep.  I can confirm that US 220 was moved back on its original alignment between exit 25-41.

Thanks for the conformation.  I've now fixed OSM in that area. :)

bob7374

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on March 06, 2014, 09:29:53 AM
Quote from: WashuOtaku on March 05, 2014, 11:53:57 PM

Thanks for the conformation.  I've now fixed OSM in that area. :)
I assume those are Begin North I-73/West I-74 signs in the background of Exit 25.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: bob7374 on March 06, 2014, 10:48:55 AM
I assume those are Begin North I-73/West I-74 signs in the background of Exit 25.

Your assumption is correct.

agentsteel53

how much more wrong can we get?

* random beginning in the beginning of nowhere
* useless multiplex
* 73 connects nothing to nowhere
* 74 connects lots of nothings to lots of nowheres, doesn't fit the grid, conflicts with US-74, and duplicates the number of a legitimate interstate
* '70 spec shields with oversize number and no state name

and people think 238 is an issue?  238 is an important link with a silly number.  this is just bizarro-pork.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

WashuOtaku

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 06, 2014, 01:52:10 PM
how much more wrong can we get?

* random beginning in the beginning of nowhere
* useless multiplex
* 73 connects nothing to nowhere
* 74 connects lots of nothings to lots of nowheres, doesn't fit the grid, conflicts with US-74, and duplicates the number of a legitimate interstate
* '70 spec shields with oversize number and no state name

and people think 238 is an issue?  238 is an important link with a silly number.  this is just bizarro-pork.

There is also "end" signs located on the otherside too, I just didn't post the picture.  But you are not being fair because these interstates are still being extended in the state.  Construction south of here is slated to begin in a couple of years; the current interstate system wasn't built overnight, took several decades.

Both I-73 and I-74 take different routes to Myrtle Beach (splitting at Rockingham), which has no interstate connection; when the interstate is expanded beyond North Carolina, it will connect the Mid-west states to the Southeast.  I-73 north connects Asheboro and Greensboro and eventually Roanoke, VA.  I-74 connects High Point, Winston-Salem and Mount Airy.

Nobody seems to be confused with US 74 and I-74.

The interstate shield style is used throughout North Carolina; they do not put their state name on them.

hbelkins

Quote from: WashuOtaku on March 06, 2014, 03:24:34 PMwhen the interstate is expanded beyond North Carolina, it will connect the Mid-west states to the Southeast

Except it won't.

You won't see I-74 in Virginia, West Virginia and Ohio/Kentucky, and I have my doubts that you'll ever see I-73 in Virginia.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NE2

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bob7374

Quote from: WashuOtaku on March 06, 2014, 01:25:22 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on March 06, 2014, 10:48:55 AM

Your assumption is correct.

Could I possibly post the photo, and the others, on my I-73/I-74 site?

US 41

Quote from: NE2 on March 06, 2014, 04:19:57 PM
I see I-74 in Ohio.

The only reason you see it is because it already exists west of Cincinnati. I sort of doubt we'll ever see it east of Cincinnati.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

agentsteel53

Quote from: WashuOtaku on March 06, 2014, 03:24:34 PMBut you are not being fair because these interstates are still being extended in the state.  Construction south of here is slated to begin in a couple of years; the current interstate system wasn't built overnight, took several decades.

why does NC get to post I-73/74 as every segment is opened, while Alabama, Mississippi, and Tennessee have to wait for I-22?  I-22 is a much more significantly continuous route.  73/74 reminds me of the boondoggle that is 69.

QuoteBoth I-73 and I-74 take different routes to Myrtle Beach (splitting at Rockingham), which has no interstate connection;

lots of places have no interstate connection.  it's Myrtle Beach, not Chicago. 

QuoteI-73 north connects Asheboro and Greensboro and eventually Roanoke, VA.  I-74 connects High Point, Winston-Salem and Mount Airy.
US-220 is a perfectly adequate number for a regional freeway.  (just ask Pennsylvania!)  or, I can actually see 73 as a valid number (without the whole FritzOwlesque pipe dream of "gee whiz let's connect it to Michigan!"), but 74 is just completely ridiculous.

QuoteNobody seems to be confused with US 74 and I-74.
not even at the 74 split?  there are so many integers available for an ostensibly east-west interstate south of I-40... why did they have to pick 74? as with 99, the bastardization of a mathematically coherent system for political purposes continues.  (this precise "we must have this number pass through our town!" gerrymandering is why AASHO originally insisted on a grid-based system in 1926.)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Strider

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 06, 2014, 06:50:26 PM
Quote from: WashuOtaku on March 06, 2014, 03:24:34 PMBut you are not being fair because these interstates are still being extended in the state.  Construction south of here is slated to begin in a couple of years; the current interstate system wasn't built overnight, took several decades.

why does NC get to post I-73/74 as every segment is opened, while Alabama, Mississippi, and Tennessee have to wait for I-22?  I-22 is a much more significantly continuous route.  73/74 reminds me of the boondoggle that is 69.

QuoteBoth I-73 and I-74 take different routes to Myrtle Beach (splitting at Rockingham), which has no interstate connection;

lots of places have no interstate connection.  it's Myrtle Beach, not Chicago. 

QuoteI-73 north connects Asheboro and Greensboro and eventually Roanoke, VA.  I-74 connects High Point, Winston-Salem and Mount Airy.
US-220 is a perfectly adequate number for a regional freeway.  (just ask Pennsylvania!)  or, I can actually see 73 as a valid number (without the whole FritzOwlesque pipe dream of "gee whiz let's connect it to Michigan!"), but 74 is just completely ridiculous.

QuoteNobody seems to be confused with US 74 and I-74.
not even at the 74 split?  there are so many integers available for an ostensibly east-west interstate south of I-40... why did they have to pick 74? as with 99, the bastardization of a mathematically coherent system for political purposes continues.  (this precise "we must have this number pass through our town!" gerrymandering is why AASHO originally insisted on a grid-based system in 1926.)

I-73 and I-74 is congressional designed interstates, just like 99 and 69. You don't like it.. take it up to them. I-73/74 will connect to Ohio, Michigan, West Virginia and Virginia. However, it will not be happening in our lifetime. The farthest I-73 will connect is Myrtle Beach, SC and Roanoke, VA. I don't know about I-74 though and personally I support I-73 more than I-74.

I-22 isn't designed because it have not connect to a interstate yet (I-65 interchange is still under construction), but I do recall in some places there are I-22 shields up. Somebody will confirm that.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: bob7374 on March 06, 2014, 05:19:08 PM
Could I possibly post the photo, and the others, on my I-73/I-74 site?

As long as you provide credit and link back to my flickr page.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/washuotaku/

I have more pictures, you can do a search on my photostream when you get there, I use tags.  :-D

english si

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 06, 2014, 06:50:26 PMnot even at the 74 split?  there are so many integers available for an ostensibly east-west interstate south of I-40... why did they have to pick 74?
Because those who planned the scheme wanted the Cincinnati-Portsmouth interstate to connect Cincinnati with places east/south east in a more direct way as part of the congressionally designated future interstate corridor and they also needed a number for the alternate, N-S, round the houses, route through the Carolinas and decided that the best way to do it was to have I-74 run concurrent through the Virginias and pretend that the alt route was E-W?

NE2

Who was the original proponent of I-73/74? For example, the I-69 porkstension began as an Indy-Evansville route being pushed by folks in Washington, Indiana. Was I-73/74 an outgrowth of an I-95 link to Myrtle Beach studied in 1982? Or did this simply get tacked onto the end of Bluefield's desire to get US 52 four-laned?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.