News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Why doesn't Massachusetts sign well for Vermont?

Started by interstatefan990, February 19, 2023, 10:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

Quote from: The Nature Boy on September 15, 2023, 03:41:26 PM
Quote from: ThatHighwayGuy777 on September 13, 2023, 10:30:32 PM
On I-91 we get signed for White River JCT, VT obviously indicating I-89 also Vermont doesn't sign Springfield and becomes very greedy with its control cities sometimes also because I-91's last big "city" is Greenfield, MA after that we just head directly for Canada

WRJ is also helpful for people who might be visiting a certain Ivy League school up in that neck of the woods. It's a village in a neighboring town and people who are familiar with the area would know it. There's a lot of traffic from NYC to that area.

I suppose signing "Hanover NH" would be more on the nose for that one though....

It already is, at the exit in question...

Quote from: The Nature Boy on September 16, 2023, 01:16:20 AM
Quote from: shadyjay on September 15, 2023, 08:57:04 PM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on September 15, 2023, 05:28:03 PM
I can't imagine Vermont using a New Hampshire city as a control.

Hmmm.... I-89 uses Concord, I-93 uses Littleton.
Unless you're refering specific to I-91.

A thought just occured to me...

Did Mass ever sign I-91 with a control city of "NH - VT" like they did in the eastern half of the state with "NH - Maine"?  I don't think they did, but its something that would have been completely applicable, given that most of the exits on I-91 in VT share a NH control city, whether on a primary or secondary sign.  "Brattleboro/Keene", "Westminster/Walpole", "Springfield/Charlestown", "Norwich/Hanover", etc etc.

Claremont is a regional center for the southern part of the Upper Valley (or northern part of whatever is south of the Upper Valley) so it should probably be a control city on I-91. But yeah, I don't see Vermont signing an NH city on I-91.

What do you mean?  Shadyjay just mentioned SEVERAL examples of VTrans using a NH city on I-91 guide signage.

Rothman

Quote from: froggie on September 16, 2023, 03:40:29 PM
On I-91 we get signed for White River JCT, VT obviously indicating I-89 also Vermont doesn't sign Springfield and becomes very greedy with its control cities sometimes also because I-91's last big "city" is Greenfield, MA after that we just head directly for Canada

WRJ is also helpful for people who might be visiting a certain Ivy League school up in that neck of the woods. It's a village in a neighboring town and people who are familiar with the area would know it. There's a lot of traffic from NYC to that area.

I suppose signing "Hanover NH" would be more on the nose for that one though....

Did Mass ever sign I-91 with a control city of "NH - VT" like they did in the eastern half of the state with "NH - Maine"?  I don't think they did, but its something that would have been completely applicable, given that most of the exits on I-91 in VT share a NH control city, whether on a primary or secondary sign.  "Brattleboro/Keene", "Westminster/Walpole", "Springfield/Charlestown", "Norwich/Hanover", etc etc.

Claremont is a regional center for the southern part of the Upper Valley (or northern part of whatever is south of the Upper Valley) so it should probably be a control city on I-91. But yeah, I don't see Vermont signing an NH city on I-91.

What do you mean?  Shadyjay just mentioned SEVERAL examples of VTrans using a NH city on I-91 guide signage.

Trusting a guy named "Shadyjay" seems like a fragile proposition.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

shadyjay

Quote from: Rothman on September 16, 2023, 04:21:32 PM

What, do we not recall the 'shadyjay.com' empire? 

Here's my 2004 I-91 exit listings, complete with NH referenced several times on I-91 signage.
https://web.archive.org/web/20050225215615/http://www.shadyjay.com/NET/listings/interstate/i-91.htm

Alps

Dude, he's better known than you are.

Rothman

Quote from: Alps on September 16, 2023, 09:42:44 PM

I don't doubt it.  Shady people tend to be.  I mean, just look at Eminem.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Alps

Quote from: Rothman on September 16, 2023, 10:13:29 PM
Quote from: Alps on September 16, 2023, 09:42:44 PM

I don't doubt it.  Shady people tend to be.  I mean, just look at Eminem.
Please stand up.

The Nature Boy

I would differentiate exit signage from control city signage here. The ambiguity is my fault. I don't think there's an instance of an NH city being used as a control city. My understanding is that the I-91 control cities in VT are Brattleboro, WRJ, St. Johnsbury, and Newport.

shadyjay

Took a drive today to hit up some more rail-trail mileage in the Keene area.  Heading up MA 12, just coming into Winchendon MA, a "pull-thru" paddle sign caught my eye.  It said "12 NORTH / Keene NH / Bellows Falls VT".  So there ya go, MA signed VT on a 2-lane road when VT is 2 states away!  I didn't get a picture (wasn't expecting it) and don't see it on StreetView as that dates back to 2019 when most of the "paddles" didn't have a traditional route marker (just the number).  The one I saw today looked relatively new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.