News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2022 Rand McNally Road Atlas

Started by bob7374, April 25, 2021, 06:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-55

Quote from: SkyPesos on July 14, 2021, 11:18:25 AM
Quote from: Henry on July 14, 2021, 10:36:00 AM
Quote from: bandit957 on June 27, 2021, 09:05:32 AM
Quote from: oscar on June 27, 2021, 08:16:09 AM
The main reason for looking for a 2022 atlas was my car copy of the 2021 was horribly beat-up, and it went into a recycle bin once I had a 2022 in hand.

The Rand McNally curse strikes again! Their road atlases fall apart faster than new roads can be built!
Which is why I buy a new one every few years. I just tape up the old ones and use them to draw my fictional roads on, plus any actual ones that may have been added since they were originally released.
Speaking of drawing fictional roads in a RandMcnally, I found this in my old 2015 copy:

I can barely read my old Michelin 2014 atlas because of all of my fictional markings
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

fredmcain

Quote from: Bickendan on July 16, 2021, 07:58:15 AM
The main reason for looking for a 2022 atlas was my car copy of the 2021 was horribly beat-up, and it went into a recycle bin once I had a 2022 in hand.

The Rand McNally curse strikes again! Their road atlases fall apart faster than new roads can be built!
Which is why I buy a new one every few years. I just tape up the old ones and use them to draw my fictional roads on, plus any actual ones that may have been added since they were originally released.
Speaking of drawing fictional roads in a RandMcnally, I found this in my old 2015 copy:

Heh.
Looking at that, it's clear why there's less than 0% chance it'd even get considered for construction.

All right.  I'm gonna take this discussion in a new direction away from the possible wisdom of the "fictional line".

What, pray tell, is the logic for the eastern terminus of U.S. Route 34 as shown on the map?  I am well aware that U.S. 34 once went all the way downtown and I THINK may have at one time shared pavement with U.S. 66 (I'll need to go back and look at one of my old atlases).

I can well understand why they pulled U.S. 34 our of the Loop.  Afterall, how many people would drive all the way downtown from Colorado or even Iowa?

But why did they end it like they did? It seems like a termination at I-294 would be a lot more logical or even at U.S. 12/20.  I just don't get it.  Any ideas?

Regards,
Fred M. Cain
Fred M. Cain
U.S. Route 66 Initiative
http://www.bringbackroute66.com/home.html

hobsini2

Quote from: fredmcain on July 30, 2021, 08:57:19 AM

Heh.
Looking at that, it's clear why there's less than 0% chance it'd even get considered for construction.

All right.  I'm gonna take this discussion in a new direction away from the possible wisdom of the "fictional line".

What, pray tell, is the logic for the eastern terminus of U.S. Route 34 as shown on the map?  I am well aware that U.S. 34 once went all the way downtown and I THINK may have at one time shared pavement with U.S. 66 (I'll need to go back and look at one of my old atlases).

I can well understand why they pulled U.S. 34 our of the Loop.  Afterall, how many people would drive all the way downtown from Colorado or even Iowa?

But why did they end it like they did? It seems like a termination at I-294 would be a lot more logical or even at U.S. 12/20.  I just don't get it.  Any ideas?

Regards,
Fred M. Cain
US 34 and US 66 both did run along Ogden Ave. That was until about 1970 according to the 1971 Illinois State Map.  Also of note, through the 1960s, US 54 was on Michigan Ave, Alt US 30 was along Roosevelt Rd and Stony Island Ave and Illinois 72 was along Addison St.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

JayhawkCO

Regards,
Fred M. Cain

Further info.

Chris

HighwayStar

Returning momentarily to the road atlas discussion...

What is the difference between the Walmart version and the regular version?
I know an older Walmart version had a list of Walmart stores in it, an insanely useful feature I would be willing to pay extra for, but I don't recall seeing that in more recent versions.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

JoePCool14

Heh.

Regards,
Fred M. Cain

They obviously were planning for that fictional blue marker line to be drawn on the actual earth.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Kniwt

Quote from: HighwayStar on August 01, 2021, 03:38:29 PM
I know an older Walmart version had a list of Walmart stores in it, an insanely useful feature I would be willing to pay extra for, but I don't recall seeing that in more recent versions.

Just got the 2022 Walmart edition in Mesquite NV. It still has the Walmart store directory.

Also noted: UT 7 is shown only as far as Exit 15 (and not even UC beyond), although it opened to MP 26 earlier this year. And good grief already, St. George is getting so large (approaching 200k metro) but still has that tiny little city map of basically only the downtown core.

Road Hog

The print is getting so tiny I can't even deal with atlases any more. My eyes aren't bad but they aren't getting younger either.

US 89

Quote from: Kniwt on August 06, 2021, 12:58:13 PM
Also noted: UT 7 is shown only as far as Exit 15 (and not even UC beyond), although it opened to MP 26 earlier this year. And good grief already, St. George is getting so large (approaching 200k metro) but still has that tiny little city map of basically only the downtown core.

RMcN tends to do that with almost all their non-SLC inset maps. There are even big chunks of the Wasatch Front that don't get any inset coverage because they aren't in the Salt Lake Valley or immediately next to Ogden or Provo.

But you're right that the St George map takes this to an extreme - at a minimum it should really include the northwest suburbs up to Ivins and southeast to the airport, which the current UDOT inset does... but one could maybe argue at this point it should have Hurricane in there too. I suppose we should consider ourselves lucky they give St George an inset at all...Cedar City seems like it's big enough for one but apparently not in the eyes of RMcN or UDOT.

Galaga King

Does the large scale edition show less detail than the standard edition?

PHLBOS

Quote from: HighwayStar on August 01, 2021, 03:38:29 PM
What is the difference between the Walmart version and the regular version?
Two main differences:
1. Cheaper price for the Walmart versions; but the same exact atlas.
2. Walmart versions include a listing of all their stores.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

hobsini2

Quote from: Galaga King on August 10, 2022, 04:55:52 PM
Does the large scale edition show less detail than the standard edition?

The large scale shows the same detail. it is 30-40% bigger maps. I personally prefer the large scale. The one thing though with the large scale is they drop the maps of Canada and Mexico.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.