News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Your favorite US Highway?

Started by ColossalBlocks, February 15, 2017, 11:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck87

My quick locally biased answer would be US 20.

Though thinking about it more, I'd have to go with US 23.

Partly for sentimental reasons, such as being on it often to visit family in Columbus, Portsmouth, and later my sister when she went to college in Northeast Georgia, and also the fact it's the route that connects the Ohio State-Michigan rivalry. But I also like it for roadgeek reasons. I love the way it manages to hit NC, TN, VA and KY when going from GA to OH, so you get to see a lot of different states in a relatively short time, with all their different design, pavement and signing differences. I find it interesting how many different times and ways to changes back and forth from full freeway to expressway to divided highway and even two lane road, with plenty of interesting concurrencies along the way. I also like that it has a lot of scenic sections through mountains, such as the I-26 part across the NC/TN border, and my favourite scenic view on it would be what you see to the east when approaching Norton, VA from a few miles to the south.

23 is also the US route I've seen the most of, as the only parts of it I haven't seen are south of Atlanta and the part that follows the Lake Huron coast (which I'm sure would further cement this as my favorite US route if I saw it)

JCinSummerfield

US-41 in Copper Harbor country.

capt.ron

TheHighwayMan3561

US 61 from La Crosse to Grand Portage
US 41 in the UP
US 550 from Durango to Montrose
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Darkchylde

US 50, and it's not because I live about five blocks from it now. It also makes for an interesting cross-section of the nation when taken from end to (historic) end.

A close second for me would be US 287. It mostly follows its own unique routing that hasn't been largely supplanted by the Interstate (except for some of it in Colorado) and allows one to enjoy the trip from the bayous of extreme southeastern Texas, through the High Plains, and into the edges of the Mountain West as you go from Denver northward.

sbeaver44

Quote from: jmd41280 on February 18, 2017, 10:31:51 PM
In PA, I would go with US 30 and US 40.  I always like to take US 30 instead of the PA Turnpike whenever I go to Gettysburg.  It's a much nicer drive and goes through a variety of terrain and scenery, from the Allegheny Mountains to small towns to farms. 

I like US 40 in PA because of the history associated with the road and the small towns on it.  Plus, when the water is drawn down in the Youghiogheny Reservoir, you can see the old stone arch bridge that used to carry the National Road before the dam was completed.
I also enjoy PA 31 instead of the Turnpike, if you haven't tried that one out, I highly recommend it.  Plus, it ends at 30 just west of Bedford, so you can continue on 30.

I do love 30 between Bedford and Gettysburg though.

jmd41280

Quote from: sbeaver44 on March 04, 2017, 09:53:21 AMI also enjoy PA 31 instead of the Turnpike, if you haven't tried that one out, I highly recommend it.  Plus, it ends at 30 just west of Bedford, so you can continue on 30.

I do love 30 between Bedford and Gettysburg though.

Sorry for the thread bump here, but I've driven the entirety of PA 31 from West Newton to Bedford many times, and it is definitely worth the drive.  The stretch between Somerset and Bedford is especially nice.  Also, going westbound at the top of Chestnut Ridge (the westernmost ridge of the Laurel Highlands) on PA 31, you can see the Pittsburgh skyline about 40 miles away.

Going back to favorite US highways, I would also like to add US 50 between Rowlesburg, WV and Aurora, WV as it enters/leaves the Cheat River gorge.  Very scenic stretch, though very windy.
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

roadman65

US 81 in  all of Kansas and Oklahoma just south of the Kansas State Line.
US 412 from I-65 to Tulsa.
US 31 from I-465 to Kokomo.
US 127 the non freeway part north of St. Johns.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Desert Man

In CA, the 395 (still around) from Hesperia to Ridgecrest, but the historic routes 66 (Fontana is my birthplace-Foothill Blvd) and 99 (also crosses Fontana-Valley Blvd, but goes into my hometown Indio).

In numerology, 23 is a bad luck number, so US route 23 from Mackinaw City MI down to Jacksonville FL: it goes through declining, decaying, dying Detroit...also in Toledo. And in between Ohio river and Atlanta is the historical Cherokee Nation (KY, TN, NC and SC) in Appalachia, the poorest US region. And the 23 passes Macon "Whoopee".
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Desert Man on November 18, 2017, 10:18:32 PM
In CA, the 395 (still around) from Hesperia to Ridgecrest, but the historic routes 66 (Fontana is my birthplace-Foothill Blvd) and 99 (also crosses Fontana-Valley Blvd, but goes into my hometown Indio).

In numerology, 23 is a bad luck number, so US route 23 from Mackinaw City MI down to Jacksonville FL: it goes through declining, decaying, dying Detroit...also in Toledo. And in between Ohio river and Atlanta is the historical Cherokee Nation (KY, TN, NC and SC) in Appalachia, the poorest US region. And the 23 passes Macon "Whoopee".

Doesn't about 1/3rd of Imperial County California live below the poverty line?  That whole desert and San Joaquin Valley I would imagine would be pretty high on the whole.  Where are you seeing Appalachia as the poorest US Region? 

US 89

US 89 is almost certainly my favorite. I take it almost every day, and it goes through some incredibly scenic areas and national parks. Some of my other favorite highways include US 40, 64, 91, 93, and 189.

I might have to add 491 to that list, as I plan to clinch it next week (which would be my first US highway clinch).

Roadgeekteen

US 1. I live fairly close to it and I have the most memories from it.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

CNGL-Leudimin

US 121, the "Alanland highway" because it exists and doesn't exist :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

SectorZ

US 3. But not the stretch a few miles from me, but from Meredith NH to the Canada border, for a multitude of reasons.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: SectorZ on November 19, 2017, 10:15:04 AM
US 3. But not the stretch a few miles from me, but from Meredith NH to the Canada border, for a multitude of reasons.
What reasons?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Flint1979

My favorite US highway I'd say it's either US 12 or US 20.

One of my least favorite stretches of highway is a US highway the stretch of US 23 between Flint and Ann Arbor is a nightmare to drive only being a four lane expressway when the traffic volumes warrant at least a six lane expressway.

Desert Man

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 18, 2017, 10:22:26 PM

Doesn't about 1/3rd of Imperial County California live below the poverty line?  That whole desert and San Joaquin Valley I would imagine would be pretty high on the whole.  Where are you seeing Appalachia as the poorest US Region? 

The part of eastern KY, southern WV, westernmost VA and northern TN bundled together is notably high poverty region. The Indian reservations in the Dakotas (Standing Rock, for example) is also among the poorest in the nation. Some parts of Ark., Lou., Miss. and Ala. are highly poor. Areas along the Mexican border are quite impoverished - with exception of San Diego with northern San Diego county in the CA coast. And CA's farm valleys have low-income majorities alright (i.e. Kings County). 
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

nexus73

US 101 baby!  Over the years I wound up driving every single bit of it from I-5 to I-5, which sure sounds funny!  There is such a variety of urban and rural, inland and coastal, industrial and tourist, to check out.  Massive freeways to crooked narrow 2-lane, there's a section of road for everyone!  Then add in the bridges...

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Flint1979

US 23 does NOT go through Detroit and really doesn't go through Toledo either it misses Detroit by about 50 miles and is on the very western border of Toledo. US 12 and 24 are the only two US highways to enter Detroit and US 20 and 24 are the only two to run any course through Toledo.

Bickendan

US 30 (Oregon)
US 26 (Oregon)
US 14A (Wyoming)
US 101

NWI_Irish96

US 31, which I have clinched from the E/W split in Louisville all the way to its northern end.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

SectorZ

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on November 19, 2017, 10:50:52 AM
Quote from: SectorZ on November 19, 2017, 10:15:04 AM
What reasons?

Parents owned a campground site in Holderness on it for about a decade, it's quite scenic with varying types of scenery, and the last 30 or so miles before Canada is about as desolate as a roadway can get in non-Maine New England.

Henry

If we're only using active routes...

US 41, Lake Shore Drive
US 101, along the Pacific Coast
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

kkt

Brandon

Quote from: JCinSummerfield on March 03, 2017, 01:13:00 PM
US-41 in Copper Harbor country.

Likewise, US-41 from Marquette to Fort Wilkins.  Hell, I'd cross it almost every day for a few years.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.