News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Farthest distance depicted on Interchange Sequence Signs?

Started by KCRoadFan, June 10, 2020, 12:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 15, 2020, 01:47:02 PM
14 miles to FL-21 outside of Jacksonville, FL on FL-23 South.

I think that might be the longest yet for legitimate sequence sign contenders.

webny99

While doing a Google Search for something semi-related to this topic, I found a previous thread which, surprisingly enough, has not been linked to yet! So, here it is, just for interest's sake:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=6416.0

Revive 755

roadfro

Apologies for late replies. Just saw this thread.

Quote from: gonealookin on June 10, 2020, 01:11:51 AM
I-580 in south Reno.  1/4, 9 and 20.  Mt. Rose Highway (1/4) and Old US 395 (9) are the next two exits, but there are two more exits in Washoe Valley before you get to Carson City.  I think the Bellevue Road exit, the next exit after Old US 395, is approximately 13 miles from there. 

Also, for a real oddball on I-580, try this one.  26, 112 and 217.  I know it's not exactly what you're looking for but it's double-sided, listing the Carson City exits in the southbound direction, and I've always thought that was a strange place for that particular sign.

These were the first things that came to mind for me in the thread, even though they are somewhat outside the scope of the thread topic.

And I agree with you on the second sign...I've always thought both the placement and list of destinations on that sign was odd. They couldn't have listed some smaller local destination, like Washoe City or Jct SR 431 or Jct I-80 or Stead, to put Susanville on the last line? (I mean, who's really going to Alturas from Carson City?) An interchange sequence sign would have been better, with a post-interchange mileage sign listing the distance to Reno and Susanville after the Eastlake Blvd interchange.

Quote from: webny99 on June 12, 2020, 10:33:06 PM
These can't compete with some of the other examples, but here's 5-1/2 miles to N Washington St. near Grand Forks, ND, and 3-1/2 miles to CR 20 near Fargo. North Dakota has an interesting practice of adding the exit numbers to the sign. This is helpful for conveying additional information, but appears a bit cluttered, and also seems redundant since the distances already tell you how far apart the exits are.

Having the interchange number to the left of the exit name is an option allowed in the MUTCD. I've not seen it implemented until seeing these examples. Not sure that I like it... Perhaps if the numbers were smaller (say, the size of a fraction number for comparable text height), or if there was some sort of separator between exit number and destination...?
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

KCRoadFan

hobsini2

Illinois/Chicago generally doesn't do the sequence exit signs. But they will, especially on the Tollways, put up the next 1 or 2 exits with the current exit like this:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.2335868,-88.8186047,3a,75y,75.49h,97.76t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1spsDLGY1yO1M5aeR4TSmORQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

US 20 is 17 miles.
But, that was taken before the interchange with Route 23 opened in December. That would make Route 23 be 13 miles away instead.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

jdbx

Quote from: roadfro on July 04, 2020, 06:11:43 PM
Apologies for late replies. Just saw this thread.

Quote from: webny99 on June 12, 2020, 10:33:06 PM
These can't compete with some of the other examples, but here's 5-1/2 miles to N Washington St. near Grand Forks, ND, and 3-1/2 miles to CR 20 near Fargo. North Dakota has an interesting practice of adding the exit numbers to the sign. This is helpful for conveying additional information, but appears a bit cluttered, and also seems redundant since the distances already tell you how far apart the exits are.

Having the interchange number to the left of the exit name is an option allowed in the MUTCD. I've not seen it implemented until seeing these examples. Not sure that I like it... Perhaps if the numbers were smaller (say, the size of a fraction number for comparable text height), or if there was some sort of separator between exit number and destination...?

I agree, they look awkward and kind of out-of-context.  I think a heading above the column of exit numbers that said "EXIT" would make the meaning of the numbers much clearer.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.