News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Mileage Sign Smashed

Started by KillerTux, July 20, 2010, 07:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheStranger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 23, 2010, 11:51:31 AM
Quote from: TheStranger on August 23, 2010, 11:37:27 AM

404 miles from Mountain View/San Jose, right around the time the control city switches from San Jose to Los Angeles.

https://www.aaroads.com/california/images101/us-101_sb_exit_400b_01.jpg

that is side-of-the-road, not overhead.  there's one on 80 that has the distance to Truckee (66 miles; the sign is in Colfax, I believe) but other than that and the South Lake Tahoe sign they tend to be pretty uncommon.  Most of the time the overheads list the mileages to upcoming exits.

Yeah, I pass by that Rancho Cordova/Placerville/South Lake Tahoe overhead distance sign on a near-daily basis along US 50.  (It's about a half mile west of Exit 8A)

I'm not sure if there are many examples statewide of an overhead destinations distance list (as opposed to the exits distance list that is rather common).
Chris Sampang

Michael in Philly

I believe I remember a "Cleveland 12, Toledo 123" sitting on a high pole in the middle of I-90, 12 miles east of downtown Cleveland (obviously).
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

Alex

This did not even occur to me until looking at Interstate 70 eastbound photos, but that mileage sign was taken down when a dump truck knocked down the sign bridge in the opposite direction on August 15, 2009. There is a post on it here.

Michael in Philly

You mean the Columbus-Saint Louis-Denver-Cove Fort sign?  It wasn't overhead, but on the left-hand side of the westbound roadway.  And it was only down for maybe two or three months.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

Alex

Quote from: Michael in Philly on August 25, 2010, 02:45:56 AM
You mean the Columbus-Saint Louis-Denver-Cove Fort sign?  It wasn't overhead, but on the left-hand side of the westbound roadway.  And it was only down for maybe two or three months.

It was directly behind the sign bridge, so when the sign bridge came down, maybe it was damaged?

Michael in Philly

I believe it came down way more recently than last August.  Perhaps it was taken apart in preparation for putting it on an overhead.  I saw something else on the ground in the median on Sunday, just west of US 29.  If my memory is right it was pieces of another overhead assembly.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.