New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

I wouldn't say the George Washington Bridge signage is right.  NYSDOT reverted I-95 back to mile-based exits years ago but the Port Authority signs still use the attempted sequential numbering scheme.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SignBridge

Vdeane, I'm not sure if you're correct or not. My memory of G.W. Bridge signing goes back to way before you got here; you might be more current than I am. Years ago the Port Authority did not even use exit numbers. I'll take note next time I drive the bridge, though that might not be for a while.

vdeane

Right now the Port Authority uses 1, 2, 3, where the exits are officially 1A, 1B, 1C-D.  NYSDOT had planned to convert I-95 to sequential (seems more confusing to me to have the numbers reset where the Thruway takes over, and they must have seen that too, because the NYSDOT signs that had been converted reverted some time later).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

Quote from: Duke87 on September 03, 2013, 11:36:22 PM
Psst, guys... that pair of signs was installed by MTA Bridges & Tunnels (a.k.a. TBTA), being physically located on the structure of the Triboro Bridge and all.  ;-)

TBTA, like lots of agencies that just maintain bridges and their approaches, has given us plenty of signage monstrosities since it isn't something they have a lot of experience with or pay a lot of attention to. Those signs are pretty much standard expectation for TBTA, there is worse out there.
All depends on the engineers designing the signs. Keep an eye out for the next couple of projects on the Verrazano. ;)

Duke87

Quote from: vdeane on September 04, 2013, 10:46:37 PM
Right now the Port Authority uses 1, 2, 3, where the exits are officially 1A, 1B, 1C-D.  NYSDOT had planned to convert I-95 to sequential (seems more confusing to me to have the numbers reset where the Thruway takes over, and they must have seen that too, because the NYSDOT signs that had been converted reverted some time later).

Yeah, NYSDOT's false start at renumbering the Cross Bronx caused that mess. PANYNJ when they replaced their signs did so with numbers which were correct at the time they were installed, consistent with NYSDOT's new numbers. Then NYSDOT changed their mind and redid the tabs on all the new signs they'd installed. Meanwhile PANYNJ said "we're not spending money to replace brand new exit tabs" and left their signs alone. Give it 20 years for those signs to get to their natural replacement cycle and then they'll be correct.

Quote from: Steve on September 04, 2013, 11:57:34 PM
All depends on the engineers designing the signs. Keep an eye out for the next couple of projects on the Verrazano.  ;-)

There is a beautiful "Entering Staten Island" medallion coming of the upper level that I assume isn't going to be replaced with anything remotely similar. Dunno how much control you have over what happens to the old signs but that one is definitely worth preserving. You should have it added to your collection. ;-)
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

roadman

Perhaps somebody should introduce PANYNJ to this popular concept called an "overlay".
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

cpzilliacus

Forbes.com: E-ZPasses Get Read All Over New York (Not Just At Toll Booths)

QuoteAfter spotting a police car with two huge boxes on its trunk – that turned out to be license-plate-reading cameras – a man in New Jersey became obsessed with the loss of privacy for vehicles on American roads. (He's not the only one.) The man, who goes by the Internet handle "Puking Monkey,"  did an analysis of the many ways his car could be tracked and stumbled upon something rather interesting: his E-ZPass, which he obtained for the purpose of paying tolls, was being used to track his car in unexpected places, far away from any toll booths.

QuotePuking Monkey is an electronics tinkerer, so he hacked his RFID-enabled E-ZPass to set off a light and a "moo cow"  every time it was being read. Then he drove around New York. His tag got milked multiple times on the short drive from Times Square to Madison Square Garden in mid-town Manhattan...
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

deathtopumpkins

I thought it was common knowledge states used E-ZPasses for things like travel times?

From what I know about MA though, no identifying information is stored when a transponder is read for this purpose, and it's illegal to use E-ZPasses for law enforcement purposes.

In short, sure, yeah, this guy's E-ZPass gets read all the time driving around, but that doesn't mean he's being tracked, or the government is logging whis travels. It just means that E-ZPasses are a convenient source of data for calculating traffic conditions.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

kkt

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on September 16, 2013, 07:00:01 PM
I thought it was common knowledge states used E-ZPasses for things like travel times?

From what I know about MA though, no identifying information is stored when a transponder is read for this purpose, and it's illegal to use E-ZPasses for law enforcement purposes.

In short, sure, yeah, this guy's E-ZPass gets read all the time driving around, but that doesn't mean he's being tracked, or the government is logging whis travels. It just means that E-ZPasses are a convenient source of data for calculating traffic conditions.

Did you know that originally it was illegal for any agency or company to use social security numbers, except for the Social Security Administration?

NE2

Quote from: kkt on September 16, 2013, 09:07:43 PM
Did you know that originally it was illegal for any agency or company to use social security numbers, except for the Social Security Administration?
[citation needed]
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

SidS1045

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on September 16, 2013, 07:00:01 PM

The travel-time signs in MA are driven by Bluetooth signals, not toll tags.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

deathtopumpkins

I was told by people at the traffic operations center that they used both.

Note how nobody is upset about using bluetooth signals though,  only E-ZPass.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

roadman

Nope.  From the Social Security Administration's FAQ:

•Didn't the government promise that SSNs wouldn't be used for ID?

For the first few decades that SSN cards were issued, they carried the admonition: "Not to be used for Identification." Unfortunately there was never any law passed instituting this as a policy.

"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

SidS1045

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on September 17, 2013, 12:28:58 PM
I was told by people at the traffic operations center that they used both.

I'm pretty sure that PHLBOS explained a while back that they were using Bluetooth only.  But, I could be wrong.  I've been
wrong before.  I'm getting used to it.

There was an article a few days ago in The New York Times which explained that NYCDOT is reading E-ZPass tags for the purpose of traffic monitoring (and, of course, never told the tag holders it would be used for that purpose).  Supposedly, just as in MA, the tag is assigned a random number for tracking purposes which is purged a few minutes after the last valid read on the tag, so no information is being stored permanently and the tags' internal ID numbers are not being used, so they can't be matched to any personal information.

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on September 17, 2013, 12:28:58 PMNote how nobody is upset about using bluetooth signals though, only E-ZPass.

Of course.  Bluetooth is used for what they want (handsfree phone usage and, in some cars, audio streaming) and toll tags are used for what they have to have to travel on certain roads (toll payments).  Naturally the one they have to have is the one they'll complain about.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Michael

While I was looking for the law about using a TWLTL as a merge lane when turning onto a road in the Vehicle and Traffic Law of New York a few days ago, I found something interesting:

Quote from:  VAT, Title 7, Article 25, Section 1128, Paragraph B
Upon a roadway which is divided into three lanes and provides for two-way movement of traffic a vehicle shall not be driven in the center lane except when overtaking and passing another vehicle traveling in the same direction when such center lane is clear of traffic within a safe distance, or in preparation for making a left turn or where such center lane is at the time allocated exclusively to traffic moving in the same direction that the vehicle is proceeding and such allocation is designated by official traffic-control devices.

The first part seems to indicate that the law still allows for a shared passing lane ("suicide lane").  I was wondering if other people around here would interpret it the same way.

Going back to my original question, it seems that using a TWLTL as a merge lane is illegal in New York, but again, I'd like the opinions of others here.

Here's a link to the page on the New York law website, and if it doesn't work for some reason, use the table of contents to go the the section in my quote.

roadman

Quote from: SidS1045 on September 18, 2013, 10:59:09 AM

Of course.  Bluetooth is used for what they want (handsfree phone usage and, in some cars, audio streaming) and toll tags are used for what they have to have to travel on certain roads (toll payments).  Naturally the one they have to have is the one they'll complain about.

It's more basic than that:  Bluetooth is recognized as a product of private industry, which is generally believed to do nothing wrong.  The E-ZPass tag is recognized as a product of government, which is generally believed to do nothing right.

PHLBOS

Quote from: SidS1045 on September 18, 2013, 10:59:09 AMI'm pretty sure that PHLBOS explained a while back that they were using Bluetooth only.  But, I could be wrong.  I've been
wrong before.  I'm getting used to it.
I don't believe that I was ever involved in such of a discussion.  You might be right about the issue at hand but wrong on who explained it. :)
GPS does NOT equal GOD

empirestate

Aiiieeeee!!!!  X-(

IMG_1631 by NateOMatic, on Flickr

IMG_1630 by NateOMatic, on Flickr

NE2

Obviously a new standard for reference routes.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

machias

Quote from: empirestate on October 01, 2013, 10:39:03 AM
Aiiieeeee!!!!  X-(

IMG_1631 by NateOMatic, on Flickr

IMG_1630 by NateOMatic, on Flickr

I have to admit that I have NEVER seen an upside down marker (other than NY 69 or NY 96) like that in the Empire State.

Wow.  Just Wow.

NJRoadfan

For those wondering, the Port Authority Exit 1,2,3 signs on I-95/TME went up in late 2002-early 2003.

hubcity

Quote from: NE2 on October 01, 2013, 10:56:30 AM
Obviously a new standard for reference routes.

That contractor owes me a new keyboard.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: SidS1045 on September 18, 2013, 10:59:09 AM

Bluetooth is also used as a tool to check and validate other travel time collection technology and systems, in particular Inrix. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

kkt

Quote from: roadman on September 17, 2013, 02:21:07 PM

Nope.  From the Social Security Administration's FAQ:

-Didn't the government promise that SSNs wouldn't be used for ID?

For the first few decades that SSN cards were issued, they carried the admonition: "Not to be used for Identification." Unfortunately there was never any law passed instituting this as a policy.

You're right.  I was intentionally exaggerating, which I intended to signify by writing it as a question, but there's no way you and NE2 could have gotten that.  Sorry for unclear writing.

empirestate

Quote from: upstatenyroads on October 01, 2013, 04:19:17 PM
I have to admit that I have NEVER seen an upside down marker (other than NY 69 or NY 96) like that in the Empire State.

Wow.  Just Wow.

I mean, "NY" 990V was the original reference route-signed-as-touring route error (?), but since three others have since arisen, it's as if they felt the need to re-emphasize the erroneousness of 990V. Now, it's just so many shades of special...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.