News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-49 photos north of Shreveport 5-July-2014 - nearly complete

Started by MaxConcrete, July 06, 2014, 01:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaxConcrete

The long section from north of Gilliam, LA to the existing AR 549 in Arkansas appears to be very close to completion. The only work in progress I noticed was at the existing entrance to AR 549 and could be done within weeks. Of course there could be more work in progress on sections not visible from US 71.

This is at LA 1 just north of Shreveport. The freeway is open to the north but southward into Shreveport work is in progress, shown in this view.

Going north, the freeway ends just south of Hosston. But this sign should be gone soon.

Exit to US 71 south of Hosston.

On the east side of Hosston the signage is in place with covers over the I-49 shields.

Another covered shield.

This is between Hosston and Ida where US 71 crosses over I-49. The interstate is complete and ready for traffic. There is no interchange here.

This is on the west side of Ida, with another redacted I-49 shield.

This is at the entrance to AR 549. There is no I-49 signage on AR 549.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

bjrush

Quote from: MaxConcrete on July 06, 2014, 01:44:41 PM

On the east side of Hosston the signage is in place with covers over the I-49 shields.

Looks like they reversed the order of the signs so it would be easier to take the garbage bags off. Looks cheesy with the green sign on top

That I-49 sign must have some huge moment associated with it. There is a shitload of concrete around that sucker

Thanks for posting the photos
Woo Pig Sooie

Grzrd

It's interesting that the South I-49 shield in the background is uncovered (it also looks like the I-49 shield on the bridge is uncovered), but the North I-49 shield and the JCT I-49 shield remain covered.

Great photos!  Thanks for sharing them.

MaxConcrete

Quote from: Grzrd on July 06, 2014, 02:32:52 PM

It's interesting that the South I-49 shield in the background is uncovered (it also looks like the I-49 shield on the bridge is uncovered), but the North I-49 shield and the JCT I-49 shield remain covered.

Great photos!  Thanks for sharing them.

Here is the original unreduced image. There is some evidence of tape on the uncovered sign so I'm thinking someone tore off the cover. The green cover on the sign is not like the other black covers. The green cover appears to be more improvised; maybe the original black covers were removed and this was a replacement.

This intersection was not strict in covering the I-49 shields compared to the Hosston intersection.

It was very easy to drive around the "Road Closed" signs and cruise on the unopened highway. I'm sure many folks have, and I was tempted.

www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Grzrd

Quote from: MaxConcrete on July 06, 2014, 02:50:48 PM
Here is the original unreduced image ... It was very easy to drive around the "Road Closed" signs and cruise on the unopened highway. I'm sure many folks have, and I was tempted.

Thanks for the follow-up! The "Road Closed" signs do look half-hearted. I wonder if LaDOTD is quietly allowing local traffic to drive it?

Quote from: MaxConcrete on July 06, 2014, 02:50:48 PM
There is some evidence of tape on the uncovered sign so I'm thinking someone tore off the cover.

Also, great Zapruder-like catch on the "(Not So) Magic Tape".  :-P

cjk374

Back in the 1980s, then-senator Foster Campbell used a portion of then-closed I-49 between Shreveport and Natchitoches.  He found a section of concrete that was missing in the road...the hard way!  :pan: It totaled his car and put him in the hospitals for a few days.  It made the news statewide, and somehow was still re-elected a couple of times as senator, and now he is on the Louisiana Public Service Commission.   :banghead:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

US71

Quote from: cjk374 on July 06, 2014, 03:04:22 PM
Back in the 1980s, then-senator Foster Campbell used a portion of then-closed I-49 between Shreveport and Natchitoches.  He found a section of concrete that was missing in the road...the hard way!  :pan: It totaled his car and put him in the hospitals for a few days.  It made the news statewide, and somehow was still re-elected a couple of times as senator, and now he is on the Louisiana Public Service Commission.   :banghead:

Wasn't there a policeman in Tennessee who recently made the same mistake?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Grzrd

Quote from: US71 on July 06, 2014, 04:47:42 PM
Quote from: cjk374 on July 06, 2014, 03:04:22 PM
Wasn't there a policeman in Tennessee who recently made the same mistake?

Yes, about a month before the most recent section of TN 385/ Future I-269 opened; it cost him his life:

http://www.wmcactionnews5.com/story/23752940/single-car-crash-kills-deputy

mcdonaat

Quote from: bjrush on July 06, 2014, 01:55:58 PM

Looks like they reversed the order of the signs so it would be easier to take the garbage bags off. Looks cheesy with the green sign on top

That I-49 sign must have some huge moment associated with it. There is a shitload of concrete around that sucker

Thanks for posting the photos
What exactly do you mean by reversed signage?

Also, Louisiana does this with any new Interstate signs, for breakaway posts and to make the mowing jobs easier - all that concrete means no weed eating.

bjrush

Seems like normally the shields are atop the green destination sign
Woo Pig Sooie

dariusb

It's great to see the progress on this route. Can't wait when Septemer comes and able to ride down to Shreveport on this new road.
It's a new day for a new beginning.

mcdonaat

Quote from: bjrush on July 06, 2014, 06:06:33 PM
Ah... really? Usually the destination sign is up top. Maybe it's the opposite in Arkansas...

EDIT: Found some photos. The weird thing, to me, is that the shields are actually very close to the destination sign.

Apologies if the pictures are scaled to be huge, but these are copied from the aaroads website.

It is great to see the highway progressing! Can't wait to see "To Texarkana" on the 3132 signs actually mean that you can stay on freeway for the entire route to Texarkana.

cjk374

Quote from: bjrush on July 06, 2014, 06:06:33 PM

I've seen the shields on top in Arkansas, but not so much in Louisiana.

Scott5114

Going north, the freeway ends just south of Hosston. But this sign should be gone soon.

Why do some states sometimes use this many poles? I want to say the welcome sign to SD I passed when I visited that state had five poles holding up a sign smaller than this one.

Around here, it's unusual to see a sign with more than two poles.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bassoon1986

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 08, 2014, 02:32:57 AM

Why do some states sometimes use this many poles? I want to say the welcome sign to SD I passed when I visited that state had five poles holding up a sign smaller than this one.

Seeing this picture makes me wonder if the destinations at exit 4 on AR 549 in Arkansas will drop "Shreveport" once I-49 north across the state line is completed. I'm sure they posted that because they knew I-49 would not be completed for many years, rather than posting Doddridge and Ida, LA, or just Doddridge. The northernmost exit on I-49 in Louisiana now for Hosston and Gilliam makes sense rather than posting Texarkana temporarily for just one year.

US71

Quote from: bassoon1986 on July 08, 2014, 10:23:13 AM

Seeing this picture makes me wonder if the destinations at exit 4 on AR 549 in Arkansas will drop "Shreveport" once I-49 north across the state line is completed. I'm sure they posted that because they knew I-49 would not be completed for many years, rather than posting Doddridge and Ida, LA, or just Doddridge. The northernmost exit on I-49 in Louisiana now for Hosston and Gilliam makes sense rather than posting Texarkana temporarily for just one year.

US 71 was changed at Texarkana from Texarkana /Shreveport to simply Texarkana.

As far as the extra sign poles, that may be for more sturdiness in case there's a hurricane?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

formulanone

Minnesota seems to use extra "diagonal support" poles; Mississippi likes to use a few extra for no reason at all. Seems to be an odd waste, unless the terrain is really uneven, the sign is quite wide, or there's lots of wind in the area.

cjk374

It looks like regular u-channel posts having to hold up a large, heavy extruded sheet sign.  May need that many posts to hold it up.  It will also be easier to remove this sign once the interstate is finished.

Brian556

This type of sign is typically installed on 2 I-beans. They had to use four posts because they used less-sturdy u-channels. They probably chose U-Channels over I-beams due to the temporary nature of this sign.

At least they were thinking ahead. In Texas, when the new SH 121 freeway opened; Large signs that said "NO TOLL UNTIL [XX DATE]" were installed on permanent I-beams, wasting a lot of money, considering that they only lasted about a month.

apjung

Is I-49 open from Hosston to Rodessa-Ida Rd for local traffic?

apjung

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.