MN-110, as pictured in its final weeks

Started by MNHighwayMan, June 03, 2018, 07:06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNHighwayMan

Mods, feel free to move this to the Road Trips or Midwest — Great Lakes board if it is actually more appropriate in one of those boards. I thought it appropriate to put in this board due to the sheer number of pictures I'll eventually be posting, even though it's mainly going to be of interest to the people in the Midwest — Great Lakes board, nor is there much focus on my actual trip/experiences. (I didn't do anything besides pull over a lot and take pictures. :-P) Here is also a link to the thread about the renumbering of MN-110 as an MN-62 extension, for anyone unaware of the changes MnDOT is going to make and for some discussion of the matter.

The pictures displayed in this thread are downsized versions of the originals so this page loads faster; clicking on any pictures will bring you to a link to the original, full-size image (to look at or download/save, if that's your thing ;-)). Note that these pictures are also not in chronological order–although they are for the most part, as I mainly undertook this task driving 110 from west to east, and I'm splitting this series into parts aligned in that direction, there was some backtracking that went on with getting certain pictures, too.

So with all that said, I'll start with part one:

Part One: The Approach Toward the West End of MN-110 from MN-55.

On the morning of Saturday, May 26th, after spending Friday night at a buddy's place in St. Louis Park, I gathered a cooler filled with ice and Gatorade, some sunscreen, and mentally prepared to thoroughly photograph MN-110 in the 95 degree, sunny day that was up and coming. Some might call me crazy–I prefer to think of it as dedicated. :)

As I drove east toward my target on MN-62, I noticed a total absence of any mention of 110; 62, as it exists today, makes no references at all to 110, nor does MN-55 before the Mendota bridge. In fact, the first thing I came across, that would be affected by the renumbering, is the END MN-62 sign. It's posted just a short distance west of the exit to MN-55 westbound/Hiawatha Ave. This sign is not long for the world and is likely to be removed altogether (should be, anyway).

East of this interchange, the road now becomes MN-55, although this will become the western end of a MN-55/62 concurrency once the renumbering is completed.

It's not immediately obvious (at least it wasn't to me), but even signs not on MN-110 will have to be modified, because the 62 renumbering will also affect the part that will become a concurrency, like this sign here at the MN-5 west exit from 55. I'll be curious to know if they patch the MN-55/Mendota Br BGS by moving over the 55 marker and adding a 62 marker, or just replace it with a new panel entirely. Replacing it seems likely to me, given how old it looks, but you just never know.

The first mention of MN-110 going east does not occur until crossing the Mendota Bridge, after which a series of three more signs informs of the upcoming split between 110 and 55 (as well as access to MN-13):

Unlike the other three, the very first sign appears to be quite new, with the larger initial capital and Minnesota route markers that still have that lovely gold color to them:

Compare to the second sign, which is identical except for the more modern appearance:

Third and fourth signs, now on dry land coming up to the split:

Not long after following MN-55 toward MN-13 south, I came up to the intersection with MN-13. Going eastbound, there is no mention of MN-110 at all (why would there be, after all?) Going a little distance and turning around to go westbound on MN-55, however, you're first greeted by this double junction sign:

And further up, this overhead display is posted as the turn lanes begin for the intersection:

On the mast arm for the WB MN-55 traffic signal, two green panels are mounted, one of MN-13 (duh), and a separate one for MN-110 that lacks the "TO" above the route marker.

A similar situation (at least regarding the lack of a "TO" indication) is encountered on the signal mast arm for MN-13 NB:

And finally, to conclude this first part of my photo log, is the TO MN-110 marker posted alongside the MN-13 NB assurance shield. The blank space on this post is a bit of a mystery and I still haven't come up with what it might've been used for.

TheHighwayMan3561

My theory about the last photo is there was another sign there that they just left the poles in place to tack the shields onto. Perhaps another BGS or maybe a rectangular arrow sign. lolno

EDIT: Streetview shows it was a Great River Road assembly in that spot.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.8741967,-93.1623433,3a,37.5y,25.16h,88.64t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s663sZl0ruBevNq2JBVmgXA!2e0!5s20160701T000000!7i13312!8i6656
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

froggie

^ The blank signpost space was for Great River Road (GRR) signage.  I'm not sure if they are just missing or if MnDOT finally got around to "cutting the corner" by rerouting the GRR to connect between MN 55 and MN 13 via MN 110.  The previous official designation for the GRR was to follow MN 55 across the Mendota Bridge and "turn left" onto MN 13.

MNHighwayMan

One little detail I want to mention before I get to the body of Part Two, is this extremely faded sign on MN-13 NB, north of MN-55. It is a brown sign so faded that it has turned teal green in the process.

Here it is, in GSV imagery from 2007 before the sun massacred it. Anyway.

Part Two: The Western Terminus of MN-110 and the MN-13 Junction

Very, very shortly after branching off from MN-55, 110 encounters its junction with MN-13. There's one sign right before the signal pointing toward NB MN-13, which I failed to get my own picture of, and then the signal. The signals, however, are where the vast majority of all the directional signage is at this junction, which is in true Minnesota fashion.

Here are the EB MN-110 signal (left) and the SB MN-13 signal (right). Notice that the signal on the right makes no mention of 13 on it at all, just that ahead is the road "TO MN-55 East."

It's also slightly amusing, because the directional display before the signal on SB 13 also makes no mention of itself (but the Great River Road gets mentioned, going off to the right, to 55!)

On the opposing corner, we have the WB MN-110 signal (left) and the NB MN-13 signal on the right, and in the second picture, the display on NB 13 before the signal (complete with the vacant spot where a Great River Road marker used to be!)

Notice in all these pictures that, as far as MN-13 is concerned, MN-110 only goes east from this junction. While practically true, it's not technically true. This end sign is indeed posted west of the 13/110 junction. A notable fact about this assembly is that it has the only independent 110 shield on the entire route that is 36" by 45". The rest are all 24" by 30".

All other assurance markers along MN-110 look just like this one, which is the first independent EB 110 marker after diverging from MN-55, posted east of the MN-13 junction.

What's interesting is that all of these markers seem to have been a part of a recent resigning project along MN-110. I'm curious to know if this project was put in place and enacted before the number switch was announced, or if MnDOT and/or the contractor went ahead with the resigning despite that all these pretty shields are going to end up as scrap in a couple months anyway. (P.S. MnDOT, if you're reading this, can I have one?)

Lastly, for this installment, is the second (well, first, if you're traveling west) END WB MN-110 posting, combined on the same panel with the JCT MN-13/55 posting.

As always, any questions, comments, or feedback welcome!

froggie

There was a major rehab project on the eastern half of MN 110 (generally east of I-35E) that wrapped up last year.  I'm not 100%, but it's quite possible the sign replacements were associated with and done in conjunction with that rehab project.  If that's the case, final design and fabrication would have been done well before the decision and announcement that MN 62 was taking over MN 110.

MNHighwayMan

I meant to post these once a day or so, until I'd covered pretty much everything about 110, but you know, real life issues come before making forum posts. :) So:

Part Three: The I-35E Interchange

Going east from MN-13, the next intersection encountered is the Lexington Ave traffic signal. I skipped that, due to its unimportance, and then shortly after, I came across this sign advising me of the upcoming interchange with I-35E.

I can't say I'd seen a sign advising of an upcoming interchange like this before, but it makes perfect sense given the arrangement of the interchange. One last thing I noticed, before getting back in my car, was the tiny Mile 1 marker attached to the left post. Given that the existing mile markers are going to be removed and replaced with MN-62's markers (I have to imagine), I realized I should capture those, too. Below is MM 1, but going westbound, where you can see its proximity to the Lexington Ave signal.

The most interesting thing about the ramp from 110 to SB I-35E is this FYA/permanent green ahead arrow combination for westbound MN-110. Note that it is even a double protected/permissive left from WB 110 onto the ramp. But, like every other double FYA installation in Minnesota that I've seen, it did not operate in the permissive phase at all while I was around.

Here it is again, in more straightforward shot, during the protected left phase. At the right in this picture, you can also better see the ramp from SB I-35E to WB MN-110.

The ramps to/from NB I-35E and both directions of 110 are much more traditional.

Assurance markers in both directions from the above signal.

The westbound version of the somewhat odd sign I posted above for EB MN-110.

Both that sign and the EB sign were also followed by the more traditional Minnesota-style interchange direction signs, like this one for WB 110. I didn't get a picture of the EB sign. Also, if you notice something a little odd about this picture, it's a teaser for a section of Part Four. ;-)

I'll conclude Part Three with the exit BGSes for 110 off I-35E. I have pictures of the advance signs, too, but I won't bother posting those unless requested.

Here's the single exit for 110 off of NB I-35E.

And for SB I-35E, it's split into two exits (as previously seen), the first for WB MN-110, and the second for EB 110.

Comments, questions, etc. welcome!

dvferyance

So now it will leave Wisconsin as the only state in the great lakes region that has a 110 route. As there is no 110 route in Iowa, Michigan and well you know.

Big John

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: dvferyance on June 07, 2018, 05:37:17 PM
So now it will leave Wisconsin as the only state in the great lakes region that has a 110 route. As there is no 110 route in Iowa, Michigan and well you know.

Unless this route's been eliminated since March of last year, there's an Iowa 110. Runs from US-20 to IA-7 west of Storm Lake. ;-)

dvferyance

Quote from: Big John on June 07, 2018, 05:47:52 PM
^^ There is the CKC 110 in Illinois
I know my post was a joke in the fact that IL-110 is the most useless route in the country.

NE2

Quote from: dvferyance on June 08, 2018, 04:53:26 PM
Quote from: Big John on June 07, 2018, 05:47:52 PM
^^ There is the CKC 110 in Illinois
I know my post was a joke in the fact that IL-110 is the most useless route in the country.
I forgot to laugh.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Highway63

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on June 07, 2018, 06:01:37 PM
Unless this route's been eliminated since March of last year, there's an Iowa 110. Runs from US-20 to IA-7 west of Storm Lake. ;-)
*reminds self there's a rant about the new highway shields to write*

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Highway63 on June 12, 2018, 06:28:17 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on June 07, 2018, 06:01:37 PM
*reminds self there's a rant about the new highway shields to write*

I must be the only person on here that likes (well, doesn't mind/actively dislike) the new wide Iowa shields. :-D Also, if you're looking for/need pictures of them for that rant, I have quite a few of them I photographed myself (like the Iowa 110 one above) you may use. ;-)

P.S. Part Four of this thread is coming soon, I swear. In fact, I'll start finishing it up right now.

MNHighwayMan

Part Four: The RIRO and MN-149 Junction

Between I-35E and MN-149 is an intersection with a residential street (Carmen Lane, which largely exists to serve as the entrance to the loop of Crown Point Dr), where WB, traffic is right in/right out (RIRO) only, but there is access from EB 110 to turn left onto the street. Below is a decent panorama of the intersection, with surprisingly only one artifact caused by passing traffic. :)

As such, traffic from Carmen Lane must go right, cut across both westbound lanes, and then take a U-turn to get onto EB MN-110.

Anyway, continuing east on 110, we soon come up to MN-149/Dodd Road. But wait! Right before that, we pass Mile Marker 2. The westbound mile marker is attached to the post for the assurance shield for WB 110 from the 149 junction.

The junction and the signals themselves. First is the EB 110/NB 149 signal, second is the WB 110/SB 149 signal. I have pictures taken from all four corners, and of each signal individually, but I chose the best looking two corners for brevity's sake.

While there aren't any arrow displays on 149 (the signs on the signal mast arms are all you get, unlike with MN-13), I did get pictures of the JCT assemblies from both directions on MN-149. First is the sign on NB 149. Note in the background the construction sign warning of the current closure of the High Bridge across the Mississippi.

And here's the JCT assembly for SB MN-149. This sign would be totally unremarkable if it weren't for what's on the back of the 110 marker.

Not one but two date stickers, showing two of the different styles of sticker that MnDOT has used. What two stickers means in this case, I can't be certain.

Anyway, that's Minnesota Highway 110 up to MN-149. As usual, comments, questions, etc. are welcome! And I'll try to put together a Part Five in fewer days next time. ;-)

MNHighwayMan

Part Five: The East End of MN-110

After passing MN-149, there are two signals left on MN-110, both of which are county roads and I didn't intend to cover them, until I noticed something slightly unusual about the next signal, at Delaware Ave (Dakota CR-63). The fact that Delaware Ave is also the boundary/tri-point between Mendota Heights (the city that all of MN-110 thus far has been in) and West St. Paul (to the northeast) and Sunfish Lake (to the southeast) isn't terribly interesting, except for the way that MnDOT/signing contractor decided to mark the boundary crossing.

EB MN-110, with the unusual double city sign posted in the median. No effort is made to tell you which side of the road is which. I guess you're just supposed to know, or guess based on the order in which the signs were installed.

WB 110 also has the city sign in the median, but we're wholly within one city going west.

I have to assume they're installed in the median because they're not terribly important and proper spacing between the other, more important signs was maintained. Oh, and just east of the Delaware Ave intersection is Mile Marker 3.

When I parked on a nearby side street to take some of the above pictures, I also caught this on a street blade on the Mendota Heights side of Delaware Ave.

If I am not mistaken, that part of Mendota Road was in fact, at one time, part of MN-110. Nope this is wrong, apparently, see froggie's reply below. I have no idea what they're intending by putting that on the street blade here, then. The street blades on the West St Paul side of Delaware Ave make no mention of 110 at all. (Didn't get a picture of them, but here's the intersection in GSV.)

Continuing east, past the last traffic signal which connects MN-110 to another section of Mendota Rd, and we come upon the EB END marker for MN-110.

Before reaching the actual end of 110, where it merges into I-494, we pass the final mile marker, Mile Marker 4 and the exit to MN-3/Robert St. On the WB side, we also get the first ground-mounted westbound assurance shield to accompany the mile marker.

Unsurprisingly, MN-3/Robert Street only ever makes mention of WB MN-110, as east of there, the route is essentially just a ramp to EB I-494. This is the first sign, heading north on MN-3. I did snap off several of the bush's branches that were obscuring the bottom of the sign, hence why it looks somewhat neatly outlined along the bottom. :)

Then here's the signals at the EB on/off-ramps, with no mention of 110, but instead, EB I-494. Note that the signal for the offramp calls MN-3 Robert Trail and not Robert Street. I think this is because the interchange is technically within Inver Grove Heights, where it is Robert Trail, and not West St. Paul, which calls it Robert Street. Still, the disparity between the signs at the signal and the signs on MN-110 itself is a little unusual.

Pass that signal and there's an overpass mounted advance guide sign for WB MN-110, followed by a guide sign at the beginning of the left turn lane for the WB ramps.

And finally, a combo shot of both the mast-arm mounted guide sign for WB MN-110 and the END marker for MN-3.

MN-110 doesn't get much fanfare on Robert St SB towards MN-3, just this single overhead sign approaching the WB ramps.

Finally, to conclude Part Five, here is the dying gasp of EB MN-110 as it merges into I-494 while a ramp toward US-52 splits off to the right.

The final part of this series will cover the references to MN-110 from other nearby highways, mostly US-52 and I-494. Thanks for looking and as always, questions, comments, etc are welcome!

froggie

QuoteIf I am not mistaken, that part of Mendota Road was in fact, at one time, part of MN-110.

Not the case.  That particular road is and has always been a frontage road since it was built ca. 1970.  What is now the westbound lanes in that vicinity was the original MN 100.  It was already 4-laned before it became MN 110.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: froggie on June 17, 2018, 08:55:26 PM
QuoteIf I am not mistaken, that part of Mendota Road was in fact, at one time, part of MN-110.
Not the case.  That particular road is and has always been a frontage road since it was built ca. 1970.  What is now the westbound lanes in that vicinity was the original MN 100.  It was already 4-laned before it became MN 110.

Hmm, then why mention Hwy 110 on there at all? Maybe they wanted "Hwy 110 Frontage Road" but that was just way too long? But then why the arrow? Hmmm.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.