News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Wisdom teeth

Started by tolbs17, April 12, 2021, 02:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmacswimmer

I had all 4 out at 19, a couple weeks before returning to college for sophomore year.  I think 2 of the 4 were impacted, but the oral surgeon recommended just getting all 4 out at that point.  My mom drove me to/from and I was put under - I don't remember the drive home, but my mom told me that I spent it pointing at other cars along I-70 and dying laughing :hmmm:

I was prescribed Vicodin for pain relief, but switched to just ibuprofen after a day or 2 and that did the trick until I was fully recovered.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

1995hoo

Quote from: webny99 on April 13, 2021, 09:00:07 AM
I had all four of mine out at age 17. I was put out completely, and despite me being nervous, it went much smoother than I expected. I hardly even had any swelling.

I'm kind of surprised people have mentioned getting it done at their regular dentist. I can't even imagine that, although I suppose it would be possible if your wisdom teeth weren't impacted.

It likely depends on the particular dentist's qualifications. Some may be qualified as orthodontic surgeons; others are not (mine is not, as I noted earlier).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

texaskdog

I had two pulled where they knocked me out so hard I didn't even know I was out. I woke up and asked when they were going to do it?  The other 2 I had this old dentist and he was so good he never gave me any novocaine and yanked them and I didn't feel a thing!  I had one more pulled because it was in the back and I didn't want to crown it and my new dentist said he got good at pulling teeth because he had worked in a poor part of town where no one could afford to fix them. 

kphoger

I don't have any wisdom teeth.  Never have, never will.  It's genetic.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on April 13, 2021, 03:41:43 PM
I don't have any wisdom teeth.  Never have, never will.  It's genetic.
So...your genes don't know how to make teeth. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

tolbs17

Well mine are bothering me. It's bleeding

dlsterner

Quote from: tolbs17 on April 13, 2021, 08:11:03 PM

Well if they are bothering you and bleeding, you may want to go see your dentist soon.

tolbs17

Quote from: dlsterner on April 13, 2021, 10:54:25 PM

Well if they are bothering you and bleeding, you may want to go see your dentist soon.
It's still too deep in.

dlsterner

Quote from: tolbs17 on April 13, 2021, 11:00:22 PM

It's still too deep in.

Seriously.  If there is bleeding, and your mouth is bothering you ... something is likely wrong.  It might not even be your wisdom teeth, but something else.  You may want to go see your dentist soon.

tolbs17

Quote from: dlsterner on April 13, 2021, 11:16:51 PM

It's still too deep in.

Seriously.  If there is bleeding, and your mouth is bothering you ... something is likely wrong.  It might not even be your wisdom teeth, but something else.  You may want to go see your dentist soon.
I seen her like 5 months ago.

Takumi

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 13, 2021, 12:47:05 AM
I got my wisdoms out at 17, so it surprises me that that's 10-15 years before the vast majority of people.

Same. I actually didn't have that much pain after having them out.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Scott5114

Quote from: tolbs17 on April 13, 2021, 11:20:15 PM

It's still too deep in.

You really don't know how to handle a potential medical emergency, do you?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bandit957

I was about 30 when I had the first 2 pulled. The dentist didn't even tell me she was going to pull them until that day. I was about 37 when I finally had the other 2 pulled, and I had to go to a surgeon for that.

Neither of these events was really that bad. I was awake during the first. They only used a local anesthetic. I could feel them pulling the teeth and crushing them, but it didn't hurt except for the part where they didn't use enough anesthetic. During the second event, they put me under. Also, after both events, I just went on with the day instead of laying down in bed for days.

I remember walking home from the dentist after the first event and having to keep spitting along the way.

None of the dentists or surgeons really explained why they needed to be pulled, other than saying, "They've got to go!" I hope it wasn't just cosmetic or anything. I have very crooked teeth, but that was considered cool in my day.

Also, a few years ago when the song "Crooked Teeth" by Papa Roach came out, I looked for it on YouTube (to see if I wanted to buy it). After I did so, I started receiving all sorts of ads for cosmetic dentists in my "recommended" list.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

tolbs17

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 14, 2021, 03:12:20 AM
Quote from: tolbs17 on April 13, 2021, 11:20:15 PM

It's still too deep in.

No

Dirt Roads

Quote from: tolbs17 on April 14, 2021, 08:39:45 AM
No

My son is about your age, and probably struggling with this as well.  First off, we've shared our war stories about wisdom teeth with you but the truth is that most Americans have to deal with this at some point in life.  Second, dentists are there to help you through this process.  This might not be fun, but there is nothing to be nervous about.  They will also help you get the finances you need for this.  Third, if you are struggling how to find a dentist that is convenient to you, don't be afraid to ask somebody you know for advice.  Know that some of us will be praying you through this.

tolbs17

Quote from: Dirt Roads on April 14, 2021, 10:37:01 AM
No

My son is about your age, and probably struggling with this as well.  First off, we've shared our war stories about wisdom teeth with you but the truth is that most Americans have to deal with this at some point in life.  Second, dentists are there to help you through this process.  This might not be fun, but there is nothing to be nervous about.  They will also help you get the finances you need for this.  Third, if you are struggling how to find a dentist that is convenient to you, don't be afraid to ask somebody you know for advice.  Know that some of us will be praying you through this.
The tooth is growing in the middle of my gums.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: tolbs17 on April 14, 2021, 11:19:50 AM
No

I've had dental issues since I was a kid.  My bottom teeth are a little bit crooked and so I always had a bunch of build up and stuff no matter how diligently I brushed.  The dentists did a test on my saliva and found I have higher amounts of calcium and other minerals which cause it.  Then I decided to ignore it for a couple of years and that got really expensive once I took the time and energy to get everything fixed, so I couldn't more highly recommend trying to get stuff fixed as quickly as you can when you're young. Will save you money and pain years later.

Chris

Dirt Roads

Wisdom teeth are in the gums in the very back.  But my son had an extra tooth come in between his central incisors (front two teeth) when he was about 12 years old.  He had that one removed, and then also needed a premolar removed from each side to allow the orthodontist to install braces properly.  He went to an oral surgeon and did just fine.  Many people (like myself) simply have the dentist do the work, in which you are still awake through the procedure.  I've always been fascinated with how medical professionals are able to do their jobs, so I like to stay awake and watch the action.

You do need a dentist to check the tooth that is breaking through, but if it is a wisdom tooth it may come in just fine on its own.  My upper wisdom teeth came in with no problems.  My lower wisdom teeth came in too tight, jammed up the rack of teeth on the bottom jaw, and my lower front teeth are all twisted sideways a bit so that the wisdom teeth could come in.  I wasn't all that painful, but I've never been shy of pain.  I'm old fashioned, so when a dentist once asked me if I wanted my teeth straightened I said no.  As a railroader, I've never been judged on whether or not I had a perfect smile. 

Do you need help finding a dentist?

kkt

Six months between seeing the dentist is only if all you need is cleaning.  You have a real problem and should call for an appointment ASAP.

jemacedo9

Quote from: jayhawkco on April 14, 2021, 11:53:59 AM
No

I've had dental issues since I was a kid.  My bottom teeth are a little bit crooked and so I always had a bunch of build up and stuff no matter how diligently I brushed.  The dentists did a test on my saliva and found I have higher amounts of calcium and other minerals which cause it.  Then I decided to ignore it for a couple of years and that got really expensive once I took the time and energy to get everything fixed, so I couldn't more highly recommend trying to get stuff fixed as quickly as you can when you're young. Will save you money and pain years later.

Chris

I have the exact same issue and have had the exact same experience...so I completely second the advice.  (I actually have cleanings every 4 mths instead of 6 to help control the build-up.)

JayhawkCO

Quote from: jemacedo9 on April 14, 2021, 12:48:37 PM
I have the exact same issue and have had the exact same experience...so I completely second the advice.  (I actually have cleanings every 4 mths instead of 6 to help control the build-up.)

I'm on three months since it then caused gum issues.  I just bought some fancy schmancy $300 Oral-B toothbrush that is supposed to be top of the line hoping that this prevents the $250 of extra crap I pay for every time I get a cleaning.  It has an app that shows if you brushed thoroughly enough on every part of your mouth.  Technology, I tell ya.

Chris

1995hoo

I have an Oral-B electric toothbrush that is nowhere near as expensive nor as fancy as the one jayhawkco describes. I've used an electric toothbrush since the 1990s (the current one is obviously not the original one) and I'd never switch back to the old-fashioned way. A manual brush feels like it isn't cleaning anything compared to the electric one.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 14, 2021, 01:03:09 PM
I have an Oral-B electric toothbrush that is nowhere near as expensive nor as fancy as the one jayhawkco describes. I've used an electric toothbrush since the 1990s (the current one is obviously not the original one) and I'd never switch back to the old-fashioned way. A manual brush feels like it isn't cleaning anything compared to the electric one.

I had the standard, entry-level Philips Sonicare one, but apparently that wasn't doing the trick, so I did research and most everyone says the one I got is the best.  Whether or not they thought it was worth the money varied, but I figured I'd at least attempt to invest in my health.

Chris

jemacedo9

Quote from: jayhawkco on April 14, 2021, 02:30:24 PM

I had the standard, entry-level Philips Sonicare one, but apparently that wasn't doing the trick, so I did research and most everyone says the one I got is the best.  Whether or not they thought it was worth the money varied, but I figured I'd at least attempt to invest in my health.

Chris
I have the Philips Sonicare and I don't think it is doing the trick, either...interesting feedback.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: jemacedo9 on April 14, 2021, 03:21:35 PM
Quote from: jayhawkco on April 14, 2021, 02:30:24 PM

Chris
I have the Philips Sonicare and I don't think it is doing the trick, either...interesting feedback.

I will say that the Oral B that I got (https://oralb.com/en-us/products/electric-toothbrushes/io-series-9-electric-toothbrush/) has a much bigger head, and unlike the cheaper Oral B ones, it brushes sonically as opposed to rotating.  So maybe it's just covering more ground than my Sonicare did.  I will say that because it's bigger (including the stem of the head), it's almost impossible to keep the "toothpaste foam" in my mouth and so I have to either brush my teeth in the shower (reducing my ability to use the app that I referenced earlier) or make sure I lean over the sink because I will "drool foam" all over the toothbrush and my hand no matter how tightly I try to close my mouth around the toothbrush.  Again, if it makes my dental health better, a small price to pay.

Chris

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.