Future Interstate 587 (Zebulon-Greenville)

Started by Interstate 69 Fan, November 15, 2016, 07:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

The Ghostbuster

bob7374

Greenville newspaper article regarding signing of I-587 which indicates a slow timeline for sign updates due to 'supply change issues' for aluminum signs. It also quotes an NCDOT official saying "about 900 signs will be changed out intermittently at a cost of about $9 million." Does that number seem reasonable? 37 miles of 1/2 mile markers in each direction yields only about 150 signs and there are less than 20 exits needing new reassurance and trailblazer markers along with exit number changes between I-95 and Greenville. Perhaps this includes US 264 sign changes as well:
https://www.reflector.com/news/local/community-celebrates-signage-for-interstate-587/article_6ba29ba2-29cd-51dd-a31d-ecfff55cbf02.html

RoadPelican

$10,000 a sign seems about right. I know they are expensive. What grinds my gears is all these future I-74 signs that have been along the Wilmington to Charlotte corridor for 15-20 years now and by the time NCDOT gets the whole corridor upgraded, probably 2040, maybe 2035, but it will be time to replace those I-74 signs just as the I-74 goes from future to reality.

I think some of that money could go to get some lights along various rural BUT busy interchanges and replace some of these ugly chicken wire traffic lights with mast arms.

amroad17

Quote from: Mapmikey on June 22, 2022, 12:40:55 PM
I-587 is now posted:

https://www.witn.com/2022/06/22/section-roadway-becomes-interstate-new-signs-be-unveiled/

Thanks to Tracy Snead for contacting me with this information...
This should please tolbs17.

Also, it is great that NCDOT decided to post I-587 as East-West.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

ahj2000

So should this be updated to remove the future from the thread title?

MATraveler128

Quote from: ahj2000 on June 28, 2022, 10:30:12 AM
So should this be updated to remove the future from the thread title?

It's still a future Interstate from Zebulon to Wilson.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/FT843kuYLVTp6MBi8
Another Breezewood between interstates now as the lack of connection to I-795 south requires a use of US 301 South.

I would like to know now if the exit numbers will remain until NCDOT converts the rest of US 264 to standards, or not?

Sheryl Crowe

LM117

Quote from: roadman65 on June 28, 2022, 02:45:01 PM
https://goo.gl/maps/FT843kuYLVTp6MBi8
Another Breezewood between interstates now as the lack of connection to I-795 south requires a use of US 301 South.

Still not as bad as Breezewood in the sense that you don't have to use a surface route in order to remain on the same interstate, and US-301 doesn't have as much traffic as US-30 in Breezewood.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

sprjus4

^ I don't understand the Breezewood reference every time there is a gap between connecting from one interstate to another. It's not the same situation.

I-70 at Breezewood is being forced to exit onto surface roads to remain on the same interstate.

In this case, I-587 and I-795 are continuous highways. You only exit when transferring from I-795 North to I-587 East and vice versa.

nerdom

And this tiny stretch of 301 hardly resembles the fast food sprawl menagerie that is ironically called Breezewood. A flyover from 587E to 795S would see even less traffic than the absurd 85S to 40E flyover.

Edit: Yeah. What LM117 said.

roadman65

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 28, 2022, 05:20:00 PM
^ I don't understand the Breezewood reference every time there is a gap between connecting from one interstate to another. It's not the same situation.

I-70 at Breezewood is being forced to exit onto surface roads to remain on the same interstate.

In this case, I-587 and I-795 are continuous highways. You only exit when transferring from I-795 North to I-587 East and vice versa.

I'm talking Roadgeek terminology, not comparison.  Any surface roadway between two freeways  instead of direct connection in general is a Breezewood no matter what route number or how many fast foods it has or doesn't have.

Sheryl Crowe

nerdom

587 west Wilson signed on 2 BGS's approaching from the south on Greenville Bypass. Remains 264 on overheads once you arrive at ramps. Nice surprise today.

architect77

Quote from: RoadPelican on June 26, 2022, 09:24:31 PM
$10,000 a sign seems about right. I know they are expensive. What grinds my gears is all these future I-74 signs that have been along the Wilmington to Charlotte corridor for 15-20 years now and by the time NCDOT gets the whole corridor upgraded, probably 2040, maybe 2035, but it will be time to replace those I-74 signs just as the I-74 goes from future to reality.

I think some of that money could go to get some lights along various rural BUT busy interchanges and replace some of these ugly chicken wire traffic lights with mast arms.

All I know is that those wineries that have the white signs with grapes that are built to official sign standards cost $55,000. I read that in NCDOT documents several years ago.

I know they must have engineering drawings with details of the footings, etc. and sight lines/ distances must be approved by an engineer and then the fabrication costs.

i don't know if that included one sign in each direction or if it was per sign.

The "FUTURE I-74" signs are for converying that info now. Yes, it's a shame that 20 years will pass before it's a reality,  but they have to spread funds across the whole state with a thin, skim coat, lol.

I hate the wood sign posts they've implemented in the last few years. I hope that's a temporary practice.

California uses wood posts extensively for ground-mounted signs but I still don't like 'em.

bob7374

Quote from: nerdom on July 01, 2022, 11:53:02 PM
587 west Wilson signed on 2 BGS's approaching from the south on Greenville Bypass. Remains 264 on overheads once you arrive at ramps. Nice surprise today.
I suspected as such. Don't think it's a coincidence that the traffic camera at the now I-587/NC 11 Bypass interchange has been turned away for overlooking the overhead signs at the NC 11 Bypass NB ramps ever since the announcement that I-587 was being signed. I suspect the overheads, as well as exit renumbering, are part of another contract that is to be let over the summer. Therefore only mile markers and ground mounted shield signs would be the ones currently installed.

Update - The NCDOT camera has been moved to once again show the overhead exit sign for I-587 East. The overhead, as indicated above, however, still has a US 264 shield.

The Ghostbuster

Will US 264/existing-future Interstate 587 have to wait until Interstate 87 reaches the US 64/264 spilt, and 587 connects with that interchange before the exits along existing 264 are renumbered to reflect Interstate 587's mileage?

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 06, 2022, 08:13:48 PM
Will US 264/existing-future Interstate 587 have to wait until Interstate 87 reaches the US 64/264 spilt, and 587 connects with that interchange before the exits along existing 264 are renumbered to reflect Interstate 587's mileage?

No. In fact, NCDOT has a contract to renumber all of the exits on US 264 to I-587's mileage as well as add the I-587 shields.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 06, 2022, 08:13:48 PM

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on July 06, 2022, 09:14:35 PM
No. In fact, NCDOT has a contract to renumber all of the exits on US 264 to I-587's mileage as well as add the I-587 shields.

I can't find the contract information, but it appears that the signage contract related to renumbering the exits on I-587 will be limited to the posted section east of I-95.  Presumably, those exits along the multiplex with I-795 will be renumbered with the new sequence for I-587 rather than I-795.

bob7374

They've put up at least one I-587 shield along the I-795/US 264 section in Wilson, bringing about only the second 3di concurrency in the country, photo courtesy of Shaun White:

The contractors do know that interstates have blue directional banners?

74/171FAN

It would be insane if it was that Shaun White, but I seriously doubt that.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

The Ghostbuster

What's with the white direction signs on the two Interstates? Shouldn't they be blue like Interstate directional shields usually are?

nerdom

^271/480 is the only other one I can think of.

Great Lakes Roads

And there will be another 3di concurrency in North Carolina once NCDOT completes the "missing gap" from N Elm Street to US 29/I-785 in Greensboro.

sprjus4

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on July 08, 2022, 12:34:59 AM
And there will be another 3di concurrency in North Carolina once NCDOT completes the "missing gap" from N Elm Street to US 29/I-785 in Greensboro.
It's already under construction, it will be complete within the next year or so.

LM117

Quote from: bob7374 on July 07, 2022, 11:37:54 AM
They've put up at least one I-587 shield along the I-795/US 264 section in Wilson, bringing about only the second 3di concurrency in the country, photo courtesy of Shaun White:

The contractors do know that interstates have blue directional banners?

Oof. That white banner/I-shield combo is fugly. :thumbdown:
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.