Longest Distance On An Exit Mileage Sign?

Started by Bigmikelakers, April 01, 2012, 04:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigmikelakers

This is probably the largest I seen so far looking over all the highway photos I've taken.

Interstate 40 Needles Freeway Eastbound and US 95 Southbound In Needles by bigmikelakers, on Flickr

hobsini2

I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Jim

From the NY Thruway/I-87 North.

I think that's posted here before the NY 17 exit to avoid driver confusion between "NY 17" and "Exit 17".
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Brandon

Longest known one in Illinois for the next exit:

I-88 westbound at Rochelle.  ISTHA doesn't use "traditional" mileage signs.  IDOT doesn't use them around Chicagoland, but does use them around Peoria.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hbelkins

There's something similar on I-24 westbound for "Vienna-Golconda" but I don't remember the mileage posted on that sign.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JustDrive

101 North at the East Dunne Avenue bridge in Morgan Hill, CA has an advance exit sign for CA 85, 10.5 miles away.

CentralCAroadgeek

Quote from: JustDrive on April 02, 2012, 01:59:12 AM
101 North at the East Dunne Avenue bridge in Morgan Hill, CA has an advance exit sign for CA 85, 10.5 miles away.
I was going to mention this as well. I have a picture of it, but it's on the laptop. I'll try to get it up. On SB 101, there's a sign saying that Cochrane Rd is 8-something miles away. This is located just south of 85.

J N Winkler

The type of sign the OP references is called an interchange sequence sign.  I think the one that Hobsini posted (in Madison, Wisconsin) is the only one so far cited in this thread that beats BigMikeLakers' Needles example.  Other signs cited or described have longer distances but are not interchange sequence signs.  In MUTCD terminology, the NYSTA sign saying "17 MILES AHEAD" is a variation on a NEXT EXIT plaque ("next exit" is implied in this case).

The main difference between an interchange sequence sign and a route confirmation sign, which has an identical tabular format, is that interchange sequence signs give the distances to the next few exits in sequence, while route confirmation signs give distances to places that do not necessarily correspond to specific exits, let alone ones listed in sequence. 
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

agentsteel53

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 02, 2012, 04:17:16 PM
The main difference between an interchange sequence sign and a route confirmation sign, which has an identical tabular format, is that interchange sequence signs give the distances to the next few exits in sequence, while route confirmation signs give distances to places that do not necessarily correspond to specific exits, let alone ones listed in sequence. 

sometimes California combines the two.  I cannot think of an example offhand, though.

there is a sign in Albuquerque on I-25 northbound whose middle "exit" was patched to "Denver 460" - quite odd to see between the mileages for two local exits!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

J N Winkler

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 02, 2012, 04:21:21 PMthere is a sign in Albuquerque on I-25 northbound whose middle "exit" was patched to "Denver 460" - quite odd to see between the mileages for two local exits!

With NMDOT all bets are off.  The exit direction sign off I-25 for Tramway (NM 582?) was a diagrammatic the last time I visited, which violated a longstanding MUTCD Standard statement.  I wouldn't put it past them to sign the next exit 1/4 mile away and, on the next line, give the distance to Yellowknife.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

CentralCAroadgeek

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on April 02, 2012, 01:42:22 PM
On SB 101, there's a sign saying that Cochrane Rd is 8-something miles away. This is located just south of 85.

Here's the picture:

Brandon

A rare one from Illinois, along I-57 in Kankakee.  Note that it lists route numbers and exit numbers.

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Mapmikey

DTComposer

Here's the US-101 sign mentioned above, listing 10 1/2 miles to CA-85:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=95037&ll=37.131342,-121.633233&spn=0.003617,0.004898&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=Morgan+Hill,+California+95037&gl=us&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=37.131259,-121.633183&panoid=iPmOMu6eoNHsymmFQxxBCA&cbp=12,333.72,,0,7.98

Since the installation of this sign, the Bailey Avenue interchange has been added (between Coyote Creek Golf Drive and CA-85), so this may go away via greenout or replacement.

tdindy88

Quote from: hbelkins on April 01, 2012, 09:11:01 PM
There's something similar on I-24 westbound for "Vienna-Golconda" but I don't remember the mileage posted on that sign.

21 miles, I'm looking at a picture of it right now, but I've never been good on posting pictures.

myosh_tino

Quote from: DTComposer on April 03, 2012, 10:34:45 AM
Here's the US-101 sign mentioned above, listing 10 1/2 miles to CA-85:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=95037&ll=37.131342,-121.633233&spn=0.003617,0.004898&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=Morgan+Hill,+California+95037&gl=us&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=37.131259,-121.633183&panoid=iPmOMu6eoNHsymmFQxxBCA&cbp=12,333.72,,0,7.98

Since the installation of this sign, the Bailey Avenue interchange has been added (between Coyote Creek Golf Drive and CA-85), so this may go away via greenout or replacement.

I believe that sign is still there with CA-85 still being shown 10.5 miles away.  It was probably too far away and outside of the scope of the Bailey Road interchange project to get replaced.  I believe there is an interchange sequence sign just before the Coyote Creek Golf Drive exit that got replaced with a new one showing the Bailey Road exit.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

okroads

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 02, 2012, 04:21:21 PM
Quote from: Snozzberries on April 02, 2012, 04:17:16 PM

sometimes California combines the two.  I cannot think of an example offhand, though.

there is a sign in Albuquerque on I-25 northbound whose middle "exit" was patched to "Denver 460" - quite odd to see between the mileages for two local exits!

Here's a Denver - 439 sign in Albuquerque on I-25:

kphoger

Yeesh, even those aren't in sequence...... At a glance, a driver would see Denver at the top, and assume that that US-550 was the next exit–which, of course, is obviously not true since another exit is visible immediately down the road.

:clap: Congratulations, New Mexico!  :clap:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

agentsteel53

Quote from: okroads on April 03, 2012, 05:01:25 PM

Here's a Denver - 439 sign in Albuquerque on I-25:

I think that is the one I had remembered - I had just forgotten the details.  

jake@aaroads.com

PHLBOS

Quote from: okroads on April 03, 2012, 05:01:25 PMHere's a Denver - 439 sign in Albuquerque on I-25:

Interesting how US 550 is represented in BOTH text and a shield; it's usually one or the other.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

hobsini2

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 03, 2012, 05:44:19 PM
Quote from: okroads on April 03, 2012, 05:01:25 PMHere's a Denver - 439 sign in Albuquerque on I-25:

Interesting how US 550 is represented in BOTH text and a shield; it's usually one or the other.
It was done like that for people who are idiots. Although seriously it maybe that way for people from Mexico to distinguish it from the Mexican Federal Highways that are kinda similar.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

kphoger

Quote from: hobsini2 on April 03, 2012, 06:20:09 PM
Although seriously it maybe that way for people from Mexico to distinguish it from the Mexican Federal Highways that are kinda similar.

By 'seriously' you mean 'jokingly', right?  México is more than 250 miles away, in the other direction.  Mexican motorists generally have a hard time accidentally ending up on the north side of the border.  Oh yeah, and there is no Mexican federal highway numbered 550–maybe a random minor state road in the interior, maybe not.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: kphoger on April 03, 2012, 06:41:20 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on April 03, 2012, 06:20:09 PM
Although seriously it maybe that way for people from Mexico to distinguish it from the Mexican Federal Highways that are kinda similar.

By 'seriously' you mean 'jokingly', right?  México is more than 250 miles away, in the other direction.  Mexican motorists generally have a hard time accidentally ending up on the north side of the border.  Oh yeah, and there is no Mexican federal highway numbered 550–maybe a random minor state road in the interior, maybe not.
The sign on the signal mast arm at the top of the U.S. 550 offramp also says "U.S. 550 [shield for U.S. 550]".

I go with Jonathan's NMDOT sign design incompetence theory on the quasi-interchange sequence sign with Denver at the top. You would think that, being featured in this way, Denver continues to be a significant destination listed on I-25; but after this sign you don't encounter a Colorado destination on a distance sign until just north of Wagon Mound where Pueblo shows up for the first time (164 miles). I think there may be one more instance of distance to Denver on I-25 in New Mexico, somewhere close to Raton.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

agentsteel53

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on April 03, 2012, 06:54:57 PM

I go with Jonathan's NMDOT sign design incompetence theory on the quasi-interchange sequence sign with Denver at the top. You would think that, being featured in this way, Denver continues to be a significant destination listed on I-25; but after this sign you don't encounter a Colorado destination on a distance sign until just north of Wagon Mound where Pueblo shows up for the first time (164 miles). I think there may be one more instance of distance to Denver on I-25 in New Mexico, somewhere close to Raton.

I think it's just after Raton - mileage to Trinidad and Denver.  But, as evidenced by my previous posts in this thread, my memory ain't perfect.  shows how much attention I pay, seeing as I was there this Feb 11th!

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.