News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Chick-Fil-A and the NY Thruway

Started by hbelkins, December 21, 2023, 11:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

Quote from: Alps on December 24, 2023, 10:10:32 PM
Quote from: froggie on December 24, 2023, 07:29:28 PM
Quote from: signalman on December 24, 2023, 05:11:51 AM
Quote from: kalvado on December 23, 2023, 08:55:15 PM
Quote from: vdeane on December 23, 2023, 08:26:36 PM
Quote from: kalvado on December 23, 2023, 03:18:41 PM
Quote from: froggie on December 23, 2023, 03:13:17 PM
I'll go ahead and say it.  Between the concession "rebuilds and changes" and the EZPass situation that begins in 8 days, it's very clear that the Thruway Authority doesn't care about travelers...only their toll dollars.
Welcome to the world of business.
What's the deal with ezpass though?
The Thruway is eliminating the out of state E-ZPass rate when the toll increase goes into effect.  Starting 1/1/24, those without a NY E-ZPass will be stuck paying the bill by mail rate, same as if they didn't have an E-ZPass at all.
They don't vote here anyway
One does not need to reside or vote in NY to obtain a NY EZ Pass.

Strictly speaking, no.  But I know from personal experience that if you use a non-NY address to get a NY EZPass, they automatically give you a PANYNJ tag.  Which, of course, subejcts one to the monthly service fee for PANYNJ tags.
No, you just pick one up in person and then you get the one of your choice.

I *DID* pick mine up in person.  Was forced to a PA tag because I didn't have a NY address.

lstone19

Quote from: froggie on December 25, 2023, 07:43:41 AM
I *DID* pick mine up in person.  Was forced to a PA tag because I didn't have a NY address.

I was able to get a Thruway tag by getting an "on the go" tag (or whatever they call it) at an upstate grocery store.

froggie

Quote from: lstone19 on December 25, 2023, 09:30:40 AM
Quote from: froggie on December 25, 2023, 07:43:41 AM

I was able to get a Thruway tag by getting an "on the go" tag (or whatever they call it) at an upstate grocery store.

Fair enough.  And in full disclosure, it was several years ago when I first got mine.  The "on the go" option didn't exist at the time.

Alps

I got mine in like 2014ish by just driving up to Nyack and getting one.

ran4sh

Quote from: edwaleni on December 24, 2023, 11:39:04 AM
There was a CFA in the Charlotte-Douglas Airport that is a franchisee run by the contracted airport food service vendor. (ie Aramark, Compass, etc.)

The only difference between them and a standard CFA is the fact that they do not collect purchase points, nor can you use the reward points and you can't use the ePay option from CFA.

When I last spoke to the manager he said CFA Corporate is going to stop allowing food service companies to "sublet" the brand anymore.

There was a recent squabble at DIA (Denver International) about the CFA approval that was up for a vote. Several board members were upset that they were "giving up" a day of revenue by allowing a CFA to use the space 6 days a week. The "revenue" they were referring to was the 3% concession tax each transaction requires.  After public outcry, it passed
Quote from: signalman on December 24, 2023, 05:11:51 AM
Quote from: kalvado on December 23, 2023, 08:55:15 PM
Quote from: vdeane on December 23, 2023, 08:26:36 PM
Quote from: kalvado on December 23, 2023, 03:18:41 PM
Quote from: froggie on December 23, 2023, 03:13:17 PM
I'll go ahead and say it.  Between the concession "rebuilds and changes" and the EZPass situation that begins in 8 days, it's very clear that the Thruway Authority doesn't care about travelers...only their toll dollars.
Welcome to the world of business.
What's the deal with ezpass though?
The Thruway is eliminating the out of state E-ZPass rate when the toll increase goes into effect.  Starting 1/1/24, those without a NY E-ZPass will be stuck paying the bill by mail rate, same as if they didn't have an E-ZPass at all.
They don't vote here anyway
One does not need to reside or vote in NY to obtain a NY EZ Pass.
d.

The inability to use reward points is not unique to CFA, it seems to apply to all businesses at state service plazas (not just NY but also PA etc). I tried to use points that I have for Auntie Anne's at a service plaza location and they weren't accepted.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 24, 2023, 08:18:16 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: If they get rid of transponder discrimination, they're only going to raise the discounted toll rates to the highest rates, not reduce the highest rates to the lower rates.  If you're currently benefiting from a toll discount option, removing the discrimination will cost you in the end.

I mostly agree, but the thing that screws travelers like me (live in a non-toll area and only visits the Northeast every 4-5 years or so) is that while I would be ok with getting a specific E-ZPass to take advantage of transponder discrimination, most agencies don't allow that kind of inactivity on their account and will either charge a fee or cancel an account for inactivity.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

kalvado

Quote from: ran4sh on December 25, 2023, 12:45:49 PM

I mostly agree, but the thing that screws travelers like me (live in a non-toll area and only visits the Northeast every 4-5 years or so) is that while I would be ok with getting a specific E-ZPass to take advantage of transponder discrimination, most agencies don't allow that kind of inactivity on their account and will either charge a fee or cancel an account for inactivity.
If you are talking about so infrequent situations, extra toll is pretty much a rounding error for planning that trip...

lstone19

Quote from: kalvado on December 25, 2023, 01:15:31 PM

If you are talking about so infrequent situations, extra toll is pretty much a rounding error for planning that trip...

Not if you're renting a car where without a transponder of your own they'll charge you cash/online/invoice rate (even if you're using their provided transponder) plus a daily (in)convenience fee.

kalvado

Quote from: lstone19 on December 25, 2023, 01:23:14 PM

Not if you're renting a car where without a transponder of your own they'll charge you cash/online/invoice rate (even if you're using their provided transponder) plus a daily (in)convenience fee.
As it was mentioned above, getting a transponder - at least in NY - is very easy. Close the account once back home.

lstone19

Quote from: kalvado on December 25, 2023, 01:26:10 PM

As it was mentioned above, getting a transponder - at least in NY - is very easy. Close the account once back home.

Not as easy as you think. Getting an "on the go" transponder requires activating it and then waiting 24 hours before you can use it. Not suitable for immediate use right after you arrive in the state (fortunately when I did it earlier this year, we were heading north from ALB up the Northway for a couple of days before heading on to the Thruway). And closing the account involved sending the transponder back which costs a few bucks to do.

kalvado

Quote from: lstone19 on December 25, 2023, 01:30:26 PM

Not as easy as you think. Getting an "on the go" transponder requires activating it and then waiting 24 hours before you can use it. Not suitable for immediate use right after you arrive in the state (fortunately when I did it earlier this year, we were heading north from ALB up the Northway for a couple of days before heading on to the Thruway). And closing the account involved sending the transponder back which costs a few bucks to do.
Next day is a strange thing. I thought they used to do instant operation

vdeane

When I got mine, $15 of the $25 it cost was available immediately.  The remaining $10 is credited to the account once registered if automatic replenishment is set up.  Did something change?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

lstone19

Quote from: vdeane on December 25, 2023, 01:40:52 PM

When I got mine, $15 of the $25 it cost was available immediately.  The remaining $10 is credited to the account once registered if automatic replenishment is set up.  Did something change?

Per https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/onthego/general_info.shtml, "*Important: You must register Tag before using. Tag is available for use the day after registration."

jeffandnicole

When getting a rental car, and you know you're going to need a transponder, various car agencies have different options. Some have all-inclusive options that allow for unlimited tolling at a set price, and others are pay as you go with a daily fee. I've seen options where the fee maxes out as well. It involves a bit of research to determine which option is best.

This. People will get unusually nitpicky on trying to save a few dollars on tolling, but then spend 30 cents extra on each gallon of gas they fill up with, that would've been cheaper several miles down the road if they had looked at Gas Buddy.

Alps

Quote from: kalvado on December 25, 2023, 01:32:24 PM

Next day is a strange thing. I thought they used to do instant operation
By the time I got my EZP it made me wait. Fortunately all for work so I could expense the cash tolls the first day.

RobbieL2415

Does anyone know if having multiple EZ-Passes from multiple agencies for a single vehicle violates the ToS?

1995hoo

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on December 27, 2023, 07:24:14 AM
Does anyone know if having multiple EZ-Passes from multiple agencies for a single vehicle violates the ToS?

He hasn't posted in a long time, but forum member mtantillo has long had multiple transponders for a single vehicle to take advantage of various discounts and he said he's never had a problem.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

MASTERNC

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on December 27, 2023, 07:24:14 AM

No, just make sure you wrap them in foil and use the read-proof bags when not in use.  I say this because the read-proof bags do fail over time and I kept getting double bills (E-ZPass read on one account and a plate debit on another account) because the Maryland Hatem Bridge pass I had was being read despite being in said bag.

Rothman

I did not know that about the bags.

Still, the idea of going on a long road trip (or not so long, given the various agencies in the Megalopolis) and having to keep remembering which tag to pull out or keep in a bag would be mildly entertaining for a couple of hours, but would quickly become too tedious to be worth it to save a few dollars.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

deathtopumpkins

I have multiple tags (MA, NH, ME, TX, FL, CA). It's no real trouble at all to keep them in the glovebox or center console and swap them on the fly. You generally have plenty of time in between different agencies' tolls, not like you're swapping transponders every 5 minutes. It's generally worth it to get the in-state discount if you travel through a state with any regularity, as most are free or cheap enough that you can pay off the extra cost relatively quickly in savings.

HOWEVER, I have begun to run into issues lately with wider adoption of toll-by-plate, particularly in NY and FL - it seems random which agency gets the plate toll if your transponder doesn't get read for whatever reason and your license plate gets looked up instead. I've actually had NYSTA correctly charge the NH transponder I had mounted at the time, but simultaneously bill MA based on looking up my (NH) license plate for the same toll. And disputing toll charges in this situation does work, but is a hassle that (in MA's case) involved physically mailing a letter along with statement copies, and can take months.

I'm debating whether to try and pick up a NYSTA transponder on my next trip through the state, or to just start shunpiking the thruway entirely based on these experiences, the fact that transactions take 2 months to post, and the skyrocketing toll rates.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Rothman

Yeah, after reading all that, having different transponders is a pain.

I had enough grief having my transponder in a rental and it not getting read for one toll down in FL last month, let alone worrying about double charges due to having more than one transponder in the car or no charges for whatever other reason.

But hey, got that stupid convenience fee refunded, so that was a win.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

lstone19

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on December 27, 2023, 04:12:51 PM
I have multiple tags (MA, NH, ME, TX, FL, CA). It's no real trouble at all to keep them in the glovebox or center console and swap them on the fly. You generally have plenty of time in between different agencies' tolls, not like you're swapping transponders every 5 minutes. It's generally worth it to get the in-state discount if you travel through a state with any regularity, as most are free or cheap enough that you can pay off the extra cost relatively quickly in savings.

HOWEVER, I have begun to run into issues lately with wider adoption of toll-by-plate, particularly in NY and FL - it seems random which agency gets the plate toll if your transponder doesn't get read for whatever reason and your license plate gets looked up instead. I've actually had NYSTA correctly charge the NH transponder I had mounted at the time, but simultaneously bill MA based on looking up my (NH) license plate for the same toll. And disputing toll charges in this situation does work, but is a hassle that (in MA's case) involved physically mailing a letter along with statement copies, and can take months.

I'm debating whether to try and pick up a NYSTA transponder on my next trip through the state, or to just start shunpiking the thruway entirely based on these experiences, the fact that transactions take 2 months to post, and the skyrocketing toll rates.

I don't get why they would look up the plate if a transponder was charged.

But based on my recent experiences with FasTrak (California), I am wondering if having a second transponder in the car, even though in a read-proof bag, causes problems.

I normally travel with both an EZ-Pass (usually my NYSTA pass although sometimes my ISTHA I-Pass) and a FasTrak in computer bag in the read-proof bags (there's also a second FasTrak that lives in our primary car). I've never had a problem with either EZ-Pass (I-Pass) reading when properly mounted even with the FasTrak in the car in the bag - and that's a variety of cars since EZ-Pass/I-Pass use is always in rentals now. But I've had a lot of problems with the FasTrak that resides in our primary car reading and I'm starting to think it's because of the other FasTrak and/or EZ-Pass even though they're both in bags (I meant to leave them home when we take our primary car into FasTrak territory but forgot on the most recent trip - why do I keep a FasTrak in my computer bag? Too much of a chance of having to fly to San Francisco and then rent a car one-way to home in Reno). 

FasTrak is good about charging by license with no extra fee but you get screwed when you're using an express toll lane where the charge is discounted for HOVs based on a transponder setting.

BTW, the express toll lanes have multiple readers over several miles that are combined into one distance based-toll. It only takes them four or five days to do so as compared to the Thruway apparently needing three to four weeks to figure out if 25A was used.

lstone19

Quote from: Rothman on December 27, 2023, 04:20:04 PM

I had enough grief having my transponder in a rental and it not getting read for one toll down in FL last month, let alone worrying about double charges due to having more than one transponder in the car or no charges for whatever other reason.

The lack of "good read" feedback at more and more toll gantries is a real pain in the butt.

kalvado

Quote from: lstone19 on December 27, 2023, 04:35:26 PM
Quote from: Rothman on December 27, 2023, 04:20:04 PM

The lack of "good read" feedback at more and more toll gantries is a real pain in the butt.
To add insult to injury, read feedback can be implemented on a tag - chip already has a pin for that - but apparently that would drain battery faster and limit tag lifespan

Jim

Quote from: kalvado on December 27, 2023, 04:53:24 PM
To add insult to injury, read feedback can be implemented on a tag - chip already has a pin for that - but apparently that would drain battery faster and limit tag lifespan

Probably different technologies than what's currently used here in E-ZPass land, but the car we rented in Lisbon last summer had a transponder that beeped each time it was successfully read.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

epzik8

IMO Chick-fil-A should have authority over the NYT.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.