News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Roadgeeks and Weatherfans

Started by Alex, January 18, 2009, 09:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

Tornado warning number 4 in that area, now in Connecticut.

QuoteTORNADO WARNING FOR...NORTHEASTERN LITCHFIELD COUNTY IN NORTHERN CONNECTICUT...

edit: and number 5:

QuoteTORNADO WARNING FOR... SOUTHERN OXFORD COUNTY IN WESTERN MAINE...

Chris

The U.S. mainland got a tropical storm warning, in southeast Massachusetts including Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard islands. Hurricane Bill will pass southeast of this area, but the cyclone is quite large and tropical storm force winds extend very far out of the center.

njroadhorse

QuoteAlready 3 tornado warnings in the NE Pennsylvania/New York region today. Right now in Orange County, NY.
That was like 20 minutes from me! :-o
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

PAHighways

Ontario has been a virtual tornado alley this month, with one in the northwestern part of the province in early August then a couple just this past Thursday.

allniter89

Weatherfan here too!! When I lived in Dover, DE and we'd get a rare winter weather event I'd go out driving to expierence it firsthand. I'd stop often to check the ice or snow buildup on the front of the car as well as the snow buildup on the back of the car from the snow roostertail from going down the snow covered road :no: :). When I drove a taxi, I volunteered to work when other drivers were calling in sick and worked many a 18-20 hrs shift cuz other drivers couldnt or wouldnt come in to work.
I moved to the NW FL panhandle in 1981 and now I wait for and drive into the daily thunderstorms we have. Not much hurricane expiernece yet tho cuz I used to drive a truck and I'd come home after the storm to clean up  :angry:. Now that I've retired I'll be expierencing more hurricanes, not sure how I feel about that yet :wow:
I was home for hurricane Ivan, he came thru at night and it was a bit scary :-( :-o.
Can anyone suggest some active/informative weather forums?
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

Scott5114

Hm, so that's where all our tornadoes went. We really didn't have any in May or June like we normally do.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Alex

QuoteCan anyone suggest some active/informative weather forums?

I frequent www.hardcoreweather.com Its a good information resource/forum for hurricanes, especially for those of us on the Gulf Coast and in the Southeast

rickmastfan67

Quote from: mightyace on July 25, 2009, 02:25:12 AM
Quote from: jgb191 on July 25, 2009, 02:21:24 AM
Growing up in South Texas, my parents would never let me out of the house without a jacket and a pair of gloves on when it drops below 60 degrees, hence how I am today.

Even when it's 105 degrees, you'll see me outside with a heavy shirt and long pants without any trouble.

On the other hand, having grown up in rural PA, I've worn shorts when it's in the 60's or 70's!

Have you ever worn shorts @ around 32F? :P  Was going to school in Jacksonville, FL for one year and when I was on saftey partrol in the middle of winter.  And I was wearing shorts while outside dirrecting traffic near 32F.  hahaha.

jgb191

In south Texas, today marks the 100th consecutive day (and still counting) we've seen afternoon high temperatures in the triple-digits (>100 degrees).  The last day we failed to reach 100 degrees was on May 14, 2009.  (This is also our 108th day overall for 2009 in the triple-digits.)

Of those 100 days, we've seen highs in the 110s on nine days; the highest of which hit 116 degrees set on May 19th. 

While this is nothing unprecedented, it's fairly unusual for us not to have a break from the scorching heat....in the mid-upper 90s for a couple of days of the phone.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

SSOWorld

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on August 23, 2009, 11:50:54 PM
Growing up in South Texas, my parents would never let me out of the house without a jacket and a pair of gloves on when it drops below 60 degrees, hence how I am today.

Even when it's 105 degrees, you'll see me outside with a heavy shirt and long pants without any trouble.

On the other hand, having grown up in rural PA, I've worn shorts when it's in the 60's or 70's!

Have you ever worn shorts @ around 32F? :P  Was going to school in Jacksonville, FL for one year and when I was on saftey partrol in the middle of winter.  And I was wearing shorts while outside dirrecting traffic near 32F.  hahaha.
Didn't any teacher send you home to get pants on? :-o
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Chris

Excessive heat warning in SE California and SW Arizona:

QuoteWELL ABOVE NORMAL TEMPERATURES WILL OCCUR FRIDAY AND SATURDAY WITH
HIGH TEMPERATURES NEARING RECORD VALUES. HIGH TEMPERATURES WILL
PEAK OUT AROUND 109 IN LAS VEGAS...112 TO 117 IN THE COLORADO
RIVER VALLEY AND NORTHEAST CLARK COUNTY...107 AT PAHRUMP...105 AT
KINGMAN...108 TO 112 IN THE SAN BERNARDINO COUNTY DESERTS AND 122
AT DEATH VALLEY NATIONAL PARK.

122 F  X-( (50 celsius!)

SSOWorld

Quote from: Chris on August 28, 2009, 09:22:51 AM
Excessive heat warning in SE California and SW Arizona:

QuoteWELL ABOVE NORMAL TEMPERATURES WILL OCCUR FRIDAY AND SATURDAY WITH
HIGH TEMPERATURES NEARING RECORD VALUES. HIGH TEMPERATURES WILL
PEAK OUT AROUND 109 IN LAS VEGAS...112 TO 117 IN THE COLORADO
RIVER VALLEY AND NORTHEAST CLARK COUNTY...107 AT PAHRUMP...105 AT
KINGMAN...108 TO 112 IN THE SAN BERNARDINO COUNTY DESERTS AND 122
AT DEATH VALLEY NATIONAL PARK.

122 F  X-( (50 celsius!)
good thing not many people live there ;)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Chris

Yeah, but 105+ is still unbearable to me, and it happens in populated places. I had to go out today to install some traffic counters and it was windy and 68 F... I kinda like that for working conditions.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Master son on August 24, 2009, 09:50:54 AM

Didn't any teacher send you home to get pants on? :-o

No, it was part of the school uniform......

jgb191

For the first time since May 14, we've failed to reach 100 degrees.

Today only topped out at 98 degrees, which ends a streak of 107 consecutive days with highs in the triple-digits. Tomorrow's high is looking at much cooler 94 degrees, and then one more day of cooler after that, before we climb back into the triple-digits.

njroadhorse

We haven't cracked 100 yet, which is weird, because usually we do at least once. :wow:
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Jim

Having been on college campuses in various roles for over 20 years now, it seems that a good chunk of every recent generation of college students, at least in the northeast, will stick with the shorts well into the fall and start up again early in the spring, say when it's above about 50 degrees.  Then there's always the smaller core group that holds out until it's below freezing.  Then those few who refuse to switch to the long pants even on a morning when it's well below 0F.  I've seen a few who stick with a t-shirt and shorts no matter the weather..

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

algorerhythms

QuoteHaving been on college campuses in various roles for over 20 years now, it seems that a good chunk of every recent generation of college students, at least in the northeast, will stick with the shorts well into the fall and start up again early in the spring, say when it's above about 50 degrees.  Then there's always the smaller core group that holds out until it's below freezing.  Then those few who refuse to switch to the long pants even on a morning when it's well below 0F.  I've seen a few who stick with a t-shirt and shorts no matter the weather..
During my senior year in college I lived in a dorm building that was connected via indoor bridges to most of the other campus buildings, which meant most days I didn't have to go outside. I wore shorts every day that year -- and it went well below zero a few times that year.

Since I've moved to Oklahoma, I end up wearing shorts much of the winter just because it doesn't get very cold here. Kind of fun when it's 45F to be wearing shorts when most of the people you pass by on the street are wearing scarves and gloves. The thing I don't like about living in Oklahoma is that I have a roommate from Texas who thinks it's normal for the thermostat to be set to 80F.

Chris

Remarkable, there's an excessive heat watch in Monterey, California, while there's a freeze watch 250 miles to the east, in Nevada.

rawmustard

Quote from: Chris on September 20, 2009, 11:51:11 AM
Remarkable, there's an excessive heat watch in Monterey, California, while there's a freeze watch 250 miles to the east, in Nevada.

I'm sure the difference in elevation has much to do with that one.

mightyace

Quote from: rawmustard on September 20, 2009, 12:36:27 PM
Quote from: Chris on September 20, 2009, 11:51:11 AM

I'm sure the difference in elevation has much to do with that one.

That and a little thing called the Sierra Nevada mountains.  :-D
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Chris

The first snow storm is moving over the eastern Rockies in Colorado tonight and tomorrow  :love:

Quote...HEAVY SNOW LIKELY OVER THE EAST SLOPES OF THE FRONT RANGE AND
THE PALMER DIVIDE LATE TONIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY...

QuoteROADS WILL LIKELY BECOME SLUSHY OR SNOWPACKED IN THE HIGHER FOOTHILLS
AND OVER THE MOUNTAIN PASSES...AND POSSIBLY ALONG THE SUMMIT OF
MONUMENT HILL ON INTERSTATE 25.

QuoteSNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS BY LATE WEDNESDAY
AFTERNOON WILL RANGE FROM 6 TO 16 INCHES AT ELEVATIONS ABOVE 7000
FEET.

Love it!

jgb191

A very cold awakening to a chilling low of 66 degrees at 7 AM on Thursday early morning. A strong cold front and winds combined with rain made it feel really cold outside.

Thankfully order is restored on Monday when we return to a more comfortable 96 degrees and 101 on Tuesday and lows climbing back in the mid 70s.

Chris

66 is chilling? It was already 40 F here last week in the morning (but in the upper 60's during the day). Let them winter roll!  :spin:

agentsteel53

Quote from: jgb191 on September 27, 2009, 12:50:51 AM
A very cold awakening to a chilling low of 66 degrees at 7 AM on Thursday early morning. A strong cold front and winds combined with rain made it feel really cold outside.

Thankfully order is restored on Monday when we return to a more comfortable 96 degrees and 101 on Tuesday and lows climbing back in the mid 70s.

where is that?

here in northeast NM, we had first frost on the 20th.  Got down to 24, and it snowed.  Yesterday was a boiling 76 degrees!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.