News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Unbuilt Freeway in Superior?

Started by chrismarion100, January 01, 2023, 01:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

Fun fact:  the 53/194 concurrency was proposed at one point in the early 1960s to become a freeway.  I have a statewide map somewhere in my collection that shows the proposal (along with several corridors radiating out from the Twin Cities) but doesn't have any further details.

The Ghostbuster

Was there ever a proposed freeway upgrade for the Walter Mondale Dr. segment of US 53? The portion just north of Interstate 35 hints that a freeway could have been constructed.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 25, 2023, 12:29:46 PM
Was there ever a proposed freeway upgrade for the Walter Mondale Dr. segment of US 53? The portion just north of Interstate 35 hints that a freeway could have been constructed.

Believe it or not, a good chunk of that section between I-35 and the mall was a 2-lane road well into the 2000s.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Rothman

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 25, 2023, 12:40:40 PM

Believe it or not, a good chunk of that section between I-35 and the mall was a 2-lane road well into the 2000s.
I believe it.  That's when I lived in the area.  I remember when improvements just started to be made.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Rothman on August 25, 2023, 12:49:26 PM

I believe it.  That's when I lived in the area.  I remember when improvements just started to be made.

Anecdotally I think the notorious Seven Corners was realigned/altered at some point before the 4-laning was undertaken, since I have no memory of that intersection.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Rothman

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 25, 2023, 01:11:41 PM
Quote from: Rothman on August 25, 2023, 12:49:26 PM

Anecdotally I think the notorious Seven Corners was realigned/altered at some point before the 4-laning was undertaken, since I have no memory of that intersection.
IIRC, this is true.  That intersection was quite interesting with the way that street blades weren't quite aligned with their streets. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.