News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seicer

Is there a reason why roads flanking the I-88 corridor (including ramps on I-88) have yield signs in lieu of stop signs? Traffic counts are probably lower since nearly every junction off of I-88 are rural, but this is something that's not replicated in other areas of the state. (IMO, yield signs are underappreciated.)

cl94

Quote from: seicer on September 28, 2020, 10:54:56 AM
Is there a reason why roads flanking the I-88 corridor (including ramps on I-88) have yield signs in lieu of stop signs? Traffic counts are probably lower since nearly every junction off of I-88 are rural, but this is something that's not replicated in other areas of the state. (IMO, yield signs are underappreciated.)

Good sightlines. NYSDOT will occasionally post yield signs where sightlines are good, particularly in the western part of the state. That being said, sightlines in this state are rarely good enough to meet the Green Book standard for posting a yield sign over a stop sign.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

dkblake

Driving question: I'm driving a cargo van from near Burlington-area to near Buffalo and back later this week- I lived in upstate NY for 7-8 years but never went that particular corridor. Maps are either suggesting taking 8 to 365 to the Thruway or 67 from Malta to Amsterdam.  Anyone have experience with either? I'm thinking about driving 8/365 one way and 67 the other, but not sure if 8 is relatively straight/flat like Route 12 or curvy like, say, Route 3 (which would be not super appealing in a cargo van).
2dis clinched: 8, 17, 69(original), 71, 72, 78, 81, 84(E), 86(E), 88(E), 89, 91, 93, 97

Mob-rule: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/dblake.gif

webny99

Quote from: dkblake on September 28, 2020, 10:32:17 PM
Driving question: I'm driving a cargo van from near Burlington-area to near Buffalo and back later this week- I lived in upstate NY for 7-8 years but never went that particular corridor. Maps are either suggesting taking 8 to 365 to the Thruway or 67 from Malta to Amsterdam.  Anyone have experience with either? I'm thinking about driving 8/365 one way and 67 the other, but not sure if 8 is relatively straight/flat like Route 12 or curvy like, say, Route 3 (which would be not super appealing in a cargo van).

You came to the right place!

I've actually done both routes. NY 8 is not a bad road, definitely not as straight/flat as NY 12, but not as curvy as NY 3 either. It's the more scenic route by far, especially now that we're heading into leaf changing season, but it's going to be slower going and not as much opportunity to make up time. NY 67, on the other hand, is quite a nice road outside of Amsterdam, making it the preferred shortcut between I-87 and I-90. I've also taken NY 29 to NY 30A, but once was enough for that route. I'd vastly prefer NY 67: It's shorter, higher-quality road, fewer slowdowns, and fewer trucks. Just make sure to use Malta Ave/US 9 to connect to/from I-87.

lstone19

Quote from: webny99 on September 28, 2020, 11:05:53 PM

I've actually done both routes. NY 8 is not a bad road, definitely not as straight/flat as NY 12, but not as curvy as NY 3 either. It's the more scenic route by far, especially now that we're heading into leaf changing season, but it's going to be slower going and not as much opportunity to make up time. NY 67, on the other hand, is quite a nice road outside of Amsterdam, making it the preferred shortcut between I-87 and I-90. I've also taken NY 29 to NY 30A, but once was enough for that route. I'd vastly prefer NY 67: It's shorter, higher-quality road, fewer slowdowns, and fewer trucks. Just make sure to use Malta Ave/US 9 to connect to/from I-87.
My mother grew up in Ballston Spa which you will pass through using 67 so 67 has always been my go-to route between the Northway and the Thruway and I know all the roads. With a car, I'd go I-87 to Exit 13, north on US 9 to Old Post Road and then west until it ends at Malta Ave. (with the van, south on US 9 to Malta Ave. will be better but slightly longer). Reaching Ballston Spa, left on Hyde Blvd. to East High Street, then right (and past the house my mother grew up in). East High St. then becomes NY 67 as you reach the middle of Ballston Spa. 67 will become a little curvy approaching Amsterdam and Amsterdam is always a pain to get through but it's a good way to go.

iPad

D-Dey65

Quote from: Buffaboy on September 24, 2020, 12:33:28 PM
There's a new building proposed in Buffalo that would be built within the NY-5 E/I-190 N on-ramp loop... while I think it's an interesting idea, my gut tells me that there will be opposition from the DOT. Any thoughts?

Also, are there any other examples of projects like this around the US/internationally? I haven't found any.

Remember the CHP station in the middle of a loop ramp in "CHiPs?"

D-Dey65

SignBridge

Quote from: D-Dey65 on October 02, 2020, 01:15:30 AM
Quote from: Buffaboy on September 24, 2020, 12:33:28 PM
There's a new building proposed in Buffalo that would be built within the NY-5 E/I-190 N on-ramp loop... while I think it's an interesting idea, my gut tells me that there will be opposition from the DOT. Any thoughts?

Also, are there any other examples of projects like this around the US/internationally? I haven't found any.

Remember the CHP station in the middle of a loop ramp in "CHiPs?"

That was a real CHP Station. I saw it myself on a visit to Los Angeles in 1984. It's at the interchange of the I-10 (Santa Monica Fwy) and I-110 (Harbor Fwy) in the Downtown area.

D-Dey65

Quote from: SignBridge on October 02, 2020, 08:13:34 PM
That was a real CHP Station. I saw it myself on a visit to Los Angeles in 1984. It's at the interchange of the I-10 (Santa Monica Fwy) and I-110 (Harbor Fwy) in the Downtown area.
That's the one. I forgot the location, but I knew it was real. There's no way that's a safe arrangement.

Alps

Quote from: D-Dey65 on October 02, 2020, 08:20:54 PM
That's the one. I forgot the location, but I knew it was real. There's no way that's a safe arrangement.

Speaking of real police stations: https://goo.gl/maps/ncCs1vYa5HeSCx4h7

GenExpwy

Quote from: Alps on October 02, 2020, 11:07:48 PM

Speaking of real police stations: https://goo.gl/maps/ncCs1vYa5HeSCx4h7

And speaking of real police stations inside freeway cloverleafs and Buffalo:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9350668,-78.7677445,3a,75y,172.84h,92.15t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sv0rcGql8uGXgICFAAUcr-g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

SignBridge

Why is that not a safe arrangement? Seems to me it's good use of the space.

STLmapboy

Quote from: SignBridge on October 03, 2020, 07:43:37 PM

Why is that not a safe arrangement? Seems to me it's good use of the space.
Yeah. Unlike the Buffalo example (which admittedly has lower traffic), the access isn't at grade with the ramps. The CHP building is fairly nice, with a low profile and decent parking, not clinging to the ramp's edge as a multi-story building like the proposed Buffalo example.

Anyway, I had a completely different question. I've noticed that New York signs tend to have rounded edges, compared to Missouri's sharper edges. I could never quite pin down why NY signs looked different until I looked closer at the sides. It appears Florida does the same thing; I don't know of any more states that do this. Is there any particular reason or just an NYSDOT specification?
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

SignBridge

The MUTCD specifies rounded corners. It allows the corners to either be actually rounded like NY does, or the sign can be square cornered with a rounded sign face like many states do.

There are also two types of sign construction. The square cornered signs are usually extruded design. The actual rounded signs are usually a flat sheet of metal (aluminum maybe) with stiffeners added to the back to make it more wind resistant.

machias

Quote from: SignBridge on October 03, 2020, 08:06:14 PM
The MUTCD specifies rounded corners. It allows the corners to either be actually rounded like NY does, or the sign can be square cornered with a rounded sign face like many states do.

There are also two types of sign construction. The square cornered signs are usually extruded design. The actual rounded signs are usually a flat sheet of metal (aluminum maybe) with stiffeners added to the back to make it more wind resistant.

I believe Virginia and North Carolina use physically rounded corners as well. New York did this for worker safety, I think in the 1950s or 60s.

yakra

Is the mileage-based renumbering of I84 complete now? It was mostly done as of January; I'm looking to confirm that 2->4 and 3->15 have happened.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

vdeane

Quote from: yakra on October 04, 2020, 01:54:44 PM
Is the mileage-based renumbering of I84 complete now? It was mostly done as of January; I'm looking to confirm that 2->4 and 3->15 have happened.
roadwaywiz did a livestream recently that included I-84.  3->15 was done and I think 2->4 was as well.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

dkblake

Quote from: lstone19 on September 28, 2020, 11:33:49 PM
Quote from: webny99 on September 28, 2020, 11:05:53 PM

My mother grew up in Ballston Spa which you will pass through using 67 so 67 has always been my go-to route between the Northway and the Thruway and I know all the roads. With a car, I'd go I-87 to Exit 13, north on US 9 to Old Post Road and then west until it ends at Malta Ave. (with the van, south on US 9 to Malta Ave. will be better but slightly longer). Reaching Ballston Spa, left on Hyde Blvd. to East High Street, then right (and past the house my mother grew up in). East High St. then becomes NY 67 as you reach the middle of Ballston Spa. 67 will become a little curvy approaching Amsterdam and Amsterdam is always a pain to get through but it's a good way to go.

iPad

This worked great- thanks!
2dis clinched: 8, 17, 69(original), 71, 72, 78, 81, 84(E), 86(E), 88(E), 89, 91, 93, 97

Mob-rule: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/dblake.gif

storm2k

Quote from: machias on October 03, 2020, 10:17:18 PM
Quote from: SignBridge on October 03, 2020, 08:06:14 PM

I believe Virginia and North Carolina use physically rounded corners as well. New York did this for worker safety, I think in the 1950s or 60s.

NC does use physically rounded corners as you stated. I believe VA used to, but I believe newer installs are using extruded metal which means squared corners with rounded borders. DE also used to use rounded signs, but has also moved towards extruded metal so squared corners with rounded borders.

SignBridge

Does anyone know why the extruded design is becoming more popular? It is definitely more crude looking. You can sometimes see the horizontal lines right thru the sign face. New York DOT's signs look much better with their flat sheet metal and physically rounded corners.

Maybe Alps could shed some light?   

Alps

Quote from: SignBridge on October 08, 2020, 08:12:30 PM
Does anyone know why the extruded design is becoming more popular? It is definitely more crude looking. You can sometimes see the horizontal lines right thru the sign face. New York DOT's signs look much better with their flat sheet metal and physically rounded corners.

What did I ever do to you?
I don't have a great answer here. Different agencies have different preferences based on cost, durability, their specs, their sign supports, and what they're comfortable with.

mariethefoxy

I noticed on Ocean Parkway (the long island one, not the brooklyn one) the wooden lightposts seem to be all gone in the section between the Meadowbrook/Bay Parkway interchange and the traffic circle with Wantagh Parkway and there is none all the way towards the far eastern section where they added new retro wooden ones near the Robert Moses Exit.

Were they all knocked down by a hurricane, or was this a conscious decision by the NYSDOT to pull em out?

Also how come the Wantagh parkway south of Merrick Road didnt get retro wooden lights? I remember a long while ago they used to have the oldest style ones, they were in the median.

SignBridge

Quote from: Alps on October 08, 2020, 10:54:35 PM
Quote from: SignBridge on October 08, 2020, 08:12:30 PM

What did I ever do to you?
I don't have a great answer here. Different agencies have different preferences based on cost, durability, their specs, their sign supports, and what they're comfortable with.

LOL Nothing personal Alps. But since you're from a state that uses the extruded signs and you're usually knowledgable about this stuff, I thought you might be able to fill us in on the reasons to use one type of construction over the other. Didn't mean to put you on the spot.

vdeane

Alternative concepts for the US 44/NY 55 and US 9 interchange have been posted: https://www.poughkeepsie94455.com/virtual-meeting
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

empirestate

Quote from: vdeane on October 14, 2020, 12:52:14 PM
Alternative concepts for the US 44/NY 55 and US 9 interchange have been posted: https://www.poughkeepsie94455.com/virtual-meeting

Wow, they're all just so funky.

The flyover seems like it would be the easiest to adapt to. They basically function like the current configuration, except that the U-turn movements are moved away from the thru lanes, which is the biggest drawback with what's there now.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.