News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

US 202 Sinkhole Around King of Prussia

Started by 74/171FAN, July 10, 2023, 09:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Dough4872

Sinkholes seem to be a fairly common occurrence in the area, this one was just bad luck in that it developed along a major road.

ixnay

Quote from: Dough4872 on July 11, 2023, 08:12:38 AM
Sinkholes seem to be a fairly common occurrence in the area, this one was just bad luck in that it developed along a major road.

Northbound, it's on the approach to the Bridgeport/Dannehower Bridge split.  Part of the closed stretch is next to what looks like an abandoned quarry, whatever effect the ex-quarry's proximity has on soil stability in the neighborhood.

Apparently the soil condition under the ramp from wb 76 to sb 202/wb 422 was just as bad when a sinkhole formed there some time ago.

MASTERNC

Quote from: ixnay on July 11, 2023, 08:48:32 AM

Northbound, it's on the approach to the Bridgeport/Dannehower Bridge split.  Part of the closed stretch is next to what looks like an abandoned quarry, whatever effect the ex-quarry's proximity has on soil stability in the neighborhood.

Apparently the soil condition under the ramp from wb 76 to sb 202/wb 422 was just as bad when a sinkhole formed there some time ago.

There is a lot of limestone in the King of Prussia-Norristown area.  They had issues building the Mid-County Interchange on the Turnpike for the same reason.

Think that quarry is something related to the water company IIRC.  Maybe a reservoir?

ixnay

Quote from: MASTERNC on July 11, 2023, 09:23:18 AM
Quote from: ixnay on July 11, 2023, 08:48:32 AM

There is a lot of limestone in the King of Prussia-Norristown area.  They had issues building the Mid-County Interchange on the Turnpike for the same reason.

Think that quarry is something related to the water company IIRC.  Maybe a reservoir?

Settling of roadways and/or bridges at Mid-County maybe?

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Road Hog

Putting in a reservoir in a limestone-rich area seems like a recipe for disaster. Hope that was not the case.

Dough4872

SectorZ

Better than the other things occasionally simmering under Pennsylvania's roadways.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

MASTERNC

Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 14, 2023, 09:28:24 AM
(For US 202)   PennDOT - District 6 News: U.S. 202 North (Dekalb Pike) Closed at Henderson Road in Upper Merion Township Due to Sinkhole

Here we go again...

Right around the holiday rush to boot.  At least it's not by the mall, but it is by the largest Target in the area as well as several shopping centers.

storm2k

Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 14, 2023, 09:28:24 AM
(For US 202)   PennDOT - District 6 News: U.S. 202 North (Dekalb Pike) Closed at Henderson Road in Upper Merion Township Due to Sinkhole

Here we go again...

Oof. That's a bad place to have to close a major roadway like 202. Lot of traffic flows in that area. We have friends that live in the area and pass by this roadway all the time.

Fun fact, I got a flat tire from a rogue nail in the road construction that's happening just north of this area (on the other side of Norristown) earlier this year driving home from those same friends.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

(For US 202 and PA 29)  PennDOT - District 6 News: Sinkhole Repair Continues on U.S. 202 North (Dekalb Pike) in King of Prussia

QuoteA comprehensive sinkhole remediation project for U.S. 202 (Dekalb Pike), and for Route 29 (Morehall Road) in East Whiteland Township, Chester County, is scheduled to be advertised for construction this summer.

vdeane

Quote from: 74/171FAN on April 17, 2024, 08:11:27 PM(For US 202 and PA 29)  PennDOT - District 6 News: Sinkhole Repair Continues on U.S. 202 North (Dekalb Pike) in King of Prussia

QuoteA comprehensive sinkhole remediation project for U.S. 202 (Dekalb Pike), and for Route 29 (Morehall Road) in East Whiteland Township, Chester County, is scheduled to be advertised for construction this summer.
Does this have anything to do with that stretch that Google says is closed until April 2025?  And to think I wanted to clinch US 202 in PA this year...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

74/171FAN

Quote from: vdeane on April 17, 2024, 08:54:50 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on April 17, 2024, 08:11:27 PM(For US 202 and PA 29)  PennDOT - District 6 News: Sinkhole Repair Continues on U.S. 202 North (Dekalb Pike) in King of Prussia

Does this have anything to do with that stretch that Google says is closed until April 2025?  And to think I wanted to clinch US 202 in PA this year...

No, you are referring to the SB alignment in Norristown.

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 29, 2024, 03:09:53 PM(For US 202 SB)  PennDOT - District 6 News: Bridge Rehabilitation to Begin on Markley Street, Elm Street Bridge Over Stony Creek in Norristown - Bridge to close Monday, April 15 through April 2025

74/171FAN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.