News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Supreme Court Justices discuss Interstates in Montana

Started by kurumi, October 12, 2017, 02:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/08/politics/neil-gorsuch-john-roberts-rivalry/index.html

To avoid thread lockage, no discussion of politics, but an amusing interplay between Merrick Garland Neil Gorsuch and Chief Justice Roberts

As Roberts was referring to possible interstate routes across Montana, he said, "They're going to take -- what is it -- 95 across? Not 95. 90?"

Gorsuch interjected to set him straight: "I-80 across Montana."

Roberts responded with a jocular reference to Gorsuch's roots in Colorado. "There you go," he said. "It's that geographical diversity."

As the argument continued and other justices asked questions, Gorsuch began to have second thoughts. He checked an atlas requested from the court library, and then interrupted the session: "It's 90 across Montana. 80 across Wyoming. I'm very sorry, Mr. Chief Justice."

To laughter from spectators, Roberts rejoined, "Didn't I say 90?"
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

cjk374

Looks like somebody needs to sign up with aaroads and get some learning about them.   :bigass:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: cjk374 on October 12, 2017, 06:37:45 AM
Looks like somebody needs to sign up with aaroads and get some learning about them.

Yes, so that we can get them to eventually rule the use of Clearview unconstitutional. :bigass:

formulanone

Ash v. Toe, Rand v. McNally, and Thomas v. Brothers, set the precedence for 90 to be listed north of 80 for "routes containing red, white, and blue shields, except for the solely black-and-white ones, where it is reversed."

(Aw, I thought they'd challenge speed limit law and get about 10 of my tickets reversed.)

roadman

Quote from: formulanone on October 12, 2017, 07:00:08 AM
Ash v. Toe, Rand v. McNally, and Thomas v. Brothers, set the precedence for 90 to be listed north of 80 for "routes containing red, white, and blue shields, except for the solely black-and-white ones, where it is reversed."

And the lower court that upheld these legal precedents is the same one that heard the infamous "Coyote vs ACME" case:

https://la.utexas.edu/users/jmciver/357L/WileECoyoteVACME.htm

"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

hbelkins

Quote from: formulanone on October 12, 2017, 07:00:08 AM

Are we talking about SCOTUS or SCOA? (Supreme Court of Alanl...)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.