narrow vs. wide route markers

Started by Mergingtraffic, December 21, 2009, 10:37:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjk374

Louisiana squeezes 4 digits on our shield.  The closest "3-digit shield" we have are used on the interstate off ramps and reassurance signs at the interstate interchanges. They put the UGH in UGLY!
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

agentsteel53

Quote from: cjk374 on December 22, 2009, 05:10:17 PM
Louisiana squeezes 4 digits on our shield. 

five, on occasion, and a hyphen!

I have seen five where none of the digits is a "1".
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

cjk374

^^Do u have any pics of the interstate ramp state shields I was refering to? Anybody?

agentsteel53

just this one on the shield gallery:

jake@aaroads.com

cjk374

^^My bad.  I was refering to reassurance signs you may see as soon as you turn off an exit ramp, or sometimes they will be under the control city directional sign toward the end of the exit ramps.

ctsignguy

The problem with the wide markers is that some State route shapes lend themselves better to wide sign than squares  (Tennessee, South Dakota).....where as a wide State looks....awful when it should be on a square (Louisiana, Ohio, Alabama)

Some other State route shapes look just as good wide as narrow....Pennsylvania's keystone

And of course, those horrid North Dakota 3 and 4-digit WIIIIIDE Indian heads...they look like SOMEONE was taking some serious liquid nutrition during lunch!
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

xonhulu

Quote from: ctsignguy on December 23, 2009, 09:03:13 PM
The problem with the wide markers is that some State route shapes lend themselves better to wide sign than squares  (Tennessee, South Dakota).....where as a wide State looks....awful when it should be on a square (Louisiana, Ohio, Alabama)

Some other State route shapes look just as good wide as narrow....Pennsylvania's keystone

And of course, those horrid North Dakota 3 and 4-digit WIIIIIDE Indian heads...they look like SOMEONE was taking some serious liquid nutrition during lunch!

I've often wondered what the 3-digit Washington state shield would look like...

ctsignguy

Quote from: xonhulu on December 23, 2009, 09:29:59 PM

....like George needs to hit the Subway for one of Jared's low-cal specials?
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

myosh_tino

Quote from: xonhulu on December 23, 2009, 09:29:59 PM

All of Washington's state shields are the same size.  The 3-digit shield uses the Series C font while 1 and 2 digit shields use Series D.

WA-500:

WA-14:
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Riverside Frwy

^

But that's understandable.Imagine how weird and stupid a wide-shape of George Washington's head would look. :eyebrow:

agentsteel53

Quote from: Riverside Frwy on December 24, 2009, 02:17:04 AM

But that's understandable.Imagine how weird and stupid a wide-shape of George Washington's head would look. :eyebrow:

probably no weirder than a three-digit North Dakota!  :ded:

jake@aaroads.com

xonhulu

Quote from: myosh_tino on December 24, 2009, 02:00:50 AM
All of Washington's state shields are the same size.  The 3-digit shield uses the Series C font while 1 and 2 digit shields use Series D.

But if Washington decided to make a wider shield instead, would they really elongate George's head?  They respectfully name a state after our first President, then honor him by making him look like E.T. on their highway shields?

papaT10932

I always thought that 3 digit NY shields on BGS's look a lot like Flying Saucers!  :-D

Duke87

Quote from: papaT10932 on January 18, 2010, 08:39:33 PM
I always thought that 3 digit NY shields on BGS's look a lot like Flying Saucers!  :-D

Yeah, this is kinda weird looking:

This is better:
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: mightyace on December 21, 2009, 07:53:44 PM
Due to the width of the state outline at the bottom of the shield, all TN primary state highways are three digits wide.

There aren't many single digit examples as these numbers are mainly used for hidden multiplexes from US routes.  However, TN 7 does go out on its own north and west of Columbia.

TN 96

and the iconic TN 840

The secondary routes (which use the old state route shape are different for 2d and 3d)

TN secondary 46

TN secondary 246

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace/

EDIT:
Added TN 7 image and rearrange SRs in 1 2 3 digit order.

So TN 7 no longer runs along North James Campbell Bvld and thence to Sante Fe Pike.  It now runs along US 31/Bus US 412 to US 43/US 412 to the Sante Fe Pike exit then on it's own alignment.

SR 840 is now I-840.

renegade

^^ 11-year-old reply.  Holy necropost, Batman!   :clap:
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

ozarkman417

LilianaUwU

And I thought I was a good necromancer.   :pan:

On the topic, I usually prefer 2-digit shields, but I'm fine with 3-digit shields when they're well done.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.