News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Live stormchasing videos

Started by huskeroadgeek, April 02, 2011, 10:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

huskeroadgeek

For those posters on here who are interested in stormchasing(I know at least one person on here has mentioned doing stormchasing), there is a good website called Tornadovideos.net that live streams chase video. If you've seen Storm Chasers on the Discovery Channel, you know who Reed Timmer is-this is his site, but there are many other chasers who live stream on it as well.
I heard about this site last year, and it can be absolutely riveting at times when they are chasing storms. Even when they are in transit between areas(some of them live stream almost all the time), there is even a roadgeek aspect to watching it. That's one thing I like about watching stormchasing videos-for the weather and roadgeek parts of it. The next two days are supposed to be the most active days of the year so far, so it should be a good time for watching.

Chris

Yep, I watched them driving I-80 in Des Moines just a few days ago. Pretty funny.

Maybe roadgeeks should also install such live cameras in their vehicles. Live roadgeeking. I don't think it's a big a market as stormchasing though. :)

JREwing78

The chief issue I have with the live streams at TVN is that there aren't enough cameras, and nobody is manning the camera you're viewing, so the camera is often not pointing towards where the tornado is. Unless the tornado happens to be right in front of the vehicle, you'll never see it.

It's also limited (painfully so sometimes) to the available bandwidth of the device streaming the video out; a lot of the areas they chase in have limited cell phone coverage.

PAHighways

I met Shawn Casey last Saturday at the Carnegie Science Center, where he was with TIV-2 to promote his IMAX movie that is being shown at the Rangos Omnimax Theater.

They were traveling the Turnpike from Philadelphia on March 23, the day an EF-2 tornado crossed it at milepost 69, but missed it as they arrived in Pittsburgh after the storms had pushed through.  I told him for all of the driving around the Plains he did to get that intercept, all he had to do was come to Pennsylvania and get one.

Revive 755

Right now it appears they are driving northward on I-39 in Illinois.

froggie

The SWIFT team was, at the time.  I believe they're based in Indiana.  Some other chasers (including 2 I know personally) were already in Wisconsin.

hobsini2

Quote from: froggie on April 13, 2011, 07:58:36 AM
The SWIFT team was, at the time.  I believe they're based in Indiana.  Some other chasers (including 2 I know personally) were already in Wisconsin.
I was out chasing last Sunday with my buddy Rich.  We were quite successful.  The target area when we left Chicago at 11 am was to get to Tomah by 330pm.  Once there, we just waited for about 20 minutes before the storms started firing SW of La Crosse.  We decided to head to Sparta to intercept.  The storm more or less followed WI 21 back east.  We got on the east side of the Wisconsin River and not even 5 minutes later, found a rain-wrapped tornado near Arkdale (10 E of Necedah).  We didn't see it until we were about 1/8 of a mile west of it.  One house on the west side of town had big trees blown down and shingle damage but nothing else.  I reported the tornado to the La Crosse NWS office at 610pm.  Unfortunately because the tornado was so quick, we did not get a pic of it.  We continued east on 21 and stayed with the storm til nightfall just north of Poy Sippi.  Drove thru the town of West Bloomfield (on WI 49) about 10 minutes after the storm and saw some damage there.  We called the chase done once we got to 41 and drove back home.  I did have to call both my grandmothers for the tornado warnings with the line that went thru around 930pm.  I heard reports of wind damage in Pickett (on WI 44) about 10 mi from my one grandmother in Oshkosh.  All in all was a good day.  Didn't think i would ever chase in Wisconsin in April and certainly not drive through an old home town (Wautoma).  We were literrally down the block from my old house when i was 4.

BTW, this was also the initial test of the new myfi card.  It was well worth it.  Had data the entire time.  Gibson-Ridge was a bit slow on the updating of images but only a minute or two.  i am SO looking forward to this year's official chase in June (June 3-13).  Hoping to get to my 2 favorite steakhouses, Jess n Jim's in KC and Cattleman's in Ft Worth.  MMM.  RIBS!
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Revive 755

Tonight it appears you get your choice of freeways around St. Louis.

golden eagle

Tornadovideos.net has a video of the tornado that went through Clinton, MS a week ago.

hobsini2

i don't recall if i shared some of my storm chase pics but the 2006 chase pics are available online.  Use http://weather.cod.edu/chasing/chasing.2006.html and look under Dan "BWER".  The front pic on the '06 page is my best lightning pic.

There is also a small group pic at the Ft Worth Stockyards.  I am the one in the Cubs jersey.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

berberry

Quote from: golden eagle on April 22, 2011, 11:20:13 PM
Tornadovideos.net has a video of the tornado that went through Clinton, MS a week ago.

Yeah, it's posted and discussed in the 'Roadgeeks and Weatherfans' thread.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.