News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

__________ is/are underrated.

Started by Max Rockatansky, May 03, 2022, 03:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkt

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 03, 2022, 03:43:50 PM
CA 1 north of San Francisco (almost as scenic if not as scenic as Big Sur).

Videodrome (one of the best body horror movies ever, but nobody ever talks about it)

Orange Crush (the High Fructose Corn Syrup version of what Fanta should be)

The Mustang II (it sold well for a reason)

Peeing on the side of the road (total and annoyance saver over finding a public restroom in rural areas).

Hey, don't be spreading the word about Highway 1!  It's already crowded enough in the summer!

kphoger

Quote from: JoePCool14 on May 04, 2022, 01:57:39 PM

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 04, 2022, 12:35:53 PM
Put it this way, speaking for myself I think it would have altered my life in a less than ideal way.  I wouldn't have been able to clinch the National Parks in the lower 48 states and travel anywhere to the extent I have if say I had kids around say 25.  To me (this is a subjective measure) it was way more important to do things like that earlier in my life when I would almost certainly be actually be physically well enough to enjoy them.  I guess that you could say I couldn't sacrifice for a person who was hypothetical over myself.  Better in my view to wait until there wasn't much of a sacrifice or just not have kids at all.

Then it just comes down to personal opinion which is understandable.

I enjoy driving and clinching routes or non-roadgeek hobbies like video-game collecting, but it's not always particularly satisfying. The idea of raising kids sounds more fulfilling to me, and then I also might get the chance to share or pass-down those interests.

Exactly.  Same here.  I was perfectly happy to be "tied down", so to speak.

Back in my single days, I once left work on Frdiay and took a Greyhound bus from Chicago (Cumberland Ave) up to Menominee, Michigan.  The bus got in around midnight, and I slept the night (barely at all, really) at a picnic table under a municipal park pavilion.  The next morning, I walked out to M-35 and started hitchhiking east.  Along the way, I went skinny dipping in Lake Michigan at Manistique, took a nap outside a church in Houghton Lake, and played with puppies in the back seat of someone's car.  That night, I pitched my tent behind an abandoned boxcar on a railroad stub in Paw Paw, washed up in a gas station bathroom the next morning, and hitchhiked the rest of the way back to Chicago.  All because I had nothing to do that weekend and I felt like seeing Michigan.

Back before my wife and I had kids, we would sometimes get in the car and just drive to nowhere in particular, making a right or left turn wherever we felt like it, for a few hours, just for no good reason.  Or we'd go up to a state park on the spur of the moment and camp the night there.

But not anymore.  Now, with kids, we're more tied down to a house and a budget and a predictable schedule.  And do you know what?  I'm no less happy now than I was back then.  Probably more so, in fact.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

^^^

At minimum when I was getting involved with my now wife I did the right thing and make it clear that I have zero intention to cease my aimless travel.  She's been pretty accepting that I might go off and drive some dangerous mountain road to engage in a remote hike or find some sort of abandoned something a couple times a month.  I don't know how that kind of thing just continues unabated (it probably doesn't) when you have kids and have to manage their lives on top of your own.

At least from the examples you show with your own kids it seems that those kinds of hobby activities can continue, with a degree of planning.

Quote from: kkt on May 04, 2022, 02:06:38 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 03, 2022, 03:43:50 PM
CA 1 north of San Francisco (almost as scenic if not as scenic as Big Sur).

Videodrome (one of the best body horror movies ever, but nobody ever talks about it)

Orange Crush (the High Fructose Corn Syrup version of what Fanta should be)

The Mustang II (it sold well for a reason)

Peeing on the side of the road (total and annoyance saver over finding a public restroom in rural areas).

Hey, don't be spreading the word about Highway 1!  It's already crowded enough in the summer!

Bad time to say that I might do a historic page on CA 1 on Gribblenation when I get the last couple US 99/California blogs done?

JoePCool14

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on May 04, 2022, 02:04:11 PM
Your favorite football team having a bye so you don't feel like your Saturday/Sunday is partially taken up, no matter how much you love football.

I feel that way about Formula 1 race weekends. I enjoy them, but if I'm dedicated and watch all three practice sessions, qualifying, the race, and a lot of other pre/post-shows, it takes up over 6 hours. Sometimes I have that time to spare. Sometimes I don't.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

J N Winkler

Quote from: JoePCool14 on May 04, 2022, 12:03:12 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 04, 2022, 10:55:36 AMBut that's just the thing, having children would be an expense most people would be wise to consider beforehand.  Really until recently I wouldn't have thought that I could have afforded a child and continued to live my accustomed financially comfortable life.  That's finally changed, hence the reason my wife and I are trying for less pragmatic reasons.  Problem is now that we are both about 40, so all bets are off.  Really I'm okay either way if it does/doesn't happen.

I agree. Financial situations absolutely impact the ability to have children, there's no question about it. But considering ease of having children decreases over time from a biological perspective, it's better to try sooner, and adjust to the changes as needed. If it means sacrificing more for the child instead of comfortably spending it on myself, I'd like to say I would choose the former.

I'm only 21, unmarried and childless. So I know I've got a life to live ahead of me which will definitely affect my opinions on that over time.

I have sympathies on both sides of this issue.  A few things to consider:

*  Fertility is not guaranteed for anyone, at any age.  I have a shirttail relative who tried multiple rounds of IVF in her late thirties, only to discover she has a medical condition that prevents an embryo from implanting in the uterus.  She and her husband ended up adopting two babies from overseas, one from Kazakhstan and the other from Russia.

*  Good relationships are as much founded on consciously building emotional intimacy as they are on choosing a compatible mate.  This is one reason (though perhaps not the main reason) app-based dating is considered such a disaster--the endless search for best fit ends up blocking relationship formation.

*  Being single has its disadvantages, but beats being in a bad marriage hands down.  When economists have used hedonic pricing methods to come up with dollars-and-cents estimates on the respective values of a good marriage, singledom, and a bad marriage, they have come up with annual income estimates of $100,000, zero, and the negative five figures.

*  It takes a certain measure of maturity and self-knowledge to assume the responsibility of a lifelong committed relationship with someone else.  Some people have this by their early twenties; others reach it later in life; some never attain it.

*  If everyone with resources approaches marriage and childbearing with a focus on the short-run financial penalties, the result is a society where most of the children are born to those who don't, often for factors related to low income.  At the societal level, that is bad for economic mobility, inequality of income and wealth, and intergenerational wealth accumulation.  This is part of the reason many European countries grappling with the demographic transition have mandated paternity leave, subsidized childcare, and baby bonuses, as well as making family planning services available without restriction.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Max Rockatansky

Another consideration I don't know if I articulated above is the desire to have children or not.  To me that was never really something that I've considered personal "manifest destiny."   Even now I'm more or less take it or leave regarding having children.  If we have one child (emphasis we only want one) that's great, but it wouldn't be the end of the world (for me and my wife) if we didn't. 

Growing up I faced a lot of family borne pressure to carry on my last name from my Dad and Grandpa.  If anything that pressure kind of soured the prospect of having children, because it was something they wanted for themselves from me and not really so much something they wanted for me.  My wife experienced similar pressures growing up in a Hispanic household, especially from her Grand Mother.  I'm to understand from my wife that not having children early in adulthood is often heavily frowned upon in her family. 

Then again, my wife's family actively tried to discourage her from college and home ownership due to gender roles.  I don't think it was malicious on their end given how she has more or less become the de facto matriarchal figure now for her family. 

snowc

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 04, 2022, 02:50:14 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 04, 2022, 10:55:36 AMBut that's just the thing, having children would be an expense most people would be wise to consider beforehand.  Really until recently I wouldn't have thought that I could have afforded a child and continued to live my accustomed financially comfortable life.  That's finally changed, hence the reason my wife and I are trying for less pragmatic reasons.  Problem is now that we are both about 40, so all bets are off.  Really I'm okay either way if it does/doesn't happen.

I agree. Financial situations absolutely impact the ability to have children, there's no question about it. But considering ease of having children decreases over time from a biological perspective, it's better to try sooner, and adjust to the changes as needed. If it means sacrificing more for the child instead of comfortably spending it on myself, I'd like to say I would choose the former.

I'm only 21, unmarried and childless. So I know I've got a life to live ahead of me which will definitely affect my opinions on that over time.

*  Fertility is not guaranteed for anyone, at any age.  I have a shirttail relative who tried multiple rounds of IVF in her late thirties, only to discover she has a medical condition that prevents an embryo from implanting in the uterus.  She and her husband ended up adopting two babies from overseas, one from Kazakhstan and the other from Russia.

*  Good relationships are as much founded on consciously building emotional intimacy as they are on choosing a compatible mate.  This is one reason (though perhaps not the main reason) app-based dating is considered such a disaster--the endless search for best fit ends up blocking relationship formation.

*  Being single has its disadvantages, but beats being in a bad marriage hands down.  When economists have used hedonic pricing methods to come up with dollars-and-cents estimates on the respective values of a good marriage, singledom, and a bad marriage, they have come up with annual income estimates of $100,000, zero, and the negative five figures.

*  It takes a certain measure of maturity and self-knowledge to assume the responsibility of a lifelong committed relationship with someone else.  Some people have this by their early twenties; others reach it later in life; some never attain it.

*  If everyone with resources approaches marriage and childbearing with a focus on the short-run financial penalties, the result is a society where most of the children are born to those who don't, often for factors related to low income.  At the societal level, that is bad for economic mobility, inequality of income and wealth, and intergenerational wealth accumulation.  This is part of the reason many European countries grappling with the demographic transition have mandated paternity leave, subsidized childcare, and baby bonuses, as well as making family planning services available without restriction.
My dentist is pregnant and had MULTIPLE rounds of IVF for the past 2 years. She eventually got pregnant in December, and now she has a big stomach (shes at 36 weeks today, for people who dont know)
I have a disorder in which I don't like to see people who have changed, such as pregnant people.
Also, I have a semi girlfriend who lives in Raleigh, and now goes to college at Elon.
Moreover, I have tried SEVERAL dating apps, only to be grounded by my mother and father (due to the Simpsons, where Millhouse decides to have a "relationship" with a girl. ewww)

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 04, 2022, 02:59:16 PM
My wife experienced similar pressures growing up in a Hispanic household, especially from her Grand Mother.  I'm to understand from my wife that not having children early in adulthood is often heavily frowned upon in her family. 

Then again, my wife's family actively tried to discourage her from college and home ownership due to gender roles.  I don't think it was malicious on their end given how she has more or less become the de facto matriarchal figure now for her family. 

That's been my experience in Mexico too.  A lot of girls drop out of school before graduation in order to start a family.  Whether that involves getting married and settling down or a series of drunken one-night stands is more, ummm... variable.  And if a young lady hasn't started a family by the time she's twenty years old or so, then the rest of family starts to panic.

Growing up I faced a lot of family borne pressure to carry on my last name from my Dad and Grandpa.

Our best friend is from a family with two sons, and we're friends with both couples.  Until this last year, they had six daughters and zero sons between the two couples.  Then a boy came this last year.  I'm not saying there was any pressure, but I'm sure the "end of the family name" must have crossed everyone's mind at some point.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

Naturally waking up 15-30 minutes earlier than your alarm.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on May 04, 2022, 03:12:25 PM
My wife experienced similar pressures growing up in a Hispanic household, especially from her Grand Mother.  I'm to understand from my wife that not having children early in adulthood is often heavily frowned upon in her family. 

That's been my experience in Mexico too.  A lot of girls drop out of school before graduation in order to start a family.  Whether that involves getting married and settling down or a series of drunken one-night stands is more, ummm... variable.  And if a young lady hasn't started a family by the time she's twenty years old or so, then the rest of family starts to panic.

Growing up I faced a lot of family borne pressure to carry on my last name from my Dad and Grandpa.

Our best friend is from a family with two sons, and we're friends with both couples.  Until this last year, they had six daughters and zero sons between the two couples.  Then a boy came this last year.  I'm not saying there was any pressure, but I'm sure the "end of the family name" must have crossed everyone's mind at some point.

Regarding my wife, a lot of families tended to operate in Firebaugh and the California farm towns like they did in Mexico.  Now that some of her younger female cousins are hitting adulthood they are also opting to not immediately start families either.  One got a bunch of shit about enlisting in the Air Force and another became the family accountant post college. 

Regarding my own family, my sister has a son but my brother who is 47 has two daughters.  They both have independently asked me if I was concerned the family name was going to die out if I didn't have kids.  My answer of "no"  amused my sister but horrified my brother.  My brother is very much like my father in a great many ways, his response was not unexpected.

kphoger

Quote from: formulanone on May 04, 2022, 03:43:58 PM

That's overrated, in my opinion.  Invariably, I unsuccessfully try to go back to sleep, tossing and turning, until I end up with a tension headache later that day.
Male pronouns, please.

Rothman

Quote from: snowc on May 04, 2022, 03:03:00 PM

My dentist is pregnant and had MULTIPLE rounds of IVF for the past 2 years. She eventually got pregnant in December, and now she has a big stomach (shes at 36 weeks today, for people who dont know)
I have a disorder in which I don't like to see people who have changed, such as pregnant people.
Also, I have a semi girlfriend who lives in Raleigh, and now goes to college at Elon.
Moreover, I have tried SEVERAL dating apps, only to be grounded by my mother and father (due to the Simpsons, where Millhouse decides to have a "relationship" with a girl. ewww)
I'm beginning to think you're an AI bot.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JoePCool14

It's funny hearing all this talk about keeping the family name alive. Part of why I feel the way I do about children is because (1) I'm an only child, so it's me or no one, and (2) my extended family overall is small, and while that can be nice sometimes, I also would prefer to have more people around for a change. For holiday gatherings and celebrations, but also just daily home life. There's other reasons too, but those are the most relevant here.

Sometimes it's nice. Other times, it feels like I'm leaving money on the table. It sure beats waking up late.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on May 04, 2022, 04:12:57 PM

Given Raleigh is involved I was tempted to ask if the GF is Mary Hannah.

abefroman329

I've tuned him out and it's working quite well so far.

Max Rockatansky

You guys mean to say that you weren't sitting at the edge your seat about a house destroyed by a siding issue?

Rothman

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 04, 2022, 04:20:16 PM

I've tuned him out and it's working quite well so far.

Eh, it's more fun to tune in.  The diction can be amazingly random.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ethanhopkin14

What the hell did I just read?

kphoger

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on May 04, 2022, 04:25:48 PM

You just read that |snowc| thinks babies grow inside one's stomach.
Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

^^^

Maybe she's just hiding Cinnabons under her work shirt?

I guess you weren't in the know that snowc's dentist was 36 weeks pregnant today from multiple IVF treatments over the past two years. :colorful:

7/8

Quote from: kphoger on May 04, 2022, 04:31:24 PM

You just read that |snowc| thinks babies grow inside one's stomach.

Pee is stored in the balls.

Max Rockatansky

So, would the Santa Clause qualify as a horror movie based off what snowc said?  When you think about it the concept the Santa Clause is pretty horrific.  Tim Allen unknowingly signs a contract with stipulations that he become a morbidly obese immortal man who must deliver presents to the entire world.  Rather than his loved ones rally to help, Tim Allen is deemed insane and they actively try to take his son from him.  No matter how much Tim Allen fights against the horrific changes, he is doomed to become Santa...forever...

Until the Escape Clause and time travel...

abefroman329

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 04, 2022, 04:54:57 PM
So, would the Santa Clause qualify as a horror movie based off what snowc said?  When you think about it the concept the Santa Clause is pretty horrific.  Tim Allen unknowingly signs a contract with stipulations that he become a morbidly obese immortal man who must deliver presents to the entire world.  No matter how much Tim Allen fights against the horrific changes to his body, he is doomed to become Santa...forever...

Until the Escape Clause and time travel...
One would think the more obvious movie to ask that question about would be Junior

abefroman329

Dunno, but I read it and now I smell burnt toast.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on May 04, 2022, 03:54:45 PM

That's overrated, in my opinion.  Invariably, I unsuccessfully try to go back to sleep, tossing and turning, until I end up with a tension headache later that day.

See, I've just learned to stop trying to go back to sleep over a decade ago, and just enjoy a few more minutes to take care of stuff, or ease into my mornings (posting on AARoads, frigzample). I don't really get any feeling of real rest from trying to tack on 5-30 minutes (some back-up on this). I'm almost always more energized to start the average work day naturally, than if jolted up by an alarm.

So to me...it's underrated, as society seems to push the idea of "sleeping in" or hitting snooze as something useful, and that somehow "losing" 15 minutes of sleep that your body didn't even need is some sort of waste.

Now getting a 15-20 minute mid-day nap, that's different. It usually recharges my batteries and clears the mind's cache, if you will.

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 04, 2022, 04:57:47 PM

Dunno, but I read it and now I smell burnt toast.

That was a fuse popping.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.