News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Which highway do you think should be removed/downgraded?

Started by Joseph R P, July 17, 2022, 06:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrepoiy

Given that Highway 401 in Eastern Ontario is able to singlehandedly connect some of the most populous cities in Canada (Toronto - Montreal, Toronto - Ottawa, and all the towns in between (ranging from 20k-100k)).

Therefore, I question the necessity of some corridors which have two freeways, but connect smaller cities.

That includes Highway 417/Autoroute 50 connection which connects Montreal to Ottawa, with few population centres in between. Therefore, I question whether needing both is really necessary.

Another would be Autoroute 20 and 40 between Montreal and Quebec. Although Autoroute 40 passes through many towns, they still aren't that big compared to the 401 towns. And Autoroute 20 only passes through Drummondville, although it does further connect to the Maritimes, the 3 provinces only have 2 million people in total.

US20IL64

Quote from: mgk920 on July 22, 2022, 01:11:07 PM
Heck, IL 394 should be extended southward and southeastward to feed into US 41 in Indiana.

Mike

That would be good idea too, since 80/94 and 65 are overloaded. So, I take back what I said about 394.

dvferyance

Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 18, 2022, 11:27:05 AM
I-794 in Milwaukee should be a surface street. A boulevard would be nice.
Good luck with that.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: dvferyance on July 31, 2022, 05:16:51 PM
Good luck with that.

Well it is at least plausible due to the fact that there is relatively little thru traffic on 794.  The vast majority of traffic is getting off at or on from a downtown exit, regardless of which direction of 794 it is traveling.  If you drive it eastbound, by the time you're on the Hoan Bridge, most of the traffic that's with you is different traffic from that you passed through the Marquette Interchange with.  That's very telling for such a short piece of freeway.  I observed this myself quite often when I lived there.

Obviously I'm assuming this is about the east-west portion of 794 and not the Hoan Bridge.  That's a different animal crossing a navigable waterway and all.

I'd be a little bummed to lose a cool 3di, but if it were to happen, I'd understand the reasoning.  And I don't think it is a completely untenable proposal.  That's like four extra minutes to get people in and out of their parking garages downtown.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

SEWIGuy

Quote from: dvferyance on July 31, 2022, 05:16:51 PM
Good luck with that.

Oh I know it's not likely to happen in my lifetime. But eventually I-794 is going to need to be replaced at great expense. The whole thing is elevated!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.