News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Cedar Rapids/Iowa City - May 21, 2022

Started by SSOWorld, November 09, 2021, 05:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

Official announcement of the the date of the meet. This will be after the spring semester ends so it will be quieter(?) (the weekend prior is their commencement). 

Lunch Time: 11:00 AM
Lunch Venue: Texas Roadhouse, Coralville (Yes, it's open for lunch at 11:00) ([urlhttps://goo.gl/maps/ozcM9Bb7CyoWC55y7]location on the goog[/url])

Highlights (tentative):
* I-380/I-80 interchange
* Hwy 100 Volleyball interchange
* Old route between the cities

More will be posted as this is quite early.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

A.J. Bertin

Wow... so many meets are being announced so quickly.  Exciting!

I'm interested in attending this one as well, but I'll probably have to choose between this one and Laura's Cumberland MD meet if she's planning on having hers either this weekend or Memorial Day weekend.
-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

Quote from: SSOWorld on November 09, 2021, 05:57:46 PM
Official announcement of the the date of the meet. This will be after the spring semester ends so it will be quieter(?) (the weekend prior is their commencement). 

Highlights (tentative):
* I-380/I-80 interchange
* Hwy 100 Volleyball interchange
* Old route between the cities

More will be posted as this is quite early.

Gonna run through the speed cameras?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

dvferyance

I have been wanting to visit Cedar Rapids but never had a reason to go there so I am in.

signalman

Quote from: kevinb1994 on November 10, 2021, 02:29:47 PM
Not going. I'm looking at the calendar and just don't see myself there. Maybe someday.
I have never, nor do I ever intend to grace the pages of any calendar. I am okay with this.

cjk374

Quote from: signalman on November 12, 2021, 12:44:19 AM
Not going. I'm looking at the calendar and just don't see myself there. Maybe someday.
I have never, nor do I ever intend to grace the pages of any calendar. I am okay with this.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

TheHighwayMan3561

I imagine I'll be there, but I'll have to see where things are at if I make this an overnight trip or a long single-day trip.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

signalman

Quote from: cjk374 on November 12, 2021, 07:51:08 PM
Quote from: signalman on November 12, 2021, 12:44:19 AM

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
I'm glad that someone caught that joke. I thought it was pure gold.

Rushmeister

Is a stop at a Maid-Rite on the itinerary?  (just wondering...)
...and then the psychiatrist chuckled.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Rushmeister on December 01, 2021, 10:56:57 AM
Is a stop at a Maid-Rite on the itinerary?  (just wondering...)
Maybe, too early to tell
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

SSOWorld

I haven't forgotten... I did a scouting trip yesterday to check out most of the sights.  However, it's still hazy and I will have to do another round - but that won't happen until mid-April.  A Lunch venue will be chosen between now and then.

If there is another COVID wave, the option of a park won't be ruled out, but my goal is to visit and eat at a restaurant.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

TheHighwayMan3561

The roulette spun in my favor at work and I will have that weekend off, so I'm in.

Brandon

I'll be there.  It's a nice, easy day trip.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

jpi

I will probably pass on this, I have a show that Sunday in St Louis which could be tied in to this but I would need to take off that Friday to really make it work and my vacation time will be getting thin by then :-/
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Raise your what?

jpi

On 2nd thought, I don't have a show on Sunday, if I can swing Friday off I may be able to attend :-) will know for sure in the coming weeks
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Mirage45331

Hi, I'm Stephen and I'm new here (one of A.J. and Cody's friends) and I plan to be there. Looking forward to my first roadmeet.🙂

codyg1985

Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

jpi

Now its official, I will be there! :-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

IowaTraveler

I'm definitely planning to attend.

Also, if you haven't finalized the schedule yet, I would highly recommend stopping at the Bertram Road bridge just east of Cedar Rapids. It's a really cool wrought iron truss bridge built in the late 1870s and one of the oldest bridges in Iowa still open to vehicle traffic (and one of the few 19th century bridges on a paved road). However, that won't be the case for much longer because it's scheduled to be relocated to a pedestrian path this fall so that a new bridge can be built in its place, so now would be a good time to visit it.

SSOWorld

Here is the draft Itinerary (pronounced I-tin-ee-ar-y ;) ) of the meet tour.  Please note that some pieces are still subject to change.  In short, the old routing of US-218 (previously 161) is the long route.  First noting old Iowa routes in downtown IC (IowaHighways page) and then going north of there on old alignments (including at least part one that broke up in the river). before driving along parts of the Lincoln Highway in Mt Vernon and Cedar Rapids and then circling CR and playing "volleyball".

also note: Cedar Rapids IowaHighways page

We plan at this time to car pool from the strip mall lot opposite our lunch spot (Texas Roadhouse Coralville).  I will be in the area overnight for any improvisation that takes place.

Approximate timing of the route is up to 4 hours with stops.  4:30 pm would be an optimal end time prediction provided we left TRH at 12:30.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

ozarkman417

This is a meet I could feasibly attend as my first roadmeet*. It would make for a good graduation trips of sorts for me, as I will have had graduated high school a week prior, and is a close-ish meet for me. The dialogue pertaining to 18 year olds attending road meets in the Philly road meet thread sounds promising.

*I'm not sure I'll have access to a car, as my brother will be taking a graduation trip around the same time. If I do get access to a car, I'll be able to attend.

SSOWorld

Updated and final itinerary.  I will be bringing hard copies.

Also of note the forecast for Saturday is a 40% chance of rain with temperatures having a hard time cracking 60!  Dress for the weather.

Also I recommend parking cars across the street from Texas Roadhouse in the strip mall parking lot. This way we minimize movements prior to tour start.  Target depart from lunch is 12:30.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

TheHighwayMan3561

Unfortunately due to a family issue this week I will have to pull out. I am sorry.

SSOWorld

Meet photo from last weekend - Bridge in background is in Wanatee Park.

usernames in photo: Brandon, [?], jpi, paulthemapguy, Mirage45331 (Killed off minutes later - j/k), Highway63, dvferyance, IowaTraveler, SSOWorld

My apologies for not having matched all usernames.  Help is appreciated.  Other photos will be present on Facebook and Flickr over time (not there yet). Thanks to Highway63 for the leading of the tour and putting together the bulk of the plans based on history she has collected.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.